Hey,

Apologies if this has been covered in the past. Anyway, I am playing the following lick.

Top three strings:

H  T    H    H   T

--------------13-16-19-------
--------------------------------
-13-16-19-------------------

Any suggestions about how to best mute the B-string when going to the F on the first string? If this was a picked lick, I would use my index finger to fret the F, but let it touch the B string to mute it. However because of the hammer from nowhere, this isn't working so well.

Any replies appreciated!
I would use my pick hand and mute it at the bridge personaly.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by Dithindious
I would use my pick hand and mute it at the bridge personaly.

Same here. Try that.
You could leave your finger from the 16th fret as a mute as your index finger moves on to the next string.

That and using your picking hand to mute it at the bridge at the same time would get rid of any excess noise if theres any left just in case.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You could leave your finger from the 16th fret as a mute as your index finger moves on to the next string.

That and using your picking hand to mute it at the bridge at the same time would get rid of any excess noise if theres any left just in case.

The problem with using my picking hand to mute is that those notes at the 19th fret are tapped, so my right hand is busy.

But I'll try using the 16th fret finger. Thanks!
In that case I would play it *it might be awkward for most but my hands are weird haha*

H  H  T      H  H  T
--------------13-16-19-------
--------------------------------
-13-16-19-------------------
  1  2 I       1  2  M

1,2,3,4 being left hand fingers, index to pinky obviously. The I being index on my other hand and the M being middle finger. Id leave my ring finger on my right hand on the string you need to mute and leave my right hands thumb across the other strings to mute them. Sounds awkward but if you give it a try its easier than it looks.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Last edited by Dithindious at Aug 27, 2008,
The reason it doesnt work is because you have to use your index as an active finger. The only things I can recommend are really being careful to not cause extraneous noise and a bit of careful right hand muting . I'll see if i can get a vid of me doing this nonsense and see if it helps.
So, basically this is a string-skipping-tapping lick? I'd suggest to practice the lick without the tapped notes first and concentrate on being very careful when switching the strings. When you're tapping, you can mute pretty much all the strings when you rest your palm on the strings. Other than that, there's no magic tricks. Just start slow and concentrate on not making noise when switching the strings.
Explaining overall muting while doing stuff like this is a PITA. Thankfully you gave a bit more specific stuff (muting the B string). I assume then that you don't have the G string's arp. ringing out?

There are a couple ways of going about this. The first is obviously just to not touch the B string.
From the G string, lift the fingers straight up taking care not to sound any strings and bring them to the E string completely over the G string. After a while you'll get used to doing this relatively low to the strings. Then press straight down on the E string. Practice this very slowly.

The thing that will help a lot is effectively what you described. When playing a note, you can fret the notes, mute the string Below it with the tip of the finger, and the string above it farther back on the finger. What you need to do is find where the closest point to the tip of the finger is that you can still mute the next lower string is. This is since it's more comfortable to fret closer to the tip (imo). Then you just have to get used to bringing it down in place so it frets the F and mutes the B. Practice this slowly until you get used to it. Also, You don't need to lift your finger that high off the strings to do this either, and doing so will only make it harder to be accurate.
The lick from fives really messes me up trying to do that....but in theory its easier because your muting hand is already very close to the string you want to mute.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Thanks so much for the tips! This really helps. I will work on it tonight and let you all know how it goes.

-Harry