what sort of format do they use,

do they write out all the exact notes or do they simply write down what scales, chords and what its gonna be in ?
Jam bands are the ones who put down the scales and chords for improvising, but usually musicians write a main melody and the chords for the song.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Depends on the style. A classical composer most likely writes and organizes on manuscript. A rock musician might just come up with a riff that they like, and build a song around it. I know many people who memorize the whole thing, and never write it down.

I usually find a riff, melody, or a good chord progression, and choose a key according to it, and start creating a song from it. I record each part and then put it all together, but since it usually sounds choppy, I always do a full take to get it down.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I think it depends on the type of musician you are. Some prefer writing down exact notes, while others like just doing the scales and chords. I myself prefer the later.
I consider myself more of a classical musician, so I like to have everything structured. I write down all of my themes, motifs and everything, then I add little melodic lines and everything else, and I tie it all together into a piece.
I write all of it down.

It takes a while, but there is no way I could remember everything I write. If you are only writing for guitar then it might be okay to just memorise most of it.
I can memorize most of the stuff that I write and really feel, and actually do remember stuff that I've done even a year and a half ago that I just never wrote down. But I prefer to record everything and write stuff out that needs to be written.

In terms of the process, each song is different for me, which I consider to be a good thing. Sometimes just changing the process that you use to write music will make you write something that's out of the ordinary for you. I like to change the process and experiment with different things.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by fenderstrat730

do they write out all the exact notes or do they simply write down what scales, chords and what its gonna be in ?

The first thing they usually do is have an idea in their head of what they want it to soud like - that comes before you even touch an instrument or write anything down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I write in guitar pro as well...RSE is cooler than MIDI...
I used to write it down in paper before...but it took time...
it truly depends on style...
I record everything. Once it's right it's set. That is the song. It's not a matter of scales and chords its a song. I'll play the song differently whenever I play it, sometimes the difference is big sometimes minute but the similarities always go beyond scales and chords but are more variable than exact notes and timing. I don't know how better to explain it.
Si
Quote by fenderstrat730

There are as many methods for writing music as there are musicians. There is no one format that all musicians follow.
shred is gaudy music
i wouldnt call my self a great musician hell i wouldnt call myself a good musician but i have never written anything down on paper except lyrics and thats just because if i can see it then it helps me write. but as far as the music i just record and listen to it later to freshen my memory if need be, if i dont remember it exactly oh well its my music ill improvise
i dont write anything down. all the songs in my band we have, we jam on, feel em out, talk it out, then practice it till we understand what we're doing. by then, ive got it memorized. occasionally ive been going back on parts i need to work on and figure out exactly what chords im playing. i tried putting a few of our songs into guitar pro, and honestly i couldnt do it. i mean i could, but not only do i suck at trying to get the rhythm right, but i lost interest before i got to the first chorus of the first song.

not to mention i dont want people knowing how to play my **** yet
Quote by GuitarMunky
There are as many methods for writing music as there are musicians. There is no one format that all musicians follow.

+1.

I personally just go in with an idea and work from there using what I know musically and my desired result. The only times I'm adamant about writing every little detail down is when I do composing for strings, choirs and such; I'm using Sibelius and everything gets notated exactly.
Quote by GuitarMunky

Totally.

As for me, I never think of any set parameters for my songs. I will think of a melody or riff or rhythmic pattern I like in my head, and pretty soon in my head I will have an entire band going. Then I will get all excited and start writing it out and playing it, then I will take it to my band members and we will jam on it for a while and start figuring out other parts, and we go from there.
its a chore to write it all out on paper or Guitar pro although gp's good for showing complex stuff to band members. My advice would be to record it or just write out chords if its just an acoustic thing to sing over.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.