So, like the title says, I'm looking for an upgrade from my basic little bedroom amp. I've been playing about a year and a half and think I'm about due for an upgrade. I'm currently using a Palomino V8. The question is, what's the next step in quality and volume without getting away from the bedroom player level? Price isn't really a factor as long as it's not some handmade boutique amp.

Or should I just invest in some more pedals or a new guitar to mix things up? I play a little bit of everything, from classical and country to some modern prog and metal.

I do a little jamming with friends, but never really anything with rough drumming, so a ton of volume isn't really what I'm looking for.

Any advice?
roland cube series. 15, 30 or 60 watt.

weighs roughly 16kg or 32lbs

very compact. reliable. LOUD for its size (if u turn it up lol). great sound. great versatility. effects. lines out.

i have a cube 60. fantastic practise/jamming amp. i've even gigged with it twice
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by noobguy
Or should I just invest in some more pedals or a new guitar to mix things up? I play a little bit of everything, from classical and country to some modern prog and metal.

I do a little jamming with friends, but never really anything with rough drumming, so a ton of volume isn't really what I'm looking for.

If you don't need more volume, you really have a nice little amp already. The next step would be either some vintage gear, or hand-wired boutique gear. I'd consider the Cubes to be a step down.

What's missing for you? If you're unhappy with your guitar, get another one! If you're looking to add some more interesting sounds to your mix, look into some quality pedals. Tough for me to make specific recommendations without knowing what you currently have, or what sounds you're looking for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What genres do you play? Are you unsatisfied with your sound? You have a pretty good bedroom amp, so definitely don't downgrade your amp to something like a Cube. (Not saying the Cube series is bad, I'm only saying the Palomino is better IMO)
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I think you need one of these and some pedals: http://www.portcityamps.com/twelve.html

Actually I have no idea. Like slats, I think you need to post what about your tone you find lacking. It could be that your Palomino fits some of your styles perfectly, maybe you should add another amp that is drastically different instead of just an upgrade of what you already have?
Quote by bigtimmy
roland cube series. 15, 30 or 60 watt.

Going from a valve amp to solid state amp in not an upgrade!
Quote by fergus74
Going from a valve amp to solid state amp in not an upgrade in your case

Fixed. There are plenty of SS amps that are better than tube, but probably not in his case.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Like I said, I play a bit of everything. For pedals I've got a BYOC Mouse and Tremelo, a Boss DD-3, and a Big Muff Pi. For a guitar I have an Agile AL-2500 with a SD JB/59 combo.

I'm fairly content, the only problem is the amp isn't too versatile. I can plug the pedals in and dial in a decent heavy tone, but playing clean the amp is fairly thin and the onboard gain is barely usable over about 10 o'clock; plus I still deal with some of that thin sound when playing heavy. I guess I'm mainly looking for something to give my amp some more punch, or a new amp that'll feel more well defined while not getting way too loud.

And I suppose Boutique may be the place to look, especially after seeing some of those amps posted. So how about a 1,500 limit for an amp and a head. Unless anyone has some options for my current setup.
MF and GC have some great deals on 18 and 33 watt tube amps right now. A 12" speaker is an upgrade in sound too.
just moving to a 5 watt 1x12 stack or combo amp is going to give you a much fuller sound than the 8in speaker your playing thru now. and using your pedals will give you several tonal options . or a move to like a BH handsome devil if you require more wattage and with pedals you can keep the volume low enuff for the bedroom.
I think you might do well with a little bump in wattage if you're looking for more from your cleans. I'd suggest you take a look at the Laney L20T. I have it's 5W little brother, and it's really a great amp. Excellent cleans, and plenty of gain on tap. Hand-wired. Just a nice amp. Not a terrible price in head form. The combos are very pricey.

Another amp I think you'll like is the THD Univalve. It's a simple amp, but the fact that you can put just about any tubes you want to put in it make it incredibly versatile. Buy a selection of tubes, and you'll never run out of flavors.

Combine either head with a reasonably priced 1x12 from Avatar wioth a decent speaker, and you'll be all set.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Traynor YCV50 or YCS50? They're good for hard rock or so I heard. They get very high reviews
"(Monster cable)....oh they're durable. You can
tie up people with it
"

- Slash