Page 1 of 2
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
What is a good brand of electric guitar strings that give the best sound?

For example, on my acoustic i use JP strings and sometimes elixers, but i am an electric guitar nooby so any help would be great.
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
oh and my electric guitar is an ibanez s520EX
KolosoK
474 IQ
I love DRs... but I've only used Ernie Balls and DRs, so I can't really compare them to other brands. Ernies aren't that good imo.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
pwrmax
Registered ... something
2,414 IQ
Elixer makes nice electric strings but they're not cheap. I use Ernie Ball because of the price and quality.
X-Boy
UG's Lefty Sri Lankan
960 IQ
How do daddario strings compare ??

That's all i use and maybe i should try new stuff ?
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
hearin a lot about the Ernie Ball strings. They must be pretty decent. I'm suprised there are no other mentionings. I browsed through the acoustic string post and saw all sorts of brands.

Anyone else have any opinions on the best sounding electric guitar strings?
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Ernie Ball seem to respond to dynamic playing a little better. I've tried basically every other brand you can mention and I've always found the others to sound a little flat and often produce too much low frequency for my liking. Ernie Ball are much more balanced and clear-sounding.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Moe.
UG Newbie
678 IQ
Ernie Balls or GHS boomers.
Signatures are overrated.
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
just so i can get a better idea, what strings are the bands like, KSE using and herman li and any other big band you can think of, using?
P.S. i know herman li isn't a band :P
Moe.
UG Newbie
678 IQ
Quote by dcvlehr
just so i can get a better idea, what strings are the bands like, KSE using and herman li and any other big band you can think of, using?
P.S. i know herman li isn't a band :P

Well..
Kirk Hammett, James Hetfeild, Story of the year, and a lot of other big name bands are using Ernie ball strings.
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
any particular model of Ernie Ball good for a decent price?
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
oh and apparently avenged sevenfold uses Ernie Ball
Moe.
UG Newbie
678 IQ
Quote by dcvlehr
oh and apparently avenged sevenfold uses Ernie Ball

There's a huge list of bands/artists on the back of each pack of Ernie Ball's that states who uses them.
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
so changing the topic to more specific...which type of ernie ball is the best for a more rock approach to guitar. And even some more alternative rock sound.
I see the following types listed:

Nickel Wound
Reinforced Plain Steel
Pure Nickel
Stainless Steel

And what guage would be fairly easy to play but not sacrifice sound. I like to use Medium and medium lights on my acoustic but any thicker would make it much more dificult to play.

What electric guage would be the equivilant to acoustic mediums i guess is what i'm saying
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
Quote by aaron6890
depends
i use regular slinky(10's) on all my guitars, and they can do anything from E to drop B comfortably (after actions adjustments) but if you're going lower, i'd say get 11s

what type? like nickel or steel or what?
Varius Strato
10 IQ
I realy love the set of Dimebag at DR.
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
redwolf206
78 IQ
I have GHS Strings on all of my guitars, try them out. Their cheap, strong, and the sound great.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
I have been doing some more research and those Ernie ball strings seem like the way to go
Farether
731 IQ
I use d'addario's I think there 10 times better than ernie ball. they last way longer than those
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Snake™
Bad2DaBone
2,639 IQ
Depends on how you like your strings for size. EB's are the way to go, the gauges are up to you. I personally use .10-.46., which is regular slinky.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
  • Orange Dark Terror w/Laney Cab
  • Blackstar HT Soloist 60
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
Sin City Sid
Cranky old man
243 IQ
The strings that sound the best to me are the cheapest ones in the store.
milkmanv1
509 IQ
^ahaha strings arnt really that expensive though.

Anyway, I used to use D'addario on my starter guitr, so I cant really tell you much about them. But I like many people swear by my Ernie Ball Super slinkys. Nice and light, SUPER bendy and sound nice and crisp.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Sin City Sid
Cranky old man
243 IQ
I don't hear a difference. I Play EB's most of the time cause they're cheap. Tried other brands, sound the same to me.
Acoustica99
25 IQ
acoustic mediums would be about 13 or 14 in electric srings, but not many people go that heavy on electrics, it'll give you a better sound though if that whats you want to play on.
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
Drop C seems to be my favorite tuning so far and i hear heavier gauges are best for the lower tunings.

I know a few people recommend .012-.052 for that. I'm no expert though. Just going off of what i've seen and heard.
lmihay
lmihay
121 IQ
I like D'addarios, they are the only strings I use, because of habit. But in my opinion strings are all pretty much the same. Except if they are ridicuosly cheap.
the Sinner
Asks for forgiveness
307 IQ
I use GHS Boomers and DR Tite-Fit's. They both last a long time and aren't prone to premature breaking. I prefer the GHS's for some reason though.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Iceman 420
UG's Poke-Penguin
1,360 IQ
GHS Boomers FTW!
My Gear:
Ibanez GRX20
Fender Esquire
Keeley TS808
BBE Free Fuzz
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Classic 50
Ovation Ultra 1528

"There are only two types of rock guitarists: Jeff Beck and everyone else."
-Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
Dudage
West Coast Islander
543 IQ
I still only really play Elixers. They're not that expensive and they have this awesome slippery feeling that lasts a pretty good amount of time. And the coating on the wound strings is totally awesome. My fingers always just seem to glide the best on 'lixers
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
dcvlehr
1,434 IQ
Quote by Dudage
I still only really play Elixers. They're not that expensive and they have this awesome slippery feeling that lasts a pretty good amount of time. And the coating on the wound strings is totally awesome. My fingers always just seem to glide the best on 'lixers

Ya, i love elixers on my acoustics. I have tried others like JP's and i will never use anything but elixers on my acoustic guitars ever again. But i haven't found a really great string for electric yet.
Zinnie
<3 Schecter
206 IQ
I use D'Darrio on my guitars, I think they sound awesome and they stay in tune quite well with my random floyd rose whailing. my friend made me try blue steel strings before too. They're like 5$ but sound really nice for metal. They have a cool ring to it
V.U.K
UG Board King
708 IQ
I like Dimebag Darrel's signature DR Strings .10-.46 gauge. They tend to produce a tight low-end, and a nice bright high-end. Not to mention, DR hand-wounds their strings.

IMO, DR and Ernie Ball Slinkys are your best bet.