My next neck (already planning next project while the first one isn't finished yet ) will be a 5pc laminate of figured maple on center and sides and then two stripes of some other wood in the middle. I've been thinking of wenge or bubinga and I already know a bit of their properties but what I'm looking for is some real hands-on experience of these woods (and maybe others suitable for this purpose). What are they like to handle and cut and so on? Recommendations?
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!
How's that for a compliment =)

My recordings
Wenge is nice, very chocolaty figure, it seems to be a little brittle to drill into though, and when you sand it the dust will get in the maple pores.

If you are going for figured maple neck I would go with very thin ebony (or dark wood) veneer laminates to get the most of the figure, it can look really nice, like so...

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/gallerypics/IMG_2614.jpg

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Wenge is nice, very chocolaty figure, it seems to be a little brittle to drill into though, and when you sand it the dust will get in the maple pores.

If you are going for figured maple neck I would go with very thin ebony (or dark wood) veneer laminates to get the most of the figure, it can look really nice, like so...

http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/galleries/gallerypics/IMG_2614.jpg

Actually I planned on doing the stripes a bit thicker, like maybe ~4mm. Well, I'll have to try and see what it looks like when I get the wood.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
I'm going for a 5-piece on my next build, too.

Maple, bubinga, maple, bubinga, maple - at 1/4", 1", 1/4", 1", 1/4". With that, I'm hoping that the maple will remove any chance of the neck warping, and the bubinga will give me a warm, full tone, similar to that of mahogany.

Edit: I could be totally wrong, though.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I'm going for a 5-piece on my next build, too.

Maple, bubinga, maple, bubinga, maple - at 1/4", 1", 1/4", 1", 1/4". With that, I'm hoping that the maple will remove any chance of the neck warping, and the bubinga will give me a warm, full tone, similar to that of mahogany.

Edit: I could be totally wrong, though.

Bubinga is actually a VERY solid wood. My friend(who is on this board) made a solid bubinga neck, all he did was ripped it down the middle flipped one of the pieces end over end and glued it. It looks sweets because all the grain lines up as arrows

I personally like wenge for my neck laminates, its VERY stiff, its a little tough to work with. And whomever stated that the wenge dust gets in the maple pores, The dust comes out... Once you've sanded up to 400 or whatever it is you will for final sanding, wipe the neck down with a DAMP cloth and everything will be fine.
wenge ftw.

nasty to work on though... dulls this sh*t out of your blades and such... get a good set of water stones...

I have a gorgeous bubinga piece i'm going to use as a fretboard... if you look up janka scales on google you'll be able to see the hardness of each wood... anything over the hardness and stress numbers of mahogany should be OK to use as a neck.

edit:
http://www.sizes.com/units/janka.htm

FTW
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
gotta love wenge
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
wenge is okay, its terribly uncomfortable to play on, and it expands like a son of a bitch. get some solid rosewood, i just got enough for 4 neck-through laminates and it looks total tits. it was only 16 dollars as well.
Quote by LP Addict
wenge is okay, its terribly uncomfortable to play on, and it expands like a son of a bitch. get some solid rosewood, i just got enough for 4 neck-through laminates and it looks total tits. it was only 16 dollars as well.

Its all about opinions really, I find my bass incredibly comfortable to play on and its got a thick wenge top and back and its a 5 piece maple with wenge laminate neck through.
Yep, rosewood might be good. About as tough as bubinga too. There's this place about one hour drive away where they say you can find just about any type of wood imaginable. It's just that they don't specialize in tonewood so you have to choose the wood yourself and then dry it properly. But because of this you get it cheaper And the drying doesn't matter because I think it'll take almost a full year before I get to begin the next one. I've ordered a bunch of pearl shell and a fingerboard blank and made a sketch of the next inlay and when I look at it, I think it may take a year to finish it Anyway, I'll probably choose among rosewood and bubinga for the stripes, whichever is darker / available at the moment.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
For the strips in the neck.. Do wenge, or ebony. iunno how good maple and bubinga would look together.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.