Hey everyone

Just wondering if my gear is holding me back? I've been playing for a while and am not new anymore (nearly 2yrs seriously). This is what i'm using:

-Squier Strat (affinity series if it makes a differnce)
-Fender 15G

let me know what you think, ok
Holding you back how?
It's probably only holding your ears back from finding good tone.
Signatures are overrated.
Not really... not unless it's terribly set or has any major problems like high frets or a messed up neck.

Other than that it should only be the sound you're getting.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Moe.
Holding you back how?
It's probably only holding your ears back from finding good tone.

+6675475786978464650875764678956746978567467
x4
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
with 2 years experience, i highly recommend you getting a new guitar and amp. What type of song are you into though?
actually, i meant holding me back in the sense of playing another persons song with the same sound, but umm... yeh.

thanks for the feedback anyway. I know its not impossible to make this guitar sound good, cause my guitar teacher makes its sound pretty dam good, just wondering if it would make me sound much better with a good amp and guitar?
Quote by ~Max~
actually, i meant holding me back in the sense of playing another persons song with the same sound, but umm... yeh.

thanks for the feedback anyway. I know its not impossible to make this guitar sound good, cause my guitar teacher makes its sound pretty dam good, just wondering if it would make me sound much better with a good amp and guitar?

It would make your tone a lot better
Okay, I've read this site a lot, and I have to say, there is an obsession with upgrading.

I play a squier standard strat, and after a while, I found I could bend better, fret cleaner, pick more aggressively and a few other things to tweak my tone, and it has made me a better player. So upgrading will change your tone, whether you want that or not. But as a guitarist, your gear is definitely not holding you back, at all, in fact, switching to a guitar with better playability (I will acknowledge this. I'll probably buy a MIM to replace the squier) later on will probably yield slightly better technique, assuming your squier is set up properly. It is hard to get a cheap guitar to sound great, and just as hard to get a good guitar to sound amazing.

But, you'll enjoy playing more if you aren't thinking about upgrading.
yeh, i might wait till i'm a little bit better and then get an upgrade. Cause i have to admit my amp doesn't provide the nicest tone. But i do love my squier, it has such a nice neck (from what i've seen ).

Thanks for the responses i'll think about for a while now!