I have a regular amp/cable for the guitar I'm currently using.

I'm wondering if I can use a bass on the equipment i currently have right now.
cable yes, amp, yes at low volumes

if it's loud, you'll blow the amp
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
cable = yes.
amp = only on low volumes. and turn down "high".
unless you want to blow out your speakers.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Quote by reaper_x
cable = yes.
amp = only on low volumes. and turn down "high".
unless you want to blow out your speakers.

No, turn down "low"
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
No, turn down "low"

you're the bassist.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
^^yes, but i dearly hope that if you MUST resort to a guitar amp, that you're not in any kind of band situation. you don't need to massively hold down the low end of you're just using the amp for practice (hopefully). keeping the lows and volume rolled down will keep you from blowing the speaker.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Read the FAQ---no on the amp. I had yet another example of this recently. The guitarist I play with loaned his battery amp to a bass player who pushed it a bit. While the amp did not smoke, God did inflict said amp with a infliction of the speaker which causes it to distort rather brilliantly in the upper ranges. The guitarist, who paid a good deal of US currency for the amp, was understandably not pleased and did rend his clothing and wail. I think there was a plague of locusts involved somewhere as well.
In a similar vein - can I use a bass amp for an electric guitar? I can't imagine it would damage the amp but would it sound decent?
Quote by drock5k
In a similar vein - can I use a bass amp for an electric guitar? I can't imagine it would damage the amp but would it sound decent?

Yes you can and it sounds lush. I play my son's telecaster through my Ampeg combo all of the time. Many blues guitarists use the older Bassman amps for this very reason.
Quote by goest
I love the sound of a guitar through a bass amp. It's so meaty.

Is it just me, or do bass amps also have less distortion when you turn up the volume as well? My guitar always sounds super-clean even through my tiny practice bass amp.
Quote by anarkee
Read the FAQ---no on the amp. I had yet another example of this recently. The guitarist I play with loaned his battery amp to a bass player who pushed it a bit. While the amp did not smoke, God did inflict said amp with a infliction of the speaker which causes it to distort rather brilliantly in the upper ranges. The guitarist, who paid a good deal of US currency for the amp, was understandably not pleased and did rend his clothing and wail. I think there was a plague of locusts involved somewhere as well.

Why would they smoke? o.O

Quote by goest
I love the sound of a guitar through a bass amp. It's so meaty.

I've tried playing guitar through my Ashdown MAG 300 and it didn't sound any better than a cheap tube amp.
The sub woofers can't push out any of the high notes on the guitar.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

I've tried playing guitar through my Ashdown MAG 300 and it didn't sound any better than a cheap tube amp.

I guess it's just the rythym player in me...I'm not much of a lead guitar player, but can dish out the rythym like no other 7 month experienced guitar player...

You'll notice the general sarcasm and self deprication of the previous statement, I hope
Quote by Woogles

I have no problem with a guitar through a MAG300 and a 410. Then again, I play mostly Tool type guitar stuff that's very effects laden, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Quote by drock5k

I think it's a very-much "if it's your thing" situation. Typically bass cabs have tweeters, and guitar cabs do not. That means you're getting a lot more low end, and a LOT more high end out of a bass cab than you usually would out of a guitar cab. Distortion may sound harsh and there's a lot of string chatter and the like. Clean tone is godly, however. Also, bass amps tend to use active EQs, which are very, very different sounding and playing beasts than those silly guitar passive EQs. 0 on a bass amp is typically '10' on a guitar amp.
Quote by Woogles

Wow, that's amazing - bass amps make solid state sound like tube! And what's wrong - did you turn your tweeter off?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..