I have the opertunity to get a Fender 62 vintage reissue for a grand. Is this a good bass for classic and blues based rock?
Well, what is it?
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by stewburner
I have the opertunity to get a Fender 62 vintage reissue for a grand. Is this a good bass for classic and blues based rock?
All that you will have is a new version of an old model.
There is no way that a reissue can be the same as an original other than appearance.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by stewburner

yes
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I was wondering the what level player that would respond. a custom shop vintage reissue will play and look like the origional the omly difference is a origional issue will be worth at least 10K origional spec's are origional spec's. get knowledge it will get you further in life.
I'm kinda confused about these responses... unless the original post was changed or something.

The '62 Reissue is a great piece, and that price is a steal, really. The custom shop ones are made by hand, and the NOS custom shop ones are about a grand and change more than a new American Vintage Series.

Keep in mind 2 things - the American Vintage series has a nitro finish, which means it'll wear like old basses. Rumour has it that Fender has some sort of epoxy under the finish to make it more sturdy, but it'll still wear more like the old instruments much more than poly finished (Fender past 1968) instruments do.

Secondly, the bass has a 1.75" nut width, which is the nut width of some 5-strings. It's WIDE.

So, in conclusion, it's a solid bass for a great price, and I wholeheartedly recommend it if that's your cup of tea.

It's the same bass James Jamerson used. Nuff said.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thank you that is much more useful information then the first four -------- responses. I'm not a child an I like adult serious conversations. My shoes are probably older then some responders.
Quote by stewburner
Thank you that is much more useful information then the first four -------- responses. I'm not a child an I like adult serious conversations. My shoes are probably older then some responders.

The bass itself is amazing sounding, from what I've experienced. I also love the 1.75" nut width. It gets two thumbs up from me. Just letting you know, I would revise this comment you made when you're talking with John Swift. I've seen people here mention him as "the ancient one." Enough said.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by thefitz
It's the same bass James Jamerson used. Nuff said.

Since when do you like Jamerson?

But seeing that Fender was the instrument of some 90% of blues and classic rock bands, and '62 basses were commonly used, its a no brainer if you like the feel.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Just letting you know, I would revise this comment you made when you're talking with John Swift. I've seen people here mention him as "the ancient one." Enough said.

I believe his comment is quite justified. Looks like a little brown-nosin' to me...
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by IndianRockStar
Since when do you like Jamerson?

Never did. However, it doesn't change the fact that using him as an example can show exactly what this bass can get done.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I love this bass and yes, you can get a wonderful classic R & B / Motown / Soul sound out of these babies and so much more. This and the 51 Precision Reissue are the basses I tend to use when trying out amps at places like GC (which tends to confuse the staff for some reason I can never fathom). Is it worth the money, oh yes, they are.

And stewburner, age is nothing. Its all in the attitude and how you present yourself. Damn, I probably have tour shirts and Doc Marteens older than you and then some, lol.
(furthering Anarkee's point) Yeah. I love the fitz, but I'm 18 he's like, 80 and we act like we're both 10.

That will certainly work. And if you don't like it, we can trade. I got a good fretless Ibanez starter.

and Tam, v. 2 was just sent.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
(furthering Anarkee's point) Yeah. I love the fitz, but I'm 18 he's like, 80 and we act like we're both 10.

Only in spirit, only in spirit.

I haven't played the '62, but I have played the '57 very often (maple necks are my weakness) and it felt solid - but this one particular instrument I played was, no lies, probably 5 lbs. It was scary light. That's not good.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by NakedBassist
I believe his comment is quite justified. Looks like a little brown-nosin' to me...

Well it probably would to you.

I had an original 1965 Fender Jazz Bass (Noel Redding type), the last UK price that I saw for a recent Noel Redding replica/reissue was £2,100 GBP/$4000 USD.

I cetainly would not have paid that price just because it is a reissue of a bass that would have just been a bog standard run of the mill production in 1965.

The next obvious question to follow is just how good or bad are todays run of the mill (Fender USA) instruments if a reissue cost more than twice as much?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Well, to be fair, I think of it like this - Fender has really got their costs down with their CNC routing and many cost-saving construction techniques. These American Vintage Series builds the basses the old fashioned way, which probably aren't as economically effecient as the newer basses. Same thing with the old pickups and nitro finish. All of these things are done in much smaller numbers in cumbersome ways, and that results in a higher price that I can understand. However, how much higher? That I can't say. I bet there's a bit of a 'vintage hike'. I understand what you mean by 'how crappy is the current stuff if it's half the price of the old fashioned stuff', but I think that speaks more to the construction techniques of the old fashioned stuff than the quality of the new stuff.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
In the body of my old 65 Jazz Bass were two thin plugs, my local guru told me it was where they were held in the spindler/router when the body shaping and routing were done.
As you say there will obviously be more cost for a limited run but I do feel that up to a point these so called reissues will be part of the normal production run and then a few taken out for more personalised finishing, it's a bit like the natural finish instruments they are selected for the quality of the timber used in that particular body; the less attractive bodies are passed on for painting over.
Thankfuly modern techniques have reduced the final cost, in 1963 a Jazz Bass was around £165 GBP $320 USD which at that time in the UK was 16 weeks wages, today this would make a Jazz Bass £4800 GBP or around $9000 USD.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Well, a 4800 pound bass is more like a $6000 bass stateside! :P:

But wow, that really puts things into perspective. Especially Entwistle buying Danelectros for their strings and their strings alone. Owning a Jazz was like owning a Streamer Stage II now, at least.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Well, a 4800 pound bass is more like a $6000 bass stateside! :P:

But wow, that really puts things into perspective. Especially Entwistle buying Danelectros for their strings and their strings alone. Owning a Jazz was like owning a Streamer Stage II now, at least.

jazzes were like the yachts of the bass world. all the rich kids had them.

now everyone can afford them. does this mean I can get a cheap Pedulla in 40 years?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom