After talk of the Ebow thread on here I got to thinking the other day of how to build my own sustainer. I will be getting 2 strat copies from my friend for free soon because he got them for free and he likes what I have done with the last two strat copies I got. I am thinking of canabalizing one strat's pups to make the sustainer for the other while keeping the functionality of all 3 pickups. This is what I came up with.

Firstly I would take the neck and bridge pups from one strat, and fit one between the bridge and middle pup, and the other between the middle and neck pup. This will make it look like a strat with 5 SCs. You take the neck and bridge pup to avoid any posibilities of RWRP. You take the out put of one pup and run it straight into a LM386 chip amp. You could turn a tone control into a gain control for the chip, because who really needs two tones? I don't even use one. LM386 chips if I remember don't like anything below a 4ohm resistance, which should be fine as I would hope the cheep pup would have more then take. The out put of the LM386 would be wired to the second SC. A switch could also be added to reverse the hot/ground conections to the pup.

In theory, the strings will vibrate through the magnetic field of the first SC and will induce a current through the wires. This is in effect an electric generator. Mechanical movement being turned into electricity. The signal produced goes to the LM386 chip and has its voltage increased, amplified. Since electric motors and electric generators are the same thing, just working in different directions, we can assume that the amplified signal is going to flow into the second SC and will change the magnetic field and will cause the strings to vibrate.

Well, I was then thinking, what if I reversed the signal to the out put SC, well, my thought is that we could make a reverse sustainer. That is a devise that will work to make your notes and chords as short as possible. While this may not be considered favorable to some, it might be useful for some cool effects, and I think it should sound very stucato (sp?)

I will try this once I get the guitars and post what happened.