Stevie Ray Vaughan's clean tone up until he kicks in some OD at 1:13 in this vid is DELICIOUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDBIbJKjAZQ

I just want to get some tips on how to get a tone identical to that, without having to dish out boatloads of cash on old fenders and tube screamers...

I know he uses a strat and really thick guage strings (not sure how thick), but i was wondering if theres anything else besides that
Vintage Fenders and Tubescreamers...

What gear do you have?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Dude, why do you think musicians use vintage fenders and the like, you can't get that tone cheaply
I've never seen that performance of that song before. Probably my favorite one so far.

The amp is a super reverb. He keeps the midrange high and bass and treble between 4 and 6. The guitar has 1959 pickup and the magnets were very weak which is why he used such heavy gauge strings. Smaller strings meant the pickups were not strong enough. He had a tube screamer, and he cranked the volume on his amp.

You don't need to have that rig to get a tone that is close, but changing any 1 parts could mean changing everything in order to the tone.

So to let you know what you need to get, we need to know what you already have.
Not taking any online orders.
i have a parker p-44 and i play through a carvin v3

and just because i dont have single coils, i know it might be hard to acheive his sound, but i'd like to try
MUST....BUY.....MORE.......PEDALS.....!
You can't even get close with normal humbuckers. My texas 2face will get you that close as long as you use a coil split switch, but otherwise I can't think of anything that will get you that tone from a humbucker. The seymour duncan stag mag is pretty good and swineshead has a pickup that will get you isn't bad but I can't be arsed to look it up...
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 27, 2008,
Get a guitar from a pawnshop, some old fenders (vibrolux especially), and use a tubescreamer in front. honestly, SRV didn't use expensive guitars. if i remember correctly, all his guitars were from pawnshops and bought for like $350 bucks and under. i think stevie's most expensive thing was a Dumble SSS amp, which is costs quite a bit, but i think a fender (try like a 62 reissue or something more from the 60s) with some low output pickups (i think fender makes a 69 set of pickups, or something like from the 60s that's pretty low output) and tubescreamer in front of a cranked fender amp would get close. For a budget, try a MIM Strat with Fender Texas Special pickups (or the 60s pickups i mentioned earlier) through a tubescreamer then into a Blues Junior; should get you a similar mojo without the ear splitting volume or vintage prices.
youre not gonna get SRV tone. impossible. maybe similiar with a strat though.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by RG_FANMAN
Get a guitar from a pawnshop, some old fenders (vibrolux especially), and use a tubescreamer in front. honestly, SRV didn't use expensive guitars. if i remember correctly, all his guitars were from pawnshops and bought for like $350 bucks and under. i think stevie's most expensive thing was a Dumble SSS amp, which is costs quite a bit, but i think a fender (try like a 62 reissue or something more from the 60s) with some low output pickups (i think fender makes a 69 set of pickups, or something like from the 60s that's pretty low output) and tubescreamer in front of a cranked fender amp would get close. For a budget, try a MIM Strat with Fender Texas Special pickups (or the 60s pickups i mentioned earlier) through a tubescreamer then into a Blues Junior; should get you a similar mojo without the ear splitting volume or vintage prices.

You might want to buy a set of Fender '69 Custom pickups.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."