I've decided I'm going to upgrade my laptops sound hardware so I can record properly and make it worth my while investing in some proper equipment (Mics and such).

What should I be looking at. My lappy is an Acer Aspire 5720z.

Cheers.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
Creative Xtreme XFi Music

under 200US.

Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Get proper recording interface. Look into USB and Firewire offering from M-Audio, PreSonus, Tascam, Makcie etc. Go to Musicians Friend and look in the recording section they have a whole area dedicated to recording interfaces.

-M-Audio's Fast Track Series
-PreSonus Inspre

You, should be able to pick one of these up for less than $200 and the sound quality will be above and beyond anything Creative has ever dreamed about bringing to market.

What budget do you have?

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I think the PreSonus Inspire 1394 is a great unit however Acers normally dont have a firewire port, (my 5570Z doesnt at least) so you will want to get one of those cards for the slot on the laptop to add a firewire port.

If you simply want to stick with USB I suggest the EMU 0202 or 0404.
I love my Emu-0404 but you have to buy a mic pre amp. I picked one up for around $29, the sound card is PCI and ran me about $99. Zero latency. Just a Thought if you are comfortable opening your computer up and if you have an open slot.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
The 0202 and 0404 have on board preamps....
and it's an external USB unit, not PCI

Any preamp under $600 wont show any noticeable improvement. The only thing you may get is a little more or less hiss when cranking the levels up really high.

For PCI interfaces, most dont have any good inputs or preamps (M-Audio 24296 for example) and in that case you need to run a preamp before it.
I still think outboard interfaces are the best way to go though.
Quote by moody07747
The 0202 and 0404 have on board preamps....
and it's an external USB unit, not PCI

Any preamp under $600 wont show any noticeable improvement. The only thing you may get is a little more or less hiss when cranking the levels up really high.

For PCI interfaces, most dont have any good inputs or preamps (M-Audio 24296 for example) and in that case you need to run a preamp before it.
I still think outboard interfaces are the best way to go though.

That's weird cause this is what I have:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=505&subcategory=491&product=10447

Looks pci to me and I remember installing it, and no it doesn't have a pre amp. Now then the usb version is a whole different monster and I don"t know much about it. what you are talking about is this one:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Last edited by geeve420 at Aug 27, 2008,
I was talking about the outboard USB units, what you have is the 0404 PCI and yes that needs preamps.
Loss of communication...haha

I actually forgot EMU had a PCI version, I should have stated that I Was talking about the USB version.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 29, 2008,
Right on! I think we both missed what the other was saying . To clarify for the pre amp, I use mine really for the +20db gain and phantom power, but I could see were the USB version would be easier to use, depending of course on your set up I also realize he said laptop, ooooooops! my bad
Quote by dubstar92
Last edited by geeve420 at Aug 27, 2008,
I use the Lexicon Omega, and external sound card, and love it.
I suggest getting some external audio interface with a preamp. I'm using M-Audio FireWire 410 and I've got no complaints about it.