How come on vintage guitars, or relics, there are spots above the pickguard where the paint seemed to have worn off?

http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com/images/FRUSCIANTE%20FENDER%20STRATOCASTER%20A53.jpg

http://tdmiller.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/john-mayer-black-strat.jpg

When, in playing guitar, do you even touch this spot?
How then, would it get worn naturally?
I don't think I've ever once put a finger there while playing my guitar.
sometimes you hit that spot while strumming hard. as for the part on the contour of the guitar is due to having your arm resting on that spot.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by kimthekiller07
i thought that yellow paint was piss

stop posting plz.

evening_crow is right, guitars usually get scuffed up there when you play hard - my guitars actually get scratched there REALLY badly pretty fast because my clumsy right hand strumming (i'm lefty but i play righty, so my right hand isn't the most.. controlled...) usually makes the pick catch there, and i use a brass thumbpick which gouges into the finish like a knife.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The second one, also know as Rory Gallagher's Strat or it atleat looks like it, saying it's John Mayer's, the paint on that came partially off due to it being left out in the rain, cause it was stolen. And then he had acidic sweat with helped a bit.

And think of when you are playing high notes, your skin'll be rubbing agains that little bit, which pretty much will happen if you play up high. And the dings and stuff in the horn of it would be from them being a clumsy twat and accidentaly bumping into it.

I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
The second one, also know as Rory Gallagher's Strat or it atleat looks like it, saying it's John Mayer's, the paint on that came partially off due to it being left out in the rain, cause it was stolen. And then he had acidic sweat with helped a bit.

Actually, that's John Mayer's Custom Shop Relic?
Quote by cratskomodo
Actually, that's John Mayer's Custom Shop Relic?

Looks like Rory Gallagher's.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero