Hi,

Im planning to buy a Engl Screamer 50 combo so I was wondering if any of you have expierence with it.

- Do you own it? (How long?)
- Do you like it?
- What are the negative things about it? (And the positive.)
- How much did you pay for it?
- Is it reliable?
- Is it loud enough for small gigs and bedroom practice?
- What band sounds can you get out of it?
And the last one:
- Would you buy another one if it got stolen?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by Gryphon999
Hi,

Im planning to buy a Engl Screamer 50 combo so I was wondering if any of you have expierence with it.

- Do you like it?
- Is it reliable?
And the last one:

Thanks in advance

fix'd

and im sure it would be loud enough.

edit: check the reviews section.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by Hoodoo Child
fix'd

and im sure it would be loud enough.

edit: check the reviews section.

Only 2 reviews and they dont mention any negatives and i would like to know those to.
I personally don't own one, but I played the head at a music shop one time. It's extremely loud, way more than enough for bedroom practice and would easily handle small gigs.

Negative things I would say is the one EQ shared by all four modes and how you need a Z-5 to change all the channels (I think, I'm pretty sure anyway.) Good things are the sound, it sounds amazing, also it has inbuilt reverb which I like, but you may not. ENGLs have a reputation for being built like tanks, so reliability isn't too much of an issue. Check out some HarmonyCentral reviews for reliability issues.

I got a high gain metal tone out of it with ease, and the gain was at about 1 O'Clock, so expect it to cover from mid-gain rock (possibly lighter gain stuff too, didn't really try that end of the spectrum) all the way up to uber br00talz grindcore or deathmetal. The cleans I didn't try too much either cause I was really going for gain, being a gain ***** as I am. But from what I remember, the cleans were nice.

For my needs, it just wasn't versatile enough, if it had a split EQ, one for clean and one for dirty, then I would've defimitely considered as my next amp, but I'm good with my Trilogy. Definitely try and get your hands on a Screamer, if only to try it out. You won't be sorry, it's a great sounding amp.
I've owned one for about 6months and then sold it.
I did like it at first. It is perfect for a distinctive really heavy metal distortion and also have very good cleans.
I wish there would be separate EQs for clean and crunch channel.
I think It's very reliable^^
I'm quite sure it will be loud enough
Can't give you any direct hints to what sounds you'll get but anything heavy. Meshugga played/plays them
And no, I would't buy a new one because it doesn't fit my style and sound =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I don't own one, but i've played them several times:

Do you own it? (How long?) ---------

- Do you like it? yes, for the money in europe it's very good for a wide range of tones. None of them are "bad", either.

- What are the negative things about it? shared eq; it's pretty bright-sounding; doesn't sound quite as good as the more expensive engls; allegedly the head version sounds slightly better; perhaps suffers a little from "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" syndrome; footswitch costs extra.

(And the positive.) wide range of good-sounding tones (including modern high gain); pretty good value in europe; newer ones have celestion vintage 30 speaker; 4 footswitchable channels and footswitchable master volume.

- How much did you pay for it? -----

- Is it reliable?------

- Is it loud enough for small gigs and bedroom practice? definitely, i'd have thought.

- What band sounds can you get out of it? more or less everything from fender cleans through to modern metal. it does sound pretty "american", though.

And the last one:

- Would you buy another one if it got stolen? -------

hope that helped. sorry if some of the negatives sounded harsh- i do think it's one of the best, if not the best, value versatile tube combos on the market; just i only think it's fair to point out the negatives too. If you're in the UK, a laney tt50 combo would be worth looking into too, as would a koch twintone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, about 9 months.

- Do you like it?
I love it

For a combo its pretty damn heavy, it's a little bright and the shared EQ(although I kind of like the simplicity)

Positives: It does everything. It's built like a tank. ENGLs strike fear into the non-believers.

Hmm I can't remember exactly but I think I got mine for 1,100 with the z-5 footswitch because musicians friend had a sale going on.

- Is it reliable?
Yes

One thing I have always loved about this amp is that it still sounds great at low volumes. It's definitely loud enough for band practice and gigs.

Tons...

And the last one:

I would, but I very well might get a Blackmore or Invader if I was to buy a new amp.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by backtothe70s
Meshugga played/plays them

Meshuggah use Vetta II's and used to use PODS before that, and early on i believe they used Marshall Valvestates. Never did they use Engls.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by thefrigginbob
-One thing I have always loved about this amp is that it still sounds great at low volumes.

ah, i forgot about that one. That's a very big positive with engls, while they do sound at their best cranked up, they sound remarkably good at lower volume levels- i'd go so far as to say that they sound among the best tube amps I've tried, if not the best, at lower volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Meshuggah use Vetta II's and used to use PODS before that, and early on i believe they used Marshall Valvestates. Never did they use Engls.

really? I was sure they did but maybe I mixed it up wih some other band... sorry
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Quote by backtothe70s
really? I was sure they did but maybe I mixed it up wih some other band... sorry

when I saw them live they weren't even using cabinets, just the Line6s directly into the PA
though it was a whopping huge festival PA
You're a lucky man. Meshuggah are sweds and they never even play here =(
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor