So I've been playing a fair bit on the acoustic over the sumer holidays (just been learning a shed load of fingerpicking style songs) and i feel its about time to invest my well earned money into a new one as all ive got is an Encore acoustic that my uncle gave me a bit back. The Ovation Applause Deluxe has recently caught my eye but i just wondered if its good value for the money as i am aware it is a budget guitar within the Ovation range, I',m willing to spend up to around £250 but the less the better 'cos i hate to part with my well earned cash.

Any advice is appreciated

Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
Ovations ive always found to be a love hate thing due to the material of the back of the guitar, ive never liked them to me they dont sound like the tone for an acoustic i go for in my head so play before you buy - for top quality at low prices check out yamaha or tanglewood they tend to be really well made. You could always go used and get a bargain for that much.
Aye, they do look really nice though ^^ I've also heard that they play better through an amp rather than by themselves which aint really what I'm after,
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I have to agree with nathhan, I have an Ovation just sitting in my room gathering dust. I played it for a week before I realized how bad it really sounded and how hard it was just to sit in my lap. But this is my opinion of the guitar. It really is a love/hate relationship with those round backs. You'll never know until you sit down and spend some quality time with one.

EDIT:
I think if you are looking for a good sounding, low budget acoustic, you should look at some of Takamine's guitars. I've always loved them, and I'm always playing my uncle's when I head that way.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
When I was a new guitar player and picking out my first acoustic, I looked at Ovation guitars. I thought the sound was alright, but the back made it exceedingly difficult to play since it kept sliding off my legs. That was the main reason why I didnt but one as my first guitar. Dont buy something that's not comfortable. You'll regret it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I absolutely love Ovations. I would certainly have a Balladeer if I could afford one. The Celebrity range, however, is not a guitar that would make me happy. Read the reviews and play one in the shop. Maybe it's something for you. They're well finished and sturdy build. Certainly they offer the least expensive way of making yourself owner of a real top brand guitar. On the downside is the somewhat dull sound (all Celebritys have shallow bowls and most have laminated tops) For an A-brand it may be cheap, but for it's specs it's not. Other equally priced guitars have more to offer.
Thanks for the input guys

I think you've persuaded me away from the ovations, i guess i really need to go test a few before i make my mind up,

What should I look/listen for when testing them out?
Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
i have an applause A/E with a roundback and i absolutely love it. It sounds greats and it is beautiful. But dont be fooled the roundback will take time to get used to
Pot
Kettle
Black
When I first go for a guitar, I just look. Trust me, a couple will catch your eye. Second, sit down with it and play it. And don't baby it just because you are in the store, play it like it's already yours. Action is always the most important technical factor for me when buying an acoustic. Make sure the guitar has the sound you're looking for, whether it be deep bass or warm treble tones. See what it's made of. I'm not too knowledgeable about the different woods, so maybe someone else can chime in with that.

As to what you should specifically be looking for in the construction and craftsmanship of the guitar, I don't know. Not that technical, I just pick it up and play it. Good luck on the hunt, let us know what you decided on when you decide.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Quote by apec_solo_king
When I first go for a guitar, I just look. Trust me, a couple will catch your eye. Second, sit down with it and play it. And don't baby it just because you are in the store, play it like it's already yours. Action is always the most important technical factor for me when buying an acoustic. Make sure the guitar has the sound you're looking for, whether it be deep bass or warm treble tones. See what it's made of. I'm not too knowledgeable about the different woods, so maybe someone else can chime in with that.

As to what you should specifically be looking for in the construction and craftsmanship of the guitar, I don't know. Not that technical, I just pick it up and play it. Good luck on the hunt, let us know what you decided on when you decide.

Thanks man

I plan on going this weekend, only problem is when i go with my mates (all considerably better than me) I just get a complete musical block ^^ so I might have to roll solo at least I'll be able to have a proper play and get a feel for all the guitars withing my budget

Quote by A Rolling Stone
i have an applause A/E with a roundback and i absolutely love it. It sounds greats and it is beautiful. But dont be fooled the roundback will take time to get used to

I've sort of gone of the ovation now, I think the only reason I wanted one was for the aesthetics and the fact that my mate's dad's got one of the expensive ones and it plays like a dream but obviously its several times out of my budjet if i see one applause ill give it a bash and let you all know

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help

Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head
So, did you go grab a new guitar or what? Keep us updated man, I want to see what you decide on!
update, never got chance to go down to the guitar shop

SHOULD be going this weekend if i'm lucky enough, dont worry ill come straight to UG as soon as ive got it

Quote by Skwisgar

Quote by Diet_coke_head