Page 1 of 2
hey, i'd like to know your opinions on what pickups would be the ideal combination for a les paul. as for genre of music, i play classic rock. i'm on a quest for jimmy pages tone.

that aside, what choice of pickups would u fit into a les paul (both neck and bridge), not really to emulate jimmy page, but the best combination for classic rock. versatility will not be a big factor.

as for price, leave that aside for now.

thanks
Quote by andrew.tran
take out the pickups and play it like an acoustic guitar

well that was resoundling hilarious..................................

*tumbleweed*

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
some sort of vintage PAF, i believe thats what he used....
do a search for the CROTM Jimmy Page thread, that'll give you all the info you need on his rig.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
some sort of vintage PAF, i believe thats what he used....
do a search for the CROTM Jimmy Page thread, that'll give you all the info you need on his rig.

i dont necessarily want the jimmy page tone. i would be happy if one day i could actually sound exactly like him, but right now i want a tone that would suit that genre nicely.

and i'm going to invest in a a rockerverb 50 so, u guys dont need to give me suggestions like look to get a better amp cos i know that alrdy.
aye, well PAFs are the go-to pickup when it comes to classic rock.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
bareknuckle makes PAF copies

they actually have a black dog set for getting that jimmy page sound

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by DudeLove
any good examples?

The new Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's are excellant. They have a bridge model with higher output and a standard model which would be great in the neck.

Theyre essentially good old fashioned PAF's Warm and articulate
Bridge - Dimarzio Norton
Neck - Dimarzio Paf Pro
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Maybe Bareknuckle 'Mules'. They are exact replicas of PAFs. Or the Black Dog ones. I dunno.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
how abt the riff raff ones. i just visited their website and heard some demos. seems like ppl keep recommending bareknuckles when it comes to PAF replicas..
Quote by DudeLove
how abt the riff raff ones. i just visited their website and heard some demos. seems like ppl keep recommending bareknuckles when it comes to PAF replicas..

The Riff Raff ones are for AC/DC I think, mainly because they are named after a song or album of a perticular artist, apart from 'Mules'.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
hahah but so many of their pickups are named after songs!!

gibson t-tops? sorry but i've nvr heard of them before..
probably Dimarzio 36th anniv PAF or Duncan Custom 5.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
surprised no-one's mentioned seymour duncan yet-they make exact replicas of pretty much anything and for the the older gibsons, they use the original winding machine that was used when the original gibsons came out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCqrGyEJFqc&feature=related

Also, (stupid question I know) but what does PAF stand for how is it different to normal humbuckers? I know it's something to do with gibsons and more specifically the 59 les paul but that's it.
Last edited by Cachao at Aug 28, 2008,
PAF stands for patent-applied-for. dont ask me why. its the first humbucking pickup in the world. thats why it has that vintage tone.

and abt seymour duncuns, what do u guys think of the SH-55 seth lover? it will definietly be less costly than bareknuckles.
Quote by al112987
Look for a replica of the Gibson T-Tops.

Bingo! If you want something similar to his 1972+ tones, a T-Top or similar in the bridge is the way to go. The T-Top was a later Gibson pickup, had a "T" molded on the bobbin. Page's bridge PAF failed in 1972 and was replaced with a T-Top. This is where his subtle quack/honkiness came from starting in '72. And for what it's worth his neck remained a PAF, measures in a 8.1k.

I liked the Seth Lovers. I'd say mix things up, toss the Seth Lover in the neck and '59 in the bridge. The '59 has some T-Top-ish qualities to it, will have a little more bite than the Seth Lover in the bridge. That'll get you ballpark Page tones and will be fine for classic rock overall.

Please keep in mind the amp is more influential than pickups, what amp do you have now?
I'd say go for Bareknuckle Mules. I know Gabel has a set of Mules in his Les Paul, and through his Rocker 30, it nails British classic rock tone no problem. But generally speaking, PAF's are the way to go.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Bingo! If you want something similar to his 1972+ tones, a T-Top or similar in the bridge is the way to go. The T-Top was a later Gibson pickup, had a "T" molded on the bobbin. Page's bridge PAF failed in 1972 and was replaced with a T-Top. This is where his subtle quack/honkiness came from starting in '72. And for what it's worth his neck remained a PAF, measures in a 8.1k.

I liked the Seth Lovers. I'd say mix things up, toss the Seth Lover in the neck and '59 in the bridge. The '59 has some T-Top-ish qualities to it, will have a little more bite than the Seth Lover in the bridge. That'll get you ballpark Page tones and will be fine for classic rock overall.

Please keep in mind the amp is more influential than pickups, what amp do you have now?

Have you ever heard of Higher Order pickups? Supposedly they make a GREAT T-top replica. Oh, they're very well priced too. Only $75 a humbucker, custom wound, great materials. I'm looking at a set of T-tops for my les paul myself.
Straight from their site: "7.3k - 7.5k - Alnico 5 - Even Wind - Classic "T-Top" tone. The lower output doesn't drive your rig as hard as typicl "PAF" winds but these can work well for vintage rock tones with a cleaner character"

Pretty much sums T-Top sepcs. The tonal result is a bright clear tone, most guys I've talked to with real ones also mention the subtle quack. Certainly a slighlty different flavor than most takes on PAFs. Wouldn't mind getting a set myself either. I'm pretty sure Lindy Fralin makes a T-Top clone too. The real things have really gone up in price
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

i have a vox ad30vt. but i'm saving up for an orange rockerverb 50.

ok now heres where the price comes in, where can i can decent PAF pickups from? which brand should i look to and if there are any, really expensive ones, but absolutely worth the money, what will they be?

i'm looking to get something thats not too over the top in price, that nails that classic rock tone. no need for super fancy boutique pickups. but if u must insist on high end ones that will overwhelmingly blow u away with its tone, please do mention it.
the highorder pickups look really good. really good price too. thank you guys for introducing it to me. however, they dont have gold covers in stock?? damn if i bought a gold cover and just fitted in onto the pickup.. will u guys recommend that? cos i heard the sh-55 seth lovers are not wax potted. so it seems just placing the cover on wont do any harm.

i've nvr taken out the cover of my pickups before cos they're wax potted and i dont intend too cos it'll look ugly, but what would happen if i bought highorder pickups and placed a gold cover one it
i put a SD 59 neck and pearly gates bridge in a LP today and it sounded good. i'd say PAF ftw here
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i'd get the new amp before the new pups. you'll prolly be a lot happier with the stock ones with a decent all tube amp

but if youre both stubborn and cheapo, go for GFS PAFs
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by DudeLove
i have a vox ad30vt. but i'm saving up for an orange rockerverb 50.

ok now heres where the price comes in, where can i can decent PAF pickups from? which brand should i look to and if there are any, really expensive ones, but absolutely worth the money, what will they be?

i'm looking to get something thats not too over the top in price, that nails that classic rock tone. no need for super fancy boutique pickups. but if u must insist on high end ones that will overwhelmingly blow u away with its tone, please do mention it.

The Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are the most cost effective take on a PAF in my opinion. I think they sound just great too. Someone mentioned it early, he actually winds them on the old Leesona which was the winding machine Gibson used. The most accurate PAF copies I've come across are from Throbak Electronics, fairly pricey, mainly for the PAF obsessed though.

Some other boutique companies aside from Bareknuckle are Stephen Design, WB, Skatterbrane and Lindy Fralin among others. All nice pickups, handwound. Not cheap though.

The Seth Lovers would do just fine in my opinion. If you want more of a 1972+ Page setup the Seth Lover in the neck and a '59 (SH-1) in the bridge wouldn't be a bad setup at all otherwise just get the set of Lovers.

And the reason the Seth Lover's aren't potted is because that's how the real PAFs came.
WCR makes great PAF's as well. But again not cheap.

The Seymour Duncan '59 is the cheapest option, its definitely a good pickup (I have them in my guitar right now) but are not quite as PAF-like as a Seth Lover. They are a bit hotter and have a bit more stiffness in the top end and less of that warm sweetness. Depends what you're into. I like the clarity and articulation of the SH-1, and its very cost effective. I'd still go after Higher Order though.
thanks u guys give super advice.

yes i agree that getting a good tube amp is really the priority when it comes to getting the tone i'm looking for, but the thing is i have the money right now for a set of pickups.. but not for the amp. so, i'll just spend it first.

i'm still taking a look at the highorder pickups, do any of u guys have them?
i just got a used gibson les paul standard with burstbuckers, and it sounds great with my marshall tube combo. probably just any paf style pickup will work though.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by DudeLove
thanks u guys give super advice.

yes i agree that getting a good tube amp is really the priority when it comes to getting the tone i'm looking for, but the thing is i have the money right now for a set of pickups.. but not for the amp. so, i'll just spend it first.

i'm still taking a look at the highorder pickups, do any of u guys have them?

Higher Order is on my priority list for trying once I get my speaker cabinet stuff sorted out. I got the word on them from another board, there is a guy who loves them. I've heard his tone, its very good* Even though they're cheap, he says they stand up to more expensive boutique pickups. (they used to only be $50 a piece!!!)

*however, this is a Metropoulos amp board, so keep in mind all sound clips these guys put up are les pauls with top end pickups through a Metropoulos amp and top of the line speakers.
Quote by al112987
WCR makes great PAF's as well. But again not cheap.

The Seymour Duncan '59 is the cheapest option, its definitely a good pickup (I have them in my guitar right now) but are not quite as PAF-like as a Seth Lover. They are a bit hotter and have a bit more stiffness in the top end and less of that warm sweetness. Depends what you're into. I like the clarity and articulation of the SH-1, and its very cost effective. I'd still go after Higher Order though.

I'm using the 59's at the moment as well, slipped some Alnico 4 magnets in mine a few months ago though, added some of the sweetness I've found in the Seth Lovers while still staying bright and clear.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I'm using the 59's at the moment as well, slipped some Alnico 4 magnets in mine a few months ago though, added some of the sweetness I've found in the Seth Lovers while still staying bright and clear.

u use the 59's on the bridge or neck? how does the 59's differ from the sh-55 seth lovers?
im not sure but i think that jimmy page's gibson replica double neck sg has burstbucker pro's in them but i have a burstbucker pro in the bridge and a 57 classic in the neck of my epi lp and i think for classic rock the 57 classic would sound great in the bridge, but you could go for a 57 in the neck and a 57 plus in the bridge, or vice vs. the 57 has great tone
Quote by DudeLove
u use the 59's on the bridge or neck? how does the 59's differ from the sh-55 seth lovers?

I've used it in both.

They have a bit stiffer top end and slightly more aggressive than a seth lover which are warmer and smoother.
Just so you know, REAL PAFs are a couple thousand dollars for a pair....
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 2