Page 1 of 2
As some of you may know from previous I am struggling to find a decent amp for around £300. At the moment I have a marshall dsl401 but its to fizzy and really wont even do metal with a big low end. I know this proberly possible with a hughs and kettner for £2k but after just getting a £800 guitar i simply dont have the money. But I cant put up with the dsl for much longer. So i was thinking maybe a laney lv300, now i know its a hybrid and everyone will proberly knock it, but it sounds pretty good! People have suggested the vc30, but dont think its tight enough voiced and no enough gain. Bugera 6262 and 333xl, not enough of the lighter stuff and quite fizzy. So i saw a sample of the lv300 and though darn that sounds pretty good! I Know everyone will probably everyone will say its crap because its solid state, and yes most tube amps own solid states especially the beginner ones. But this seemed pretty nice. Has anyone played/own one?

Cheers guys and im still open to suggestions
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
i mean this sounds pretty good for smooth tones from 1.40 onwards. Will it do blues?
I know this isn't what you want to hear but maybe you shouldn't have spent all that money on a guitar when the amp IS the most important thing.

I agree with you about the DSL401 though, I couldn't stand mine either, and I tried everything to try and get rid of the buzz and fizz. Eventually I got rid of it and dropped £1200 on a Cornford Hurricane and the different is just phenominal.

For £300 the DSL401 is probably one of best valve amplifiers you're going to come by. The Laney LC30-II is deffinetly better though and its around £300.
Quote by Varkunus
As some of you may know from previous I am struggling to find a decent amp for around £300. At the moment I have a marshall dsl401 but its to fizzy and really wont even do metal with a big low end. I know this proberly possible with a hughs and kettner for £2k but after just getting a £800 guitar i simply dont have the money. But I cant put up with the dsl for much longer. So i was thinking maybe a laney lv300, now i know its a hybrid and everyone will proberly knock it, but it sounds pretty good! People have suggested the vc30, but dont think its tight enough voiced and no enough gain. Bugera 6262 and 333xl, not enough of the lighter stuff and quite fizzy. So i saw a sample of the lv300 and though darn that sounds pretty good! I Know everyone will probably everyone will say its crap because its solid state, and yes most tube amps own solid states especially the beginner ones. But this seemed pretty nice. Has anyone played/own one?

Cheers guys and im still open to suggestions

You saw a sample?
Unless you've actually played one right in front of you, then you'll really have no idea how it'll sound.

Base what you think of amps based on how they sounded when YOU played them.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I must say I was quite impressed as well by the samples of the LV300, but you never know how much they were edited and post EQ'd. I'd say save up for a GH50L.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
problem is i live on the isle of wight andi have to pay close to £120 just to get off the island to try anything. And how heavy does the gh50 go? And would the gh100ti be any good? And i know everyone says amp>guitar but no it was to good of a deal to miss out on and im happy.
Quote by Varkunus
problem is i live on the isle of wight andi have to pay close to £120 just to get off the island to try anything. And how heavy does the gh50 go? And would the gh100ti be any good? And i know everyone says amp>guitar but no it was to good of a deal to miss out on and im happy.

The GH is used by bands such as Opeth (and Black Sabbath :P).
It can go really heavy.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i have a GH100L and it shreds man. can do blues to metal with no problems. i have been loneing it to a friend of mine for the past 2 years. i put some 5881 tubes in it and it screams man. even the GH50L. same head just different power output.

its a great amp.

even the LC30...tried one a while back...not bad at all.
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
well maybe thats something to aim for but at the moment do you think that selling my dsl401 for a lv300 would be good? Will the lv300 get heavy enough for metallica and have that big low end punch at 0.14 seconds in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67bTpVQfB6U. I assume it will do smooth eric johnson and smooth sounds aswell as gritty blues, although i may be wrong!?!?
i hear putting an od pedal infront of the dsl401 makes it sound realy good, never tried it though, an amp id like to try would be an engl screamer, but they are about £850 for a 50w combo or £650 for a head, from what iv seen on youtube they sound good
hhhm i got and OD but i dont just play metal i think the lv300 looks good would love to hear from owners or people who played them, cause at the moment everyone bashes SS amps here on UG regardless of their sound. I mean call me a noob but i can get an OK sound out of my MG with the right settings which are gain maxed, bass full, countour half, treble 3/4, reverb and FX 4 then use your guitar volume on around 7-8 for a nice thick sound. No its not perfect but it ok and is smoother than my DSL. So would the LV300 be good?
Quote by Varkunus
hhhm i got and OD but i dont just play metal i think the lv300 looks good would love to hear from owners or people who played them, cause at the moment everyone bashes SS amps here on UG regardless of their sound. I mean call me a noob but i can get an OK sound out of my MG with the right settings which are gain maxed, bass full, countour half, treble 3/4, reverb and FX 4 then use your guitar volume on around 7-8 for a nice thick sound. No its not perfect but it ok and is smoother than my DSL. So would the LV300 be good?

to be honest m8 who gives a fuk what anyone on here thinks of SS amps? if you like a SS amp then good for you even if it is an mg, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, infact im thinking about getting a voxad15 so i can play at lower volumes sometimes
Quote by scottish nutter
to be honest m8 who gives a fuk what anyone on here thinks of SS amps? if you like a SS amp then good for you even if it is an mg, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, infact im thinking about getting a voxad15 so i can play at lower volumes sometimes

Well said dude.
hhhm mgs arent brillaint but there not as bad as people make out, no they wont do crushing metal which is what most people here are into. And the dsl401 is bad do you think? And we should start a group of who gives a **** what UG thinks of SS amps.

Still anyone played a lv300
i like my dsl401, its different from my jubilee, i have heard some realy good videos on youtube with the dsl401 aswell, mind you i have changed the speaker and valves so mines sounds better than a normal 401
yh but i dont like the voicing to brittle almost want something darker and smoother
What tubes are in it now?
Before you go off and spend more money on a different amp, a tube swap is a cheap way to tweak the amp closer to where you want it.
It's worth a try.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
stocks but i even tried a jcm2000 are music college and didnt like it. It just sounded brital, and not as fluid as i would have liked
Hmm...
If you peek inside, you can see what brands the tubes are.
Chances they will probably be rebranded sovteks (under the marshall name perhaps?), which I believe are brittle sounding tubes.
I'd try something like JJ's in the power section and depending on how dark/smooth you want it, try JJ's or Tungsols in the preamp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
but it still wont give me a smooth amp though will it? Cause its naturally fizzy, i want a smooth and creamy screaming neck pup tone
Read the Ultimate Tube Thread sticky.
Tubes can change your tone quite a bit. If you pick wisely on tubes, you could smooth out your amp quite a bit.
What power tubes does your amp run on? I'm not keen on marshall specs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
its el84 which is proper why its thin
Well, check the tube thread and see what ones would sound good for you.
I think a set of JJ EL84's and 12AX7's should darken up your amp.
But, this is assuming that your stock tubes are sovteks or chinese stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Check out Watford Valves for a tube upgrade, went to them to retube my 6101lm Marshall, made a big difference. Ring them up, tell them what you want your amp to sound like & if it's possible they'll sell you the right tubes. I think EL84's are cathode biased (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) so they are just plug-n-play, like preamp tubes. To be honest, almost anything they have in stock will sound better than the stock tubes. Try using a bit less treble too, that makes most amps sound brittle.
Quote by anguskilminster
Check out Watford Valves for a tube upgrade, went to them to retube my 6101lm Marshall, made a big difference. Ring them up, tell them what you want your amp to sound like & if it's possible they'll sell you the right tubes. I think EL84's are cathode biased (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) so they are just plug-n-play, like preamp tubes. To be honest, almost anything they have in stock will sound better than the stock tubes. Try using a bit less treble too, that makes most amps sound brittle.

you still need to bias the amp when you change the power valves, mines is a late 2006 model and it came new with jj power valves and some marshall branded pre amp valves
Yeah, you may still have to bias, but it will be worth it.
Replace both the power tubes and the preamp tubes, probably.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hhhm i think id be better of getting a new amp for the money though maybe...
But it's worth a try just to swap out the tubes. You will probably like it after a tube swap.
And if you like your amp after the tube swap, you have extra cash for pedals and other stuff!

Here's a small review of this one guy who swapped out the Sovtek EL84s and 12AX7's in his traynor for JJ's: http://www.betterguitar.com/equipment/other_gear/eurotubes/jjel84.html

And, I've owned an EL84 amp, and I thought the highs were brittle and weak, just like you're describing, then I picked up a quad of JJ EL84's and some JJ 12AX7's, and the amp really smoothed out.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Aug 29, 2008,
yh but thing is where i just got a new guitar i have no money and now summer finished no way of getting job where i live. So if I sell my dsl then i get the money from that where as if im buying new tubes then ive still got to front the cash from somewhere which will be very hard
if you dont like the amp then its probably not worth changing the speaker and valves, it will probably cost you about £100 to change the speaker and valves, theres 8 valves in the dsl401
i duno it just seems not thick enough. Maybe i just got cheap taste or something..! Anyway what are jubilee similar to in sound just out of interest?
i have seen a few people that reckon the dsl doesnt have enough bass, they stick an eq pedal in the loop and reckon it helps them, personnaly i just turn the bass up a wee bit and turn the treble down, think my setting are gain 3, treble 5, mids 8, bass 8 od volume 6 master volume at 4, this is on od2

i think the jubilee is ment to be a jcm800 but with more balls, or so iv been told, slash used a jubilee live while with gnr so thats the type of sound i can get
Last edited by scottish nutter at Aug 30, 2008,
they sound pretty nice... Would they do metal? And are they smooth? Although are they an older amp which you can buy anymore? If not roughly how much should i expect to pick one up for?

And on my dsl i got the gain on like 6, the treble on 4, mids 4 and bass 9, pre amp volume maxed
the jubilee isnt a high gain amp, it might do metal with a good od pedal but im not sure, they dont make them anymore, you would be looking at about £500 upwards, theres a guy on a marshall forum selling a jubilee head and matching cab and he wants £1500, dont think he will have many people rushing to pay that
Jubilees are totally out of your budget. Waaay out.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ok so jubilee out of the question. Seriously though what amp will do everything i need, decent cleans, smooth cream and thick overdrive and all the way up to metal
One that costs a lot more than your budget.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
example. And just seen the trademark 60 what do people think of that?
Example being something like the Diezel VH4, which is 3 grand for the head and cab.

You're asking too much. Find what you play most, and go with something that does that well, and the others OK. For £300 you won't get anything great, let alone great at every style.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 2