63 64%
5 strings
26 26%
6 strings(not guitar)
10 10%
7 or more strings
0 0%
Voters: 99.
After being on this forum for a couple of months now, I've realised that a good lot of you play 5 strings or more. So what is your favourite amount of strings to play with?
Poll coming.

Disclaimer: This NOT a 4 string vs. 5 string thread(or similar). Any comments like that will be reported for spam.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I like 5 strings because it gives you that extra bit of bass, but I'm interested in the idea of a bass with 6 or more strings.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
dude u should have made it multi choice coz some of us play more than 1 type
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I really like playing on a 5 string. I like having the extra low end and the efficiency of movement that the extra string affords.

I like playing 4s and 6s. Damn you for only putting single choices.

Fine, I'll go 6. BECAUSE I CAN.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I play 5-string,
but I still have my 4-string beginner bass.

5 feels perfect now, might buy a 6-string though if it's not too much of a change.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I simply can't pick just one.
But my last 2 basses have been 5 strings so I'll vote for fivers. I do love the low B but sometimes after a couple weeks of practicing on my 5 string it nice to switch to a 4 string for a little while.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
i'm a traditionalist, 4 strings is enough for me
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I only play 4, but I would like to get a 5 or 6 string sometime in the future.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I play a 5:er, I like having the low B and I like the thicker necks!
Quote by Nutter_101

I like playing 4s and 6s. Damn you for only putting single choices.

Fine, I'll go 6. BECAUSE I CAN.

You know Chris, he did ask what was your favourite to play

And btw, how is the bass project coming these days?
4. I always find my self tuning I've been looking into a 5 string but gots no cash.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
4 string. but im currently looking into some 5 strings. I wanna be able to use the low B.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
4 string is nice, but now that I have a fiver, I really like it. that low B is great.

I might go 5 forever. just because I can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^Having a five string doesn't change the need for drop tuning. EDIT: Damn you, Ben.

Also, I play a five now, but I'm very interested in trying out a 7 or 9 string bass. If I can ever find one, that is. So I guess my official answer has to be a five.
it is nice if you're improvising in standard tuning to have that low D and B accessible to you.

and jazzy, hold out for one of those 18 string life rafts.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I play 4 strings mainly, but i play 5 string alot as well, not as much as the 4 string tho.
having a five string also means that, with a capo, you could play any tuning below standard E.
4 all the way for me. Cheaper, makes switching from guitar to bass and vice versa easier aswell. If I wanted a b string I would restring it thus.

Having said that, I've never really played anything else for any length of time. If I was going into a band where I needed alot of lead playing I might consider tuning a 5 or six string so that E is the lowest string, You know what I mean? so you'd have extra high notes for widdiling. 4 does me fine now though.
Been playing 4 stringer from the beginning and switched a couple of months ago to the 5er, which was truth to be told my wish, so yeah, I'll go with 5ers...
i only own one bass, and it happens to be a 4 string bass, so i suppose i'll have to go with 4 strings, though i am a little interested in 5.
Got a five and four stingers...But I enjoy my four too damn much to put it down. I only use the five if I need the extra four frets or if the gig is of a more formal occasion.
Looks like more played 5ers than I first thought. When I get my next bass I want to try something different so I will be lloking at mainly 5ers and fretlesses.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I honestly prefer 6 strings, but sometimes you just can't beat the feeling of good ol' 4-stringers.
I have a 4, 5 and 6 string.
I do prefer playing a 6er its just my 6 stringer is absolute crap.
So I stick to playing my Warwick (4 string)
I play a five string, but I find a four just that little bit more comfortable. I prefer the added range of a five string, but I prefer to play a four for metal (my preferred genre) a la Lamb of God because I find it more comfortable to pull of big stretches and to play at speed.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
My favorite bass is a 4-string but I like 6-strings too. I like Fenders with 4-strings and for more strings i like MusicMan.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
I have two 4 strings but I would like a 5 or 6 just for that extra range....and I could get those low tones I love without down tuning.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm a 4string player, but I'm going to make the "switch" to 5 in a few months. And some of my favorite songs are played with 5strings, so I'd like to play them instead of transcribing the notes every time.
6 String enthusiast myself. I've got no problem with 4's and 5's, I just really love my 6. been playing a 6 as my main bass for that last 5 of my 7 year bass guitar career. The extended range and versatility are hard to beat IMO.
I regularly play a 6-string and a 9-string. I'm in the market for a good 7-string. I own a 5-string but never touch it. Never played a 4 in my life.
i think 6-strings give you a lot more options of things to do, i'd also like to try an 8-string & maybe a 7-string, but probably mainly stick to 6-strings
4......yup
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk