Hi guys!

I've been looking to buy a semi-hollow guitars since I like their looks.
I just want to ask if they are appropriate for the genre I play. I mainly play alternative rock and indie. However I sometimes play punk, hardcore and even metal.
Will it be possible to play these genres on semi-hollows like Ibanez Artcores, Epiphone Dots, Schecter Corsairs etc.? Or it is only good for blues, jazz, bluegrass etc.?
If it is possible, can you guys also recommend me a semi-hollow for the genre I play? My budget is around $500.

Thanks!
You can do metal and stuff, if you have the right amp and stuff.

I dunno how much they cost but maybe the Artcore would be the best choice, but I've never heard of the Schecter ones before.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Don't believe the myth that only traditional genre players play semi hollows. They are great for punk, and even better for indie. You get a warmer tone due to the hollow parts. One problem you are more likely to get feedback on ultra high gain amps i.e. for metal but I'm sure you already have guitars that can do metal. Semi Hollows are great versatile guitars and can do just about any genre. I've played both the Artcore and the Epipohne Dot they were both great guitars, the Dot is heavier but feel in my hands better constructed than the Artcore but that's just me. Go try them out they're both good guitars.
hope this helps.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Thanks for the replies!
I already tried the Ibanez Artcores especially the AJD91 (The strat semi-hollow body).
They feel light and I think you can shred and do metal on that guitar.
However I haven't tried the ES-335 body Artcores yet since the last time I went to the guitar store, they are currently out of stock for it.
I haven't tried the Epiphone Dots yet.

about$450-ish

Dean Palomino is also nice...yeah I ****in' try everything at GC. LOL

Nice weight. Decent stock strings. Fine craftsmanship.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
I LOVE the dot. Very versatile guitar

And you can always get the Dot Studio if you have a lower budget.

I play Billy Idol, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Def Leppard on my semi-hollow Ibanez AM78. You can play anything. The only limiting factor is full-hollows are a lot more prone to feedback than semi-hollows. I was not into the idea of an Ibanez, but I've got to say, I've had it two weeks now, and really enjoy it. My only complaint is the binding job is lacking in spots. I thought the Ibanez guitars had brighter pickups than the Epiphones and better feeling hardware than the Epi's I tried, but on the other hand, I thought the Epiphone were finished better.
Save $100 more bucks and buy this Bad Boy.

Gretsch is the TOP OF THE LINE as far as hollows go IMO. Dot Schmot, play a Gretsch and you'll see.

GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Those are great Grestch guitars! However, I just checked the prices of Gretsch and their a little more than my budget. Also, I prefer double cutaways and semi-hollows.
Used Artcore is the way to go for under 500 bucks. See if you can find an AXD series guitar. They handle distortion very well. Almost all of my recordings on my profile were recorded with my AXD82P.

I'm not a big fan of the Dot. For 100 bucks more, you can get a Sheraton, which IMO, is a far superior guitar.

Gretch's are not great for anything too heavy. They are full hollow and thick, so they feedback like a sonovabitch.

Ibanez is the way to go.

EDIT: Also look at the Schecter CSH-1. Exceptional guitar.
Last edited by imgooley at Aug 27, 2008,
Last time I checked, the Schecter CSH-1 are no longer available. Shecter might have stop manufacturing them.
Look at the epiphone alleycat
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Quote by MaximumOverture
Last time I checked, the Schecter CSH-1 are no longer available. Shecter might have stop manufacturing them.

Consider this then:

http://www.drumsetc.com/Details.asp?Product=9081&List=124&Manu=34&PL=&PH=

(Great shop btw, I bought my Ibanez AM78T from them) The pictures make the dimensions seem strange, but the ones on Ibanez's website are a bit truer to life.
Quote by CJRocker
Consider this then:

http://www.drumsetc.com/Details.asp?Product=9081&List=124&Manu=34&PL=&PH=

(Great shop btw, I bought my Ibanez AM78T from them) The pictures make the dimensions seem strange, but the ones on Ibanez's website are a bit truer to life.

That's the Artcore that I tried last time I visited the store. It is being sold at around $310 since it is already an older model. It was a sweet deal however, I didn't like the color that much and I preferred the color of the newer AJD91. But it costs much higher, around $450.
I think one of the problems with these models is the strap button which is located at the back.