heyy guys

ive been thinking about a new amp, probably a combo, as i wont be able to afford a head & cab!
price range.... around £300, i guess

anyway, i was wondering if anyone could suggest something METAL with 2 hi gain channels & 1 clean channel

i guess something around 80 watt

i like the sounds of Christian Olde Wolbers (Fear Factory) ermm... the Killswitch Engage guys... Lamb Of God, Machine Head etc.

any help appreciated
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Aug 27, 2008,
i have a line 6 spider 2

and on that you have

2 clean
2 twang
2 blues
2 metal
2 crunch
2 insne

also other special fx

and its 150 watt but you can get one with less
Quote by Rickmassacre
i have a line 6 spider 2

and on that you have

2 clean
2 twang
2 blues
2 metal
2 crunch
2 insne

also other special fx

No. Just no.

Secondly, if you get a valve amp, you definitely won't need 80 watts, you'll never be able to crank it, at gigs you'd be lucky if you get to put the master volume above 4. Look at lower wattage combos, 30 watts valve will be more than enough.
Rickmassacre I hope you got your bombshelter in working order....

I suggest you try out a B-52 AT 112 or perhaps the new Bugeras. I've had my B-52 for 5 years now, and its a great amp, very versatile.

Heres something I recorded a year back. Recorded it with a ****ty 20 dollar webcam, but it should give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXsTq5XIBw
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by Rickmassacre
i have a line 6 spider 2

and on that you have

2 clean
2 twang
2 blues
2 metal
2 crunch
2 insne

also other special fx

sorry, i thought that was a joke!
Quote by Rickmassacre
i have a line 6 spider 2

and on that you have

2 clean
2 twang
2 blues
2 metal
2 crunch
2 insne

also other special fx

Obvious troll is obvious.
ಠ_ಠ
lol, tbh you wont get anything that good for that kind of budget...

The best thing for you to do is get a valve amp... look second hand

and if aint got a brilliant distortion channel save up for a stompbox
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
I have a Peavey XXL and that kinda fits what you want exactly. It's not, like, amazing, but its worth what I paid.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
Quote by lmb.f.gd's lamb
there are no metal amps

That joke would only be funny if it were true.

On topic, a used 5150 or 6505 combo would be good aswell.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
That joke would only be funny if it were true.

On topic, a used 5150 or 6505 combo would be good aswell.

in the uk that the cheapest 5150/6505 I have seen is £500 for only the head.
You will never get a used 5150 or 6505 for £300 unless it's broken.

Do not get a Spider, you will get better for £300.

Peavey Valveking 112: 50w tube amp, about £279 - get a decent overdrive pedal, say a digitech Bad Monkey (about £40) and it should do the trick. A decent speaker would set you back about £40-£50 if you felt it was necessary.

Peavey Valveking 212 - 100w tube amp, only difference is it's louder, 2 12 inch speakers. £340. If you wanted the bigger one save a little bit but the VK112 is not a bad choice.

www.guitarampkeyboard.com

Edit: The Peavey Vypyrs might be worth a look at; new modelling amps everyone seems to be raving about at the moment.

Good luck
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Aug 27, 2008,
I'm not actually sure how many the Valveking has, but for £300 you'll struggle to get much better.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I'm not actually sure how many the Valveking has, but for £300 you'll struggle to get much better.

yeahh i know

i guess, would pushing up to £500 help much??
At £500 you'll probably get much better, but bear in mind at £500 people will tell you to push it to £800, then £1000. At £500 you could get a used 5150/6505 if you're lucky, remember we pay double what the Americans do.
RULE BRITANNIA
^ true (about pushing the budget).

if you can stretch to £350 or £400, you could get a randall rg50tc, which might be worth considering, or maybe one of those bugeras (i haven't tried them, though, you'd need to try them to make sure that they don't, er, suck).

pushing to £500 probably won't help all that much unless you're willing to go second-hand... in which case a used engl screamer or peavey 5150/6505 combo may be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It always happens around here
No matter what your budget is, your expected to push it
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Not that that's a bad thing. There is a price for teh toanz
Quote by imgooley
Not that that's a bad thing. There is a price for teh toanz

No, it is a bad thing. People save up for what they can afford, and feel a sense of accomplishment. When they ask for reccommendations people just send them straight back to square one by saying 'save up more.'
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

that's partly my fault. if you're willing to spend £500 for something average, you might (should, in my opinion) be willing to spend £550 or £600 for something great. of course, it can get daft- if you have £200, you probably aren't going to save until you can afford a road king or bogner. also, a lot of people set an arbitrary price limit, and may have more money saved up, so it makes sense to check. companies know that a lot of people will spend, say, £400 and not a penny more, so they give you as little as possible in the hope that you'll have to buy something else later. By not having a flexible budget, you're playing into the companies' and marketing men's hands.

of course, it does depend on the situation- if anyone ever tells me they can't save up more, i leave it at that. i just like to make sure.

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
No, it is a bad thing. People save up for what they can afford, and feel a sense of accomplishment. When they ask for reccommendations people just send them straight back to square one by saying 'save up more.'

i disagree. if someone has enough for a cube 30, then, granted, telling them to save up for a soldano is kind of daft. but if they have enough that they could almost stretch to their perfect amp, they might as well do so- buying twice isn't getting you good value at all.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hear ya. I know the feeling though when you have a strict budget and someone says 'nah get this instead, its only £400 more' - thats a kick in the stanes.
RULE BRITANNIA
the guy in my local music shop told me i should get a marshal JVM 100 stack thing...

it was like, a grand...

and i thought it was really expenisve... so i bought a mesa boogie at £1500 instead...

im still not sure how to this day :/
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I hear ya. I know the feeling though when you have a strict budget and someone says 'nah get this instead, its only £400 more' - thats a kick in the stanes.

That's true, but I was talking more about what Dave was referring to. If someone says "I have 300 bucks to spend on an amp", I might suggest something 200 bucks more, especially if they already have a decent amp.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

yeah, of course.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
the guy in my local music shop told me i should get a marshal JVM 100 stack thing...

it was like, a grand...

and i thought it was really expenisve... so i bought a mesa boogie at £1500 instead...

im still not sure how to this day :/

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?