Generally, cheap Marshalls aren't much good. That said, from what I've heard some of the more expensive ones are pretty impressive.

Personally, I'd get an amp that can do cleans well and a distortion pedal(or a multi effects); generally sounds better than just an amp, and you've got more variety tone-wise. Best I've found for doing this is Stagg's GA series; got a GA R 20 myself and it does a great job of it despite the trashy distortion. Just look for a solid EQ and clean tone.

But if you're looking for a certain tone, I'd go to a store and try stuff out. Everyone has their own preferences tone-wise; certain amps suit certain people. Finally, you're probably going to be asked this shortly anyway, but what styles/bands do you play, and what gear have you already got?
Last edited by MopMaster at Aug 27, 2008,
I got a nd hand Marshall MGDFX 100 watter for $600 australain, and its a good amp, would hvae preferred a valve, but economy dicates. defiiely recommend for metal (don't play metal but you've got two disrotin channels, so you can get some heavy crunch) and a nice clean sound, the distorion is a little thin, but i think it could be my guitar too
That is so vague. What counts as a "great sound" or "Ok distortion"?

What styles do you play?
Are you gigging?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Make sure that a good sounding Marshall won't be never available with this budget. You can surely buy one out of the MG series but in this case it would be better to try to make your own amp as it would sound 100% better.

Fender Super Champ XD is a very good tube amp but still it is as far as i remember a bit more expensive.
Quote by MopMaster
Generally, cheap Marshalls aren't much good. That said, from what I've heard some of the more expensive ones are pretty impressive.

Personally, I'd get an amp that can do cleans well and a distortion pedal(or a multi effects); generally sounds better than just an amp, and you've got more variety tone-wise. Best I've found for doing this is Stagg's GA series; got a GA R 20 myself and it does a great job of it despite the trashy distortion. Just look for a solid EQ and clean tone.

But if you're looking for a certain tone, I'd go to a store and try stuff out. Everyone has their own preferences tone-wise; certain amps suit certain people. Finally, you're probably going to be asked this shortly anyway, but what styles/bands do you play, and what gear have you already got?

do you have a web link for a product like that? like
guitarcenter, musiciansfriend, samash?
What do you want from it? What do you play, rock, indie, punk, metal etc? Are you gigging/jamming?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I'll repeat myself here; Go to a shop, try stuff out in your price range. If you like, put it on a mental list, and try out those on the list again- buy your favorite of them.

*edit* Google will find you stuff a lot better than I can. Just stick in the brand you're after, find their official site, and check out the stuff on there. If you like the look of a model, again google the model and you'll probably find some reviews/etc, so you can tell if it's any good. Also, there are quite a few amp reviews on YouTube, so if you want to hear them that's where you should start.
Last edited by MopMaster at Aug 27, 2008,
i play classic rock, blues, and also metal (like pantera,anthrax, sabbath,etc..)
ok i'll raise my budget to 500-700? is that better? i plan on taking this amp to gigs and also using it at home.

EDIT: actually wait not gigging, "Jamming"
I'm guessing you're in the US as you put gutarcentre and musiciansfriend down.

So I'm gunna say try out the Peavey Classic 30 and the Traynor YCV50.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau