Page 1 of 9
Okay I'm sure everyone has noticed the current obsession of girls and boys alike - it's the Twilight Series.
So, what's UG's opinion on the book series?

I, for one, am an active fighter against the novels. I can't believe everyone would suddenly get addicted to something that stupid. It's has a very trite plot, if it even has one. I mean I've tried to read it out of curiosity and I stopped after the 10th chapter of Twilight because it was so repetitive. Bella is a girl with a lot of issues to whine about, she's practically flawless, and she treats Edward like a God.
The madness doesn't stop there, people addicted to Twilight are actually pretending that they have better book tastes than those who've read books other than the ones part of the series.

People who like the novel, please don't go ape**** on me, it's my opinion
Quote by DrkNTwstd
darkangel, you are a smart man. no flame shield is necessary.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
It's fucking stupid. My ex liked those books and they are god-awful retarded and poorly written to boot. The characters don't make any sense.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
My girlfriend is in love with those books.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I tried my very best to read the first chapter of my friend's copy after she developed an obsession with it. Unfortunately I could only get 4 pages in before deciding "this is crap". My friend then admitted how shit a book it is, and the lead girl character is intentionally written as an emotionless drivelling snob for which the reader can put their own personality into.

Well, that's what she told me, I just thought it was crap.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
I've never read it, but I have to listen to my sister talking about it constantly. The depth of her obsession is ridiculous, and it sounds (from what she says, and she likes it) like unbelievable crap. I've no problem with people reading crap books (as it lets me be more of an elitist), but her and her friends have been sucked in like its some sort of mind control, and I'm just sick of hearing about this bollocks.

To TS, are you being serious? Guys read these? It sounds like the sort of thing that could only possibly appeal to judgmentally challenged teenage girls (i.e. all teenage girls ) with no proper grasp of the concept of quality. I guess some guys don't have a clue about life either.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
All of my female friends are obsessed with this ****. They also ALL worship Edward. I remember a girl saying "I found my Edward" after she met her boyfriend.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
I haven't read it, a friend said I should saying it's probably something I could get into...then she said in her experience it's mainly girls and gay guys that like it...what is she trying to say?
My friend was reading this book, and she wouldn't shut up about how good it was. So being the reader that I am, I borrowed the first one and gave it a read. It's probably one of the most poorly written novels I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I have honestly never seen the word 'glare' used so much in my life. "Bella glared... Bella grimaced... Bella cringed... etc.." Seriously, get used to those verbs because you're going to be reading them a lot. Not only that but the book is also riddled with grammatical errors. It's akin to reading a novel written by a middle school girl, which it might as well be as the plot, while pretty much nonexistent, leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the story, you can't really write much on it. The girl moves to a town named Forks, yes its name is actually Forks, and she makes it known that she hates it there. Trust me, you will know by the end of the first chapter that she really hates Forks. She hates Forks. Man, does she hate Forks. Forks is so stupid and she hates it. Forks sucks.

I basically just recapped the first chapter for you there. The following chapters include:

Glaring
Grimacing
Cringing
Edward being perfect, because he's so perfect and he's perfect.
Glaring
Glaring
Glaring
Edward is perfect

There, you've now read the entire novel.

The main character is extremely shallow. She wouldn't even care about Edward if he wasn't so "perfect" looking. There are a couple characters she runs into in the first chapter, one of which is attractive and one that isn't. They were both helpful and her thoughts on each were, "man, I don't want to be around this boy much longer," to the ugly one and, "man, this kid is really helpful! He's so nice!" to the more attractive one. Then she sees Edward, which if I haven't mentioned already is perfect, and goes ape **** and falls in love. He loves how she smells or whatever. It's pretty much true love.

Oh yeah, Edward is a vampire. I forgot about that in all his perfectness.

Anyway, after what seems like 50 chapters of pure dribble some other vampires show up and decide they want themselves some Bella too. Predictable drama ensues and people run around a whole bunch, then Edward takes care of it. He's so perfect. After that Edward and Bella glare at each other over and over, and then the story ends.

Terrible book. A few notes:

Bella Swan sounds like Belle Swam, which translates into Beautiful Swan. I'm sure the name isn't a coincidence but rather the author thinking she was clever.

There are glitter vampires.

Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare.

Edward is perfect.

Bella smells nice.

Don't read this crap ever. I'm going to go read a Sherlock Holmes book to get this garbage out of my head. I think The Adventure of the Speckled Band or The Red-Headed League will do.
Last edited by pressyre at Aug 27, 2008,
pressyre:
so true. People are arguing that Meyer put a heavy dose of synonyms in the book because the characters are pretty much tacit.

hmmmm this thread is becoming a Twilight Hate thread. Come on people! Did everybody start hating Twilight today?

monkey_dancer: Yeah I am. A lot of guys from my classes talk about how awesome the book is. My best buddy is so in love with it; he even disses the books I read (Stephen King, Joe Hill, Neil Gaiman, etc...) as being for faggots.
Quote by DrkNTwstd
darkangel, you are a smart man. no flame shield is necessary.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
This is the first and last "romance" novel I will ever read. You don't know how long it took her to convince me to read it, as I hate romance. I only gave in to shut her up and because the book was free. It took about a day or two to read it, but it felt like years.

Edit:

Plus, anyone who has ever read classic/good literature ever in their life can clearly see how god damn awful this novel was. Seriously, it sounds like the rantings of a middle school girl put on paper, and poorly at that. Stephanie Meyer should just give up, or someone needs to tell her how awful she is at writing.
Quote by pressyre
The following chapters include:

Glaring
Grimacing
Cringing
Glaring
Glaring
Glaring
Edward is perfect

Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare. Glare.

Edward is perfect.

Bella smells nice.

Don't read this crap ever.

This

I feel awful about saying this about almost any book, but this series is a huge waste of paper and time. The idea of why vampires can't go into the sun? because they're SHINY! yes they glitter and shine in the sun. I guess the author thought that that was clever, but I would be willing to bet that its there to distract readers from the stupidly shallow characters and plot. Speaking of the plot, there really is none. Here's is the ENTIRE GODDAMN SERIES in a nutshell.

Bella, stupid clumsy girl that hates everything meets Edward, a sparkly vampire. True love bullshit happens. Bella wants to become a sparkly vampire and spends TWO BORING BOOKS trying to get Edward to suck her blood. My sister read the last book and said that there is a demon vampire baby(my words and understanding) involved in the last book.

She refused to elaborate on possible blood, gore, and/or violence to my dismay.

Read Dracula for any vampire obsession you suddenly feel, as Twilight throws so many wrenches into the complex workings of accepted vampire lore.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
Quote by Disaster Area42
This

I feel awful about saying this about almost any book, but this series is a huge waste of paper and time. The idea of why vampires can't go into the sun? because they're SHINY! yes they glitter and shine in the sun. I guess the author thought that that was clever, but I would be willing to bet that its there to distract readers from the stupidly shallow characters and plot. Speaking of the plot, there really is none. Here's is the ENTIRE GODDAMN SERIES in a nutshell.

Bella, stupid clumsy girl that hates everything meets Edward, a sparkly vampire. True love bullshit happens. Bella wants to become a sparkly vampire and spends TWO BORING BOOKS trying to get Edward to suck her blood. My sister read the last book and said that there is a demon vampire baby(my words and understanding) involved in the last book.

She refused to elaborate on possible blood, gore, and/or violence to my dismay.

Read Dracula for any vampire obsession you suddenly feel, as Twilight throws so many wrenches into the complex workings of accepted vampire lore.

Bhram Stroker>Every other horror genre writer ever.

[/thread]
Twilight is a novel specifically directed to teens and for the purpose of gaining money. The entire book is filled with common cliche's of vampires and the story is mundane, only exciting little pubescent girls who think vampires are absolutely hot.

For a novel, the writing was pretty juvenile. The story doesn't go into a deeper meaning, its only a plot given to vampire-thirsty girls to slobber and cum all over.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
uhm, i pretty much worship the books.

i really dont know why, i guess it sounds a little homo but just it kinda makes you happy thinking that people [even if their not real] can find true love like that.

/dr.phil.

*leaves*
Roses are red,
violets are not,
compared to Hilary Clinton,
you're pretty hot
Quote by wizards?
Bhram Stroker>Every other horror genre writer ever.

[/thread]

Stephan King made my second favorite vampire novel ever with 'Salem's Lot. Great read, but nowhere near the quality that Dracula is. Dracula is the only book that I have read that I enjoyed and is also considered one of the great classics of modern English literature.

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by xtasteofchaosx
uhm, i pretty much worship the books.

i really dont know why, i guess it sounds a little homo but just it kinda makes you happy thinking that people [even if their not real] can find true love like that.

/dr.phil.

*leaves*

It's not true love. She's basically lusting after him.
Quote by sixwingmortal
Twilight is a novel specifically directed to teens and for the purpose of gaining money. The entire book is filled with common cliche's of vampires and the story is mundane, only exciting little pubescent girls who think vampires are absolutely hot.

For a novel, the writing was pretty juvenile. The story doesn't go into a deeper meaning, its only a plot given to vampire-thirsty girls to slobber and cum all over.

Common Cliches? Since when was sparkly vampires a common cliche? At least other stories involving vampires ('Salem's Lot, the manga Hellsing,etc., etc.) stick to the basics of:
1) Vampires cannot survive in the sunlight
2) Vampires cannot withstand holy water, crosses, communion wafers, and other holy items.
3) Vampires drink blood as a form of nourishment
4) Vampires have control over wolves and bats

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
They're gay as **** my sister is in the room next door reading the last book.. i heard the theme for the books is "bloody romance"
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
I like the lore of the World of Darkness vampire stories. It's different from classical vampire lore, but in a good way.
Quote by Disaster Area42
Stephan King made my second favorite vampire novel ever with 'Salem's Lot. Great read, but nowhere near the quality that Dracula is. Dracula is the only book that I have read that I enjoyed and is also considered one of the great classics of modern English literature.

I wasn't knocking Stephen King, because he's amazing usually, he's just released way too many books, but that's another topic. Salem's lot was badass with a capital B, and I think he's the second best because Stroker's just classic.

*goes to the library to check out salem's lot...yet again*
Quote by pressyre
I like the lore of the World of Darkness vampire stories. It's different from classical vampire lore, but in a good way.

I don't mind if the lore is altered a bit, but as long as it is either reasonable or explained in some form or fashion. an author leaving something out or slightly altering it in some way is fine, but saying something like "Oh vampires don't turn to dust in sunlight, they become shiny" is just stupid and unacceptable. I personally think the Meyer wanted Edward to be a shiny object, so she wrote that part in. The only high point in the entire series: 2nd book, Edward goes emo and tries to kill himself by pissing of the vampire version of the Mafia

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by wizards?
I wasn't knocking Stephen King, because he's amazing usually, he's just released way too many books, but that's another topic. Salem's lot was badass with a capital B, and I think he's the second best because Stroker's just classic.

*goes to the library to check out salem's lot...yet again*

Stroker is classic and King does release too much, but almost all of his stuff was good quality to some extent. 'Salem's Lot and Firestarter were the first 2 King books I ever read and I'm trying to find It somewhere.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by Disaster Area42
Common Cliches? Since when was sparkly vampires a common cliche? At least other stories involving vampires ('Salem's Lot, the manga Hellsing,etc., etc.) stick to the basics of:
1) Vampires cannot survive in the sunlight
2) Vampires cannot withstand holy water, crosses, communion wafers, and other holy items.
3) Vampires drink blood as a form of nourishment
4) Vampires have control over wolves and bats

I don't mean those 4 you listed as cliche. Those are just basic rules. Just like humans need air to survive...

but I'm saying that Stephanie Meyer's book is filled with cliche's on the modern vampire genre. By this I mean the vampires have to be hot, and all the people involved have to hot and be lusty after each other.

Mind you, I haven't read all of the first book, so please correct me if I'm way off. But that's what I saw from the first half.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by sixwingmortal
I don't mean those 4 you listed as cliche. Those are just basic rules. Just like humans need air to survive...

but I'm saying that Stephanie Meyer's book is filled with cliche's on the modern vampire genre. By this I mean the vampires have to be hot, and all the people involved have to hot and be lusty after each other.

Mind you, I haven't read all of the first book, so please correct me if I'm way off. But that's what I saw from the first half.

You're not far off, but none of those things are vampire cliches, per say. The cliches are more of the kind you find in romantic comedies, like a clumsy girl falling in love with the hot guy or changing one's entire lifestyle to be with the true love. Meyer ignores most of the downfalls of vampires, like the reaction to religious objects or garlic, and focuses only on the positive aspects, like increased strength and reaction times. The addition of a vampire is mostly there to add novelty and distract the reader from the fact that the book addresses no real issues.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by Royal Celebi
I read them, but that's because vampire stories turn me on xD

Then read a real vampire story. Read Dracula.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
I've read them all... very poor writing skill has the writer.

I started to like them for a bit... but no.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Personaly I like it. But I'm not the kind of person that thinks that they have superioir taste because I read the series. Yeah its an amazing series and I love it, but there are much better books that I have read.
Sounds like the mutant offspring of Dawson's Creek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'll be sticking to Anne Rice if I have a vampire story itch to scratch, and I'll be ditching this half-baked bullshit, thank you very much.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Will do

If you can get past the first few chapters, Dracula has action, and good plot, a love story, tragedy, and other crucial elements of a good well rounded story.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by Disaster Area42
Then read a real vampire story. Read Dracula.

What a depressing book...

Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Some of the literature people I ask don't seem to recommend it.
That's why I still haven't read it even though I seem to read a lot of books.
Quote by pressyre
My friend was reading this book, and she wouldn't shut up about how good it was. So being the reader that I am, I borrowed the first one and gave it a read. It's probably one of the most poorly written novels I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I have honestly never seen the word 'glare' used so much in my life. "Bella glared... Bella grimaced... Bella cringed... etc.." Seriously, get used to those verbs because you're going to be reading them a lot. Not only that but the book is also riddled with grammatical errors. It's akin to reading a novel written by a middle school girl, which it might as well be as the plot, while pretty much nonexistent, leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the story, you can't really write much on it. The girl moves to a town named Forks, yes its name is actually Forks, and she makes it known that she hates it there. Trust me, you will know by the end of the first chapter that she really hates Forks. She hates Forks. Man, does she hate Forks. Forks is so stupid and she hates it. Forks sucks.

I basically just recapped the first chapter for you there. The following chapters include:

Glaring
Grimacing
Cringing
Glaring
Glaring
Glaring
Edward is perfect

The main character is extremely shallow. She wouldn't even care about Edward if he wasn't so "perfect" looking. There are a couple characters she runs into in the first chapter, one of which is attractive and one that isn't. They were both helpful and her thoughts on each were, "man, I don't want to be around this boy much longer," to the ugly one and, "man, this kid is really helpful! He's so nice!" to the more attractive one. Then she sees Edward, which if I haven't mentioned already is perfect, and goes ape **** and falls in love. He loves how she smells or whatever. It's pretty much true love.

Oh yeah, Edward is a vampire. I forgot about that in all his perfectness.

Anyway, after what seems like 50 chapters of pure dribble some other vampires show up and decide they want themselves some Bella too. Predictable drama ensues and people run around a whole bunch, then Edward takes care of it. He's so perfect. After that Edward and Bella glare at each other over and over, and then the story ends.

Terrible book. A few notes:

Bella Swan sounds like Belle Swam, which translates into Beautiful Swan. I'm sure the name isn't a coincidence but rather the author thinking she was clever.

Edward is perfect.

Bella smells nice.

Don't read this crap ever. I'm going to go read a Sherlock Holmes book to get this garbage out of my head. I think The Adventure of the Speckled Band or The Red-Headed League will do.

Every mormon thinks they are an author, that is why it is ****. The "author" Is a mormon who thinks she knows ****.
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
Quote by Fryer Mike
What a depressing book...

Depressing? I didn't experience any depression from Dracula. Green Mile more so than anything else that I read

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by Disaster Area42
Depressing? I didn't experience any depression from Dracula. Green Mile more so than anything else that I read

Really? I didn't experience any depression from the Green Mile.

Both very good books, however.

Edit: Well... book, and sets of books. He did at one time combine the whole "seies" though.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL