I live in the UK and am looking at amps at ~£400 ($750). i've noticed amps are much cehaper in the US which could increase my budget/reduce my spending

what issues are there with buying us and importing? how much would postage on a amp weighing in at 25 kg (50lbs) be? would i get stung by import duty?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Import tax = about 23% or so probably. And have you given a thought to the different voltage mains supply in US?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
yeah import tax can be nasty, i remember just buying a £200 camera from the US, and ended up paying £70 tax on top of that.
You will get raped on import tax if it's over a certain value. I bought a set of CD's for £100 from America, cost me £23 import tax. They hardly weighed anything

So i'd imagine around £50 to ship and 25% import tax, plus you have the waiting time and no real way to send it back if it's faulty

Overall: not really worth it unless it's something small
ok thanks. i think i'll prob avoid buying US based on that advice :p

any good/cheap places recommended in the UK?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
ok thanks. i think i'll prob avoid buying US based on that advice :p

any good/cheap places recommended in the UK?

You could try Thomann.de

It's a German site but they ship around Europe, so no import taxes, and they have some things cheaper than the UK.
After the tax and buying a voltage converter probably be the same price as an amp in UK. And warranty would be a serious issue.