Page 1 of 88
In light of the flurry of computer threads as of lately on UG, i've decided to make an ONLY Computer Thread. I've been meaning to start up different topics on computers before but decided that it would be useless and only adds to UG SPAM, which, quite frankly, we can all deal without. I have Mod permission as well as make an ONLY, which I am thankful. BumoffBarney will redirect any other computer threads in here, so you may as well start using this thread properly. This thread should only be used in reference to computers only - however, if you're looking for computer tricks, there's a seperate thread for that (go search for it on UG).

To start off then, many will know i've been wanting a new laptop computer for sometime. I've made quite a few references to it on UG in my own computer threads and others too. I've had this Sony Vaio Laptop for about 6 years, I should think. If you want to know my reason for upgrading to a new computer, here's exactly why:

RAM: 256 MB - HD: 20 GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - 3.2 kg - Battery run time: 2.5 hour(s) AMD Duron 1.1 GHz  

No wireless - dependant on stupid NetGear adapter which loses signal all the time and annoying to carry along with an extension cable, max disposable hard disk drive space is 18GB, battery is worn out that I am dependant on an external power supply (no point forking out £100 for a new Li-on battery, it'll cost more than the machine itself!), my main battery adapter had to be replaced, needed to upgrade BIOS two times as it crashed everytime I plugged in my 250GB external hard drive and even so, it takes my laptop 10 minutes to recognize it's actually connected, waaaaaaaay too slow on applications, freezes daily, lost a couple of important University work (now, i'm paranoid that I need to save my work on another disk - prior to getting an External Hard Disk Drive, I would attach Word files in an e-mail message and would send it to myself .)

Yeah...

So, i've decided to get a new laptop for my own use. It's a tie between a new Mac Pro and the new Sony Vaio SZ3XWP. Gurgle_Argh! was pretty helpful in suggesting reasons why. That can be located here. I also have my concerns.

Now the real question: can anyone else suggest me a hi-end laptop with at least 2GB RAM, 100GB Hard Disk Drive and between 13.3"-15.1" TFT. It needs to have Dual Core 2 and prefably over 2Ghz.

Thanks. As said before, you can use this thread for discussing other computer related items - problems, issues etc.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 10, 2007,
no wonder the bios crashed, support for anything bigger than 137gig (i think) wasn't implemented until fairly recently
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Surprise, surprise, Indiemetalhead made the first post...

I'm sure this thread has been attempted before.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by IndieMetalhead
no wonder the bios crashed, support for anything bigger than 137gig (i think) wasn't implemented until fairly recently

I kept getting one of these:

EDIT: On a side, has anyone received a rare Red Screen of Death yet?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by sadistic_monkey
I thought the red screen was only in Beta versions? Or something like that.

True to an extent, but not necessarily. I could have sworn i've seen one of those on a 3.1 or 98.

Lyke Omgz! lolz!1 First BSOD and Bill Gates receive one of the 98 screens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Windows_1.0_crash.png
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8363127660275444169&
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 10, 2007,
What does it mean when I get a little pop-up from the system tray about low Virtual Memory or something like that? And how can I deal with this problem?
about that BSOD: goodnightamylee, you get those for some of the most random things. i've had it where the bios hated certain USB devices on the same hub, throwing me into a BSOD. typically its where the OS tries to get information about the hard drives and since theres no support, it hangs. or something.

Virtual Memory:

let windows specify how much virtual memory to use. to do this, go to start > control panel. open system, click on advanced. then performance. click 'let windows specify my virtual memory'

i'm on win 2000 at the moment, so you might need to change a few things. but its in that general area!

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jan 10, 2007,
Do your computers slow down when you burn cds?
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Quote by ctb
What does it mean when I get a little pop-up from the system tray about low Virtual Memory or something like that? And how can I deal with this problem?

Increase your paging file or buy more RAM.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
^yes. Burning CD's for some reason places a pretty heavy strain on the computer. mine slows right down when i'm burning, to the point where i wont use the pc until its finished. exact reasons i do not know, but it will probably be to do with it storing what is to be written in the RAM before being sent to the drive, and of course the drive has a fairly small buffer (2mb, large for drives, nowhere near big enough for a cd to fit in)

Quote by metaldud536

Looking at that BSOD makes me believe its your netgear card. Has it happened when it wasn't plugged up?

I got a simliar BSOD with a friends computer using a netgear card, we pulled it and it never happened again.
Quote by LordSephiroth
Looking at that BSOD makes me believe its your netgear card. Has it happened when it wasn't plugged up?

I got a simliar BSOD with a friends computer using a netgear card, we pulled it and it never happened again.

No no, it was a range of things. It happened most whenever I tried using my Hard Drive. It also happened if I watched a DVD on Media Player and sometimes it would happen randomly whenever I was just on the internet. About that BSOD - that's just one I found from Google.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
No no, it was a range of things. It happened most whenever I tried using my Hard Drive. It also happened if I watched a DVD on Media Player and sometimes it would happen randomly whenever I was just on the internet. About that BSOD - that's just one I found from Google.

oh, nevermind then. In that case I can't help you, it could be anything from a rootkit to a short in your system. If it happens again and you write some of the info down then I might can or if you can get a digital camera and take a decent quality picture of it.
Comp newb in the house. Get out of my way!!!

I got a question fellas.

Would a laptop like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=XLOGCNZALC4E5KC4D3DFAGQ?skuId=8032489&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050028&id=1157067574621

Be good for specifications such as this?

OS - Windows XP
Processor - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.6 GHz
Memory - 256 MB RAM
Hard Drive - 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card - 64 MB*
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX - Version 9.0c
LAN - TCP/IP Compliant, 2-8 players
Online - 56.6 Kbps; 2 Players
Online - Broadband; 3-8 Players
Input - Keyboard, Mouse

DirectX 9.0c is included on this disc and may require the latest drivers for your video and sound card. *Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce3 or greater (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX is not supported). ATI Radeon 8500 or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. 512 MB RAM required for online play with 3 or more players.

Would I have to upgrade my video memory?

Im planning on buying a gamming laptop. Thanks.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean

I got a question fellas.

Would a laptop like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=XLOGCNZALC4E5KC4D3DFAGQ?skuId=8032489&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050028&id=1157067574621

OS - Windows XP
Memory - 256 MB RAM
Hard Drive - 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card - 64 MB*
DirectX - Version 9.0c
Input - Keyboard, Mouse

DirectX 9.0c is included on this disc and may require the latest drivers for your video and sound card. *Supported video cards: NVIDIA GeForce3 or greater (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX is not supported). ATI Radeon 8500 or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. 512 MB RAM required for online play with 3 or more players.

If you want a gaming laptop, try Core 2 Duo.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Nelsean

I got a question fellas.

OS - Windows XP
Memory - 256 MB RAM
Hard Drive - 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card - 64 MB*
DirectX - Version 9.0c
Input - Keyboard, Mouse

No chance on gaming with that hard drive, unless you mean 60 Gb?

Edit: If you want to take gaming seriously, I'd advise against a laptop
nelsean: laptops are as upgradeable as a sponge. and which games? lots of oldish (say, 2004/2005ish) games work fine with 64mb. anything like doom54635657 and half life 2 are out of the question

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Nelsean

OS - Windows XP
Memory - 256 MB RAM
Hard Drive - 6 GB
DVD Drive - 8 SPEED
Video Card - 64 MB*
DirectX - Version 9.0c
Input - Keyboard, Mouse

Please keep in mind that minimum specs are just that....minimum. If you want your games to look like they were on the SNES then you can get by with the minimum specs, sometimes.

As for the laptop you chose, it seems alright. I think people are confusing the specs you listed as the specs for the laptop you are choosing. The specs he listed and the specs on the link are completely different.

The only problem with the one you chose is the video card. Most of the newer games are gonna require 256 MB of video memory and the link you gave me has only 128. Other than that, the processor, memory, and such all seem alright to me.

My recommendation would be to ditch that and get an alienware though That is, if you want to get a 'gaming laptop'. They are the closest to desktop power that you can get from a laptop. Having said that, if you aren't absolutely set on getting a laptop then I would go the desktop route.
^ Yeah. I was looking at the Video Memory and wanted to know if it was possible to upgrade to 256 MB.

What desktop would you recommend?

Those specs I gave you were for Battle For Middle Earth 2. I heard somewhere that those specs are the same for Command and Conquer 3 and I really wanna get that game. The computer is going to be more for school work though, but I still wanna have a little fun with it, ya know?

Im still looking around, but im terrible with computer info. =/

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

And since no one is using this thread properly, i'll start with a big one that's bound to attract (also core to my Laptop question as proposed in the beginning of this thread).

PC V. Mac
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Fine, because you insist that everybody use this thread despite the lack of help that has been provided:

Can anybody recommend me a good graphics card? I want to play Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
don't say I didn't warn you

The only way all of these threads will be consolidated is if they are put into one forum.
There's some discussion on graphics card on the previous page. It's logical to use one thread for Computers only. The more posts this thread receives, the more credible answers you'll get.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by LordSephiroth
don't say I didn't warn you

The only way all of these threads will be consolidated is if they are put into one forum.

BumoffBarney said he would consolidate all the computer threads which he hasn't done
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

What previous page? There's only one page in this thread (40ppp).

I also can't find any talk in this thread about them anyway.
I made a computer thread for a problem. I searched for this one but it wasn't in the first page and I'm too lazy to search through pages of results.
Everyone considering a gaming pc and whatnot should wait. Windows Vista and DirectX 10 are coming out and those are gonna be the new standards in gaming so you might wanna wait a couple of months for DX10 cards to drop in price.
A/S/L?
The Levenos are more designed for the Higher Education student and business enterprise sector. I wouldn't think it would be suitable as a gaming device. If anyone is wanting a gaming device, try the Alienware Laptop series or try the new Asus G1

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49285736,00.htm

Check this CNET review out of the G1 and G2 gaming laptops for anyone interested in wanting one.

ASUS G2P-7R001M Gaming Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 17.1" Wide XGA+ 2GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi 512MB ATi Radeon X1700 graphics Pre-Order

Powerful High-Speed Performance for Virtual Enjoyment Anywhere
The ASUS G2 notebook series that redefines mobile gaming with advance graphics solutions, exclusive display technologies and unique design details.
Enjoy revolutionary entertainment on the go - Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology in G2P enables breakthrough mobile performance, new high-definition capabilities and improved battery life.

Processor & Cache Memory

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7600/T7400/T7200/T5600/T5500, 1.66~2.33GHz, FSB: 667MHz, 4MB/2MB L2 Cache
Operation System

Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional,
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home,
Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Centre Edition
Chipset

Mobile Intel® 945 PM Express Chipset + ICH7M
Main Memory

DDR2 533/667 MHz SDRAM, , expansion up to 2GB SDRAM
Display

17.0" WXGA+ (1440x900) ColorShine TFT-LCD,
Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology
2nd Display

ASUS Direct Messenger for In-Game system information
Video Graphics & Memory

ATI Mobility Readeon X1700 GPU
512 MB Physical VRAM
Hard Drive

2.5" 9.5mm HDD,
80/100/120/160 GB (5400rpm)
Optical Drive

DVD Super Multi drive
DVD Super Multi Light Scribe drive
Card Reader

MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro
LED Status Indicator

Power-on/Suspend
Battery Charging/full/low
Storage device access
Capital / Number Lock
Wireless indicator
Bluetooth on status (optional feature)
Interface

1 x Express card
1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF)
1 x VGA port
1 x DVI-D
5 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x IEEE 1394 port
1 x RJ11 Modem jack for phone line
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x Wireless ON/OFF switch (Wireless Console to control Wireless/BT)
1 x SIR
1 x CIR
1 x TV-out(S-Video)
1 x AV-in port (Optional)
KeyBoard

Standard Keyboard with 88 keys
Hot Keys

Function Keys:

* Fn+F1 suspend switch
* Fn+F2 Wireless control
* Fn+F5 Brightness down
* Fn+F6 Brightness up
* Fn+F7 LCD on/off
* Fn+F8 LCD/CRT/TV-out switch display
* Fn+F10 Volume on/mute
* Fn+F11 Volume down
* Fn+F12 Volume up
* Fn+Ins Numeric Key Pad on/off
* Fn+Del Scroll Lock on/off

Battery Pack & Life

Li-Ion 71WHrs (8 cells: 4800mAh, 4S2P)
charging time: 4.5hrs/2.5hrs (System On/ Off) to 95%
AC Adapter

Output: 19V DC, 4.74A, 90W
Input: 100— 240V AC, 50/60Hz universal
Dimension & Weight

410.6mm * 315.6mm * 46.6 mm(W x D x H)
4.4 Kg (8-cell)
Warranty & e-support

2-year limited global hardware warranty
1-year battery pack warranty
On-line problem resolution through web interface (BIOS, Driver update)
OS (Microsoft Windows XP) install/uninstall consultation
Bundled software install/uninstall consultation
ASUS software supporting
Audio

Built-in Intel® High Definition Audio ( Azalia ) compliant audio chip,
Built-in speaker and microphone
Security

Booting / HDD User Password Protection and security lock
Kensington lock hole
Supplied Accessories

Optical Gaming Mouse
Gaming Backpack
Multimedia Software

ASUSDVD XP 6.0
Power Director V3.0 DE
Medi@Show V2.0 SE
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN

Integrated Intel® High Definition Audio chip (Azalia) compliant MDC fax/modem and 10/100/1000 Base T.
Integrated 802.11a/b/g.
Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.0+EDR(optional).
ASUS Utility

ASUS Live Update
ASUS Splendid
ASUS Life Frame 2
ASUS Power4 Gear+
ASUS Direct Console
ASUS Wireless Console
ASUS Power4 Phone
Virus & Tool Software

Symantec's Norton™ Internet Security 2005
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0
NERO Express V6.0
Video Camera

1.3M Megabyte Pixels
Close window
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Jan 14, 2007,
UGs search friggin sucks no wonder people spam new posts all the time.
After a long time trying to find this thread;

I might need to replace my hard drive. I have 1 hard drive and ebuyer have said they will replace it but I don't want to lose my information so if they were to give me a new hard drive to copy stuff over to, how would I do that.

I want an exact copy of my current hard drive which means windows n everything and I can't be asked to install windows again and all the drivers etc because I don't have time/patience for that. Is there a way of just backing up everything so it works exactly the same?
Quote by svzy
Everyone considering a gaming pc and whatnot should wait. Windows Vista and DirectX 10 are coming out and those are gonna be the new standards in gaming so you might wanna wait a couple of months for DX10 cards to drop in price.
DX10 won't be standard for quite a while.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
UGs search friggin sucks no wonder people spam new posts all the time.
After a long time trying to find this thread;

I might need to replace my hard drive. I have 1 hard drive and ebuyer have said they will replace it but I don't want to lose my information so if they were to give me a new hard drive to copy stuff over to, how would I do that.

I want an exact copy of my current hard drive which means windows n everything and I can't be asked to install windows again and all the drivers etc because I don't have time/patience for that. Is there a way of just backing up everything so it works exactly the same?

Look for a program called acronis true image, or norton ghost (i think it's still norton)

you can clone the contents of your drive.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Ok well ive been considering upgrading my computers memory (I have 80 gigs down to the last 20) and my graphics card. I was wondering if this would be worth it, i currently have a 32, graphics card.
You know what, I just shoved the cables into the back of my hard drive and I think the clicking noise has stopped. We'll just have to wait and see if it does it again.

Quote by Feel bad inc.
Ok well ive been considering upgrading my computers memory (I have 80 gigs down to the last 20) and my graphics card. I was wondering if this would be worth it, i currently have a 32, graphics card.

memory and hard drive space are completely different things.

I don't understand your question.
Is it worth upgrading a computer? Yes. Yes it is.
32mb is very low memory for a graphics card these days and it's all relative for hdd space, if you need a larger hard drive then get one but 20% free space should be enough. I would say upgrade when you're down to about 10gb. Unless you want games with your new graphics card, in which case you will need more space.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
You know what, I just shoved the cables into the back of my hard drive and I think the clicking noise has stopped. We'll just have to wait and see if it does it again.

memory and hard drive space are completely different things.

I don't understand your question.
Is it worth upgrading a computer? Yes. Yes it is.
32mb is very low memory for a graphics card these days and it's all relative for hdd space, if you need a larger hard drive then get one but 20% free space should be enough. I would say upgrade when you're down to about 10gb. Unless you want games with your new graphics card, in which case you will need more space.

sorry im kinda tierd lol. But yer the reason i wanna upgrade now is because well ive had to un-instal like 10 good games i enjoy playing due to space on this computer so its getting to be a pain.
Quote by Feel bad inc.
sorry im kinda tierd lol. But yer the reason i wanna upgrade now is because well ive had to un-instal like 10 good games i enjoy playing due to space on this computer so its getting to be a pain.

Well then definitely upgrade. Although 10 good games with a 32mb graphics card... Usually games that can run on a 32mb graphics card don't take up too much hard drive space.
Anywho, hard drives aren't that expensive, graphics cards tend to be I suppose.
Heres a good tip for gaming laptops:

If it doesn't cost at least $2,500, keep looking.

Feel Bad Inc.:

Upgrading your graphics card might not be as expensive as you think, and its definitely worth the cost.

But on the other hand, considering that your PC actually has a 32 MB card might suggest the need for a completely new system.
Last edited by JeffReigns at Jan 15, 2007,