Page 1 of 2
My high school allows student productions, and I had an idea I thought was kind of cool.

Basically, a bunch of lower class people (maybe in the city) blame all their problems on a criminal, the storm, but throughout the play they realize that these troubles are part of life, a much larger storm.

I'm not sure if I'll have the willpower to write it as a musical, or even write it at all, but it seems like it could be fun. I've never written anything like this before, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions, or if the plot seems like a good idea.

If this goes in a different forum, I'll post there I guess.

Thanks,
Ketchup.
Quote by OCDeity
Add pirates.

and robots
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Quote by Bassmastrajazzyj
and robots

and aliens

on-topic: go for it. Get some good writers at your school interested and have them help you.
Put on some pants, its time to dance! -The Happy Phrase

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because... Disaster, you good sir, are a f*cking genius!
There must be a venerable Jedi Master included somewhere. I don't give a damn if it fits the play or not.
Quote by OCDeity
There must be a venerable Jedi Master included somewhere. I don't give a damn if it fits the play or not.

Or at least a reference. +1 for actual Jedi ,+.5 for reference

Quote by Alice Cooper
The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes and switchblades.

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Why do people in the pit always have to turn serious threads into the most childish things?

Because we want to. also, why so serious?

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Include a four-hour scene of nothing but a man pointing at his own shoe.
Quote by OCDeity
Include a four-hour scene of nothing but a man pointing at his own shoe.

The idea of that makes me very happy for some reason.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by OCDeity
Add pirates.

vs Ninjas
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
The plot needs to either have more to it, or else the characters must be extremely relatable and sympathetic.

I like the shoe idea as well. Also, could the master criminal be someone who steals people's fridges by night? Maybe a ninja?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Ugh hello this fits perfectly into the playwriting forum!

Gosh!
My signature has doubled...
Quote by John Spartan
Ugh hello this fits perfectly into the playwriting forum!

Gosh!

You laugh, but it actually should be in S&L (songwriting and lyrics) now that I think about it.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I have some advice... I have written one play before...

1) Design the cast (You need to have an extremly strong cast before you can even start with this idea. Don´t make it too big or too small... too many characters and people get confused... to little and people get bored)
2) Design The Sets (Yes helps to have this ready before the story. Once again you don´t want to many or too few, but once the sets are designed, at least on paper, it makes it easier to write the script cuz you know what you are working with in each scene)
3) Write the Damn Thing (The hardest part is to actually sit down and write it. Remember you aren´t writting a novel... it´s a play there must be dialogue! All actions you would usually put in a novel make sure to make a recording of as you are writing to have acted out)
4) Music (Design maybe 3 or 4 scores. I didn´t do this my friend did... But once again you don´t want to many or too little... an orchestra has to be able to learn em in theory)
5) Casting practice etc... I dunno if you´ll be doing this

There... I tried to help... Maybe it did...?
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard
^ That was a ton of help, except you think I should design a cast and sets before I even have a story?

I guess what I'm asking is, where should I go from here? Basically what I have is what I wrote in my first post. :P
Quote by KetchupLad14
^ That was a ton of help, except you think I should design a cast and sets before I even have a story?

I guess what I'm asking is, where should I go from here? Basically what I have is what I wrote in my first post. :P

I mean of course you have the basic idea for the story in your head... essentially that is what you have. So yes from here you need a cast... (Yes this means designing a little bit of the story but you wont be WRITING the play) By cast I mean you need to create the characters... not go get people to play them. Sets yes... because sets are a biotch cuz lots of times you want like a set for every scene then realize how un-plausible (is that a word?) it is. So you have the basic story in your mind design the sets... for example you said a city right? A set in the street, a set that takes place in a house, maybe on that takes place in a bar etc.... That help any or am I just running in circles?
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
Quote by SymereusISBack
I mean of course you have the basic idea for the story in your head... essentially that is what you have. So yes from here you need a cast... (Yes this means designing a little bit of the story but you wont be WRITING the play) By cast I mean you need to create the characters... not go get people to play them. Sets yes... because sets are a biotch cuz lots of times you want like a set for every scene then realize how un-plausible (is that a word?) it is. So you have the basic story in your mind design the sets... for example you said a city right? A set in the street, a set that takes place in a house, maybe on that takes place in a bar etc.... That help any or am I just running in circles?

Ah, ok. So I'm thinking I should create the "villian" as well as a few "victims." What I think I'll try to start off doing is kind of storyboarding the play so I can figure out where I want it to go, and that way I can figure out who's involved.

Quote by KetchupLad14
Ah, ok. So I'm thinking I should create the "villian" as well as a few "victims." What I think I'll try to start off doing is kind of storyboarding the play so I can figure out where I want it to go, and that way I can figure out who's involved.

GL... Not that I know a ton but if you do want any ideas of advice PM me!
Quote by DaFizzle

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Why do people in the pit always have to turn serious threads into the most childish things?

do you seriously expect the pit of all places to be serious?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SymereusISBack
GL... Not that I know a ton but if you do want any ideas of advice PM me!

off topic but nice sig.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by KetchupLad14
That was a ton of help, except you think I should design a cast and sets before I even have a story?

First write out a general idea of what will happen. this Doesn't mean write the whole play right away, just get some sort of structure to guide the rest of the writing process. If you don't think you can write the whole play, get someone that is interested in the story and is a great writer to fill in the story following the basic structure you wrote up. allow for other opinions. If someone thinks that a certain event doesn't fit in the story, don't argue to keep the event because you made some joke you like or something like that. If someone says I think that so and so should do this and you think otherwise, say so and back it up. And a general rule for writing is not to look at the work and say that it sucks. have someone else read it and tell you their opinion. Remember that Stephen King threw away his rough draft of Carrie and his wife fished it out of a trashcan and told him to finish it.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by SoftParade1967
off topic but nice sig.

Haha... still dunno why you recommended a sub sandwich restaurant hehe!
Quote by DaFizzle

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
Quote by Disaster Area42
First write out a general idea of what will happen. this Doesn't mean write the whole play right away, just get some sort of structure to guide the rest of the writing process. If you don't think you can write the whole play, get someone that is interested in the story and is a great writer to fill in the story following the basic structure you wrote up. allow for other opinions. If someone thinks that a certain event doesn't fit in the story, don't argue to keep the event because you made some joke you like or something like that. If someone says I think that so and so should do this and you think otherwise, say so and back it up. And a general rule for writing is not to look at the work and say that it sucks. have someone else read it and tell you their opinion. Remember that Stephen King threw away his rough draft of Carrie and his wife fished it out of a trashcan and told him to finish it.

Oh hey, I didn't even see this before. Thanks a ton!
Quote by KetchupLad14
Oh hey, I didn't even see this before. Thanks a ton!

No problem. I still love the fact that Stephen King threw away the book that launched his career.

Quote by Alice Cooper

Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Quote by Disaster Area42
Because we want to. also, why so serious?

Because he listens to lots of pearl jam, its one of the side effects.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by SymereusISBack
Haha... still dunno why you recommended a sub sandwich restaurant hehe!

Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
The first thought that popped to mind when I read your idea was the movie "Crash."
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Page 1 of 2