Anyone else feel that it's a stupid/wrong/crap/whatever that, so we can watch some athletes do what they do every four years, all the lottery money that's being spent on the olympics will severely underfund loads of other lottery funded projects. You know, ones that are worthwhile. The arts councils, community projects (working with special needs folk and other community based things) etc etc, things that generally already underfunded.

23% of 9 and a half billion?

EDIT: Whilst this thread is written in anger (though I do stand fully behind it) it may seem slightly pollemic (it is) I like to think that you, the good people of UG, could possibly look past that.

This is an example of a terrible response.:

Quote by Twisted Magnum
This thread is astronomical fail.

It makes no immediate sense and there is no elaboration, not many people can type faster than they can think.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Aug 27, 2008,
The only thing the lottery should put money towards is my Lamborghini Fund
Quote by darkstar2466
Ollieyoufool seems like a self-made man.

Quote by MightyAl
If you punched through plasterboard, I'm pretty sure you can fill it.
If you punched through bricks, why are you scared of your dad?
Quote by misfitsramones
i won 10$ on the lottery once,

I won two dollars on a one dollar scratch off

I didn't make any profits though because I bought a pack of gum
Who are you to say where the money goes? I think art is boring.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Black people proving why they're the best criminals is dull i mean we don't need to be reminded ever 4 years that white people can't jump or run.
Quote by Rankles

Who are you to say where money goes? I think sport is boring. That's not the point though, things that help people are put aside as soon as we have the chance to host the olympics.

And it's really, really not just art. Most community projects are, at least in part, lottery funded.
Quote by Draken
Black people proving why they're the best criminals is dull i mean we don't need to be reminded ever 4 years that white people can't jump or run.

Jonathan Edwards can't jump?
Quote by alexlemon2
Jonathan Edwards can't jump?

He's an android.
I think a lot of community projects could be sidelined until basic needs have been met, with education consistently underfunded it's grossly inappropriate to spend funding for sports whether it's the Olympics or a school sports team.

I realize that this isn't the case in many countries, but there are always better things with which money could be apportioned. It seems that the money is spent to distract everyone from the issues at hand.
Well its better than before, seeing as our athletes didnt get *any* money.
Is a really a suprise that finally our athletes got some money that we've done better than we've done in 100 years?

And its not just the "pro" athletes that benefit, the lottery pays for sports centres, coaching and proper equipment.

I mean ffs, our polevolter in the '84 olympics had to run through his kitchen and down his garden to jump and land on a pile of matresses, because nowhere within 100 miles provided any proper training.

And im pretty sure in thinking that our olympic athletes are amongst the small minority that dont get any government training.
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
The olympics aren't just about sport, it also creates a lot of awareness, and a lot of money coming in for tourism. It promotes your country to an astronomical level, as the whole world is watching.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by tyronelab
Who cares about art councils? I also don't really care about sports but it does benefit many people to have sports facilities.

I care about arts councils. And it's NOT JUST arts councils. almost ALL community projects need lottery funding.

Quote by tyronelab

The Lottery is just an ingenius idiot tax anyway.

It is... and it does good things with the money. What's your problem?

Quote by duncang
The olympics aren't just about sport, it also creates a lot of awareness, and a lot of money coming in for tourism. It promotes your country to an astronomical level, as the whole world is watching.

It creates a small boom whilst the olympics is on. It's not gonna make people in think in 5 years 'ah, London ... they had olympics 5 years ago, let's go there!'.
Last edited by meh! at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by meh!
Who are you to say where money goes? I think sport is boring. That's not the point though, things that help people are put aside as soon as we have the chance to host the olympics.

And it's really, really not just art. Most community projects are, at least in part, lottery funded.

Therefore your opinion is biased and you don't serve a valid point. While YOU may not see any point in the olympics, some people love them. Although I see where you're coming from, with there being no point to it, but the argument could go any way. What's the point to music? What's the point to staying in shape? Why not get fat? What's the point to art? In the end it all comes down to personal opinion and likes and dislikes. If you saw the crowd at the olympics you'd see why they're still around like any other sporting event. HUGE profit.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by kyle100
Therefore your opinion is biased and you don't serve a valid point. While YOU may not see any point in the olympics, some people love them. Although I see where you're coming from, with there being no point to it, but the argument could go any way. What's the point to music? What's the point to staying in shape? Why not get fat? What's the point to art? In the end it all comes down to personal opinion and likes and dislikes. If you saw the crowd at the olympics you'd see why they're still around like any other sporting event. HUGE profit.

...I know some people love them...and i didn't say there was no point to them. I said that the money is better spent elsewhere.
well the olympics are one of the ways, other than war, that countries can decide who has the biggest peenor
Personally, I think the Olympics is worth the money, just to see Paula Radcliffe publicly **** herself.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
Quote by meh!

It creates a small boom whilst the olympics is on. It's not gonna make people in think in 5 years 'ah, London ... they had olympics 5 years ago, let's go there!'.

It creates a MASSIVE boom while the Olympics is on.

Not to mention, the facilities that are made to host the Olympics are designed to help the community after the Olympics are done. They become very beneficial sports facilities, and that's the sort of thing the lottery fund might be paying for, Olympics or not.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
It creates a MASSIVE boom while the Olympics is on.

Not to mention, the facilities that are made to host the Olympics are designed to help the community after the Olympics are done. They become very beneficial sports facilities, and that's the sort of thing the lottery fund might be paying for, Olympics or not.

Ah yes, the regeneration of certain areas is about the only good thing that will come out of this. It will obviously bring over lots of immediate tourists... We should hope so so that we don't end up with less money than we started with.

Again though, I despair at the emphasis that is put on sport.
Quote by meh!

YOUR money? The lottery fund is just that, lottery takings. You CHOSE to give money to the lottery. It's up to them what they do with it.

Don't like it, don't play.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by meh!

Again though, I despair at the emphasis that is put on sport.

Well that's too bad for you, isn't it? If you don't like how it's being spent, then you can put your money into charities and organisations that help the community in ways that you like.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I'd rather see it taken from gambling than from another tax. At least this is temporary. You just know that if it was tax funded that everyone would be forced to pay it for decades.

It's not right to take away from needed projects but I should think they've had some sense in where the extra funds have come from. No doubt the arts council funds some utter crap that no one cares about and so much money is wasted across all sectors, it might make businesses more efficient.
No doubt we'll be hearing all about how badly it has affected everyone over the next four years.

The best bit about it all is though that we're paying to host it, we're paying to broadcast it and we're paying to go to see it live. We're being ripped off!
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Rankles
YOUR money? The lottery fund is just that, lottery takings. You CHOSE to give money to the lottery. It's up to them what they do with it.

Don't like it, don't play.

... just because I support what the lottery does in general doesn't mean I have to support their every action. I think this is a bad choice, it irritates me that we're so willing to put aside so many good things just so that we can take part in a big flashy event that's got a famous name.

Quote by duncang
Well that's too bad for you, isn't it? If you don't like how it's being spent, then you can put your money into charities and organisations that help the community in ways that you like.

You're right...yes I can. Why are you all telling me things I know? Just because I can do certain things doesn't mean I have to like or respect or accept what other people do :confuse:
Well you're in the minority. It's a fraction on what we're spending on warfare and benefits so who cares? Some people enjoy tradition and spectacle.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Well you're in the minority. It's a fraction on what we're spending on warfare and benefits so who cares? Some people enjoy tradition and spectacle.

I care, for the reasons i've given. I'd agree that we have a **** government...

Quote by Andrewbiles
I'd rather see it taken from gambling than from another tax. At least this is temporary. You just know that if it was tax funded that everyone would be forced to pay it for decades.

It's not right to take away from needed projects but I should think they've had some sense in where the extra funds have come from. No doubt the arts council funds some utter crap that no one cares about and so much money is wasted across all sectors, it might make businesses more efficient.
No doubt we'll be hearing all about how badly it has affected everyone over the next four years.

The best bit about it all is though that we're paying to host it, we're paying to broadcast it and we're paying to go to see it live. We're being ripped off!

Well, it's being taken from tax money too. Lottery are only funding twenty percent, over half is funded by central government. The arts councils aren't really the most important thing, they're just the thing that occurs to me first because i've been involved with them.
Good lord this thread has been taken over by UG staff..

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

Also, I agree with Rankles, it's your choice where you're spending your money on, and the Olympic Games aren't nonsense, they have become less innocent, and countries only see them as a way to promote their own country.

I can type faster than I think, check it out: shjdfgowasfbjdsfbpdfvpydghvdivdhblugxv. All in one second!

and also, every thing gets its funding for a reason. All though it doesn't seem fair, there is a good reason behind it. Opps, did I say good, I meant good for the government and not us.
All I have to say is I am sick of the Olympics, and I just want to watch motorcycle racing and Football on Sundays. But nooooooooo, the Olympics are on...
We're only strays.
If you actually look at recent Olympics the majority of them have been a complete waste of money. The governments pile tonnes of cash in and then no one ends up using the facilities, the transport links are almost abandoned and the cash injection from tourism gets nowhere near the amount needed to recoup from the spending. If they manage to stick to the budget of £9.3bn (or so) they might have spent well considering the fact that the land is in London and the infrastructure will get used post-games. If they over spend, who knows? Chances are some of the main buildings are going to end up like the Millennium Dome and a complete waste of money. But at least new housing and green space will come from it.

Hope for their sake it doesn't rain for two weeks straight.

Quote by sg622
Shawn Johnson

That "girl" was the creepiest thing at the Olympics.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by meh!
Anyone else feel that it's a stupid/wrong/crap/whatever that, so we can watch some athletes do what they do every four years, all the lottery money that's being spent on the olympics will severely underfund loads of other lottery funded projects.

No, it's just that you hate the olympics.
Quote by Andrewbiles
If you actually look at recent Olympics the majority of them have been a complete waste of money. The governments pile tonnes of cash in and then no one ends up using the facilities, the transport links are almost abandoned and the cash injection from tourism gets nowhere near the amount needed to recoup from the spending. If they manage to stick to the budget of £9.3bn (or so) they might have spent well considering the fact that the land is in London and the infrastructure will get used post-games. If they over spend, who knows? Chances are some of the main buildings are going to end up like the Millennium Dome and a complete waste of money. But at least new housing and green space will come from it.

I agree that the regeneration projects that are being coupled with it are probably the best thing that are gonna come out of it, but it still makes me angry that everything else is so blithely discarded as soon as we have the chance to host the olympics. Would we have gotten the olympics if the government had stuck by the people it was supposed to be protecting, providing opportunities for and caring for? Maybe not, but I suppose that doesn't matter if we can get a few golds

/not directed at you.

/bile

Quote by MrMojoRisin'
No, it's just that you hate the olympics.

Erudite.
Quote by Rankles

But you play guitar?
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Quote by Andrewbiles
If you actually look at recent Olympics the majority of them have been a complete waste of money.

I'm not sure if it could constitute as a complete waste of money. Maybe it could have been spent on more productive things, but when you're selected to host the worlds(imo) most famous event, and you want to make it the best it's ever been, you may have to put a shit ton of money into it.

That "girl" was the creepiest thing at the Olympics.

It's her damn ears that always get to me.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by sg622
Shawn Johnson

She's 16 FFS.

I reckon that's a lot of money. But, between you and I, I prefer the lottery funds the olympics than war.

But the olympics also have political implications. We've seen Russian/Georgian athletes kissing on the podium. We've seen athletes from Irak.

And yes, it's really good the the host country's economy. It brings a lot of tourism, from around the world. Building the Olympic facilities/village gives a lot of people a job. After the olympics, it gives professionnal sports facilities open to everyone.

It has good implications, too.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
The lottery doesn't fund the war...except for the duty tax they give to the government, but aside from that, all money that is spent on community schemes (and the olympics...) is their 'good cause' money.