Hello people,

I have a few questions about the Peavey Valveking 112:

1) Is it a good amp? I have read some reviews and it seems nice, but I want confirm. For example most reviews says that the Line 6 Spiders are awesome, but actually they aren't

2) Is it good for metal? I want a good distortion not too brutal. I play power metal so I would like to have a warm and rich tone. Also I play hard rock sometimes, and a few of clean stuffs.

3) Is better than the Roland Cube 60? I would like to upgrade it.

4) What are the difference between the 112 and the 212?

Thanks
The Valveking doesn't have enough gain for 't3h br00talz'.

The 112 is 50 watts with one 12" speaker, and the 212 is 100 watts with two 12" speakers.

I don't know a whole lot more than that, though.
its a decent amp, although if you're looking for a more metal sound, try a bugera
the valveking may need a pedal to get what you want, but a bugera should get you there by itself

and the 112 is 50w with one 12" speaker, and the 212 is 100w with 2 12" speakers
Quote by Poglia
Hello people,

I have a few questions about the Peavey Valveking 112:

1) Is it a good amp? I have read some reviews and it seems nice, but I want confirm. For example most reviews says that the Line 6 Spiders are awesome, but actually they aren't

2) Is it good for metal? I want a good distortion not too brutal. I play power metal so I would like to have a warm and rich tone. Also I play hard rock sometimes, and a few of clean stuffs.

3) Is better than the Roland Cube 60? I would like to upgrade it.

4) What are the difference between the 112 and the 212?

Thanks

1) It has good reviews most places, and I've played it in GC a few times, sounds very nice to my ears.

2) I'm not too sure it will handle metal tones, maybe a pedal in front will get a more metal tone.

3) Different ballpark of amps.

4) 112 has one 12 inch speaker, 212 has two.
Your gonna need a pedal probably, for a bit more gain and tightness. I like mine, its not bad really. With hot pickups, like Distortions or EMGs, youll be able to get a verrry nice hard rock sound out of it. It is better than a Roland Cube, i think. With a speaker change, and the mandatory tube change, you should have a really good amp.

EDIT: Other than the extra speaker and extra fifty watts, the 212 also has resonance and presence controls, which the 112 does not have.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Aug 27, 2008,
Haha, your in the same situation as me, im deciding between these two amps, prolly getting the cube now that people tell me valvekings are the MGs of tube amps.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
theyre a good beginner tube amp. needs some work to sound good ie speaker swap, Od pedal, Eq pedal.
vk clips in my profile. They were done with a computer mic so nothing special but youll get an idea of what it sounds like.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Haha, your in the same situation as me, im deciding between these two amps, prolly getting the cube now that people tell me valvekings are the MGs of tube amps.

They actually aren't...

Windsors are way worse than VK's.

ValveKings sound better than Roland Cubes....
Quote by TheArcadeFire
They actually aren't...

Windsors are way worse than VK's.

ValveKings sound better than Roland Cubes....

If what Im about to say comes off as me being a jerk, im not trying to make it sound that way, but can you give me proof?

Youtube videos or audio clips of both?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
And if it has to get a speaker swap to sound good, im not gonna mess with them.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Youtube doesn't prove ****...

It's all compressed, and in mono.

You need to try them yourself. Trust me. You will agree.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
Youtube doesn't prove ****...

It's all compressed, and in mono.

You need to try them yourself. Trust me. You will agree.

I'll try one, but if a speaker swap is going to be necessary really soon I think I'll play it safe with the Cube.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
You really should try one and decide for yourself. When I tried one out I fell in love with the neutral sounding cleans (not bright like Fender or dark like Vox), and with a little bit of gain dialed up it didn't sound too bad, though it did have a somewhat generic non-tube sounding overdrive. With the gain dimed the distortion got really flabby and really, really bad sounding. I suspect that if you get some of your overdrive from a pedal and some more from the preamp stage of the valveking then you may get a nice sounding distortion.

For comparison, I felt that the overdrive of the Crate V15 that I wound up buying was much nicer sounding. The overdrive didn't sound so generic, and when dimed it still had a nice sound. Still, I prefer to get some of my drive from a pedal and some from the preamp. I find that this combo gives you plenty of distortion but still lets each note ring.