My Norton is being pretty screwy, so I want to look at getting something else.

Anyone know any good free anti-virus/protection software that I can download?
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
no,stick with norton it works eventully,just need some TLC
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
Get AVG Free edition + Spy Bot and Zone Alarm Free Firewall

You're pretty much set then.

Norton is the antivirus that viruses are designed to circumnavigate because its so common. The last virus I got while I had Norton literally ripped norton to shreds immediately after entering the computer and then altered my hosts files to make me unable to go onto their websites.
Antivir or AVG both are good and are free.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Norton is a pretty good replacement for Eric Bana.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Nod32

EDIT: The only problem is that it costs money and the old fixes for using it free don't work any more.

You could just redownload it every 30 days.
Last edited by BodaciousZac at Aug 27, 2008,
all very poor advice. norton and avg are not good at all. Nod32, or Kapersky are really the only way to go.
Quote by BodaciousZac
Nod32

This is pretty good.

Edit:
Quote by tona_107
all very poor advice. norton and avg are not good at all. Nod32, or Kapersky are really the only way to go.

I somewhat agree with you (never used Norton), I would only use AVG and Avast! as 'warning' anti-virus's. I've only found them good for warning me of infected files/sites. But then again my only experience with a virus was one I got from my pen drive on another computer. Avast stopped it from infecting my computer (if you plugged it in it would copy a Backdoor IRC Trogan batch script to your root directory) but could not get rid of it for the pen drive. I solved that by reformatting it in Linux (would not let me reformat in Vista or XP).

Being free, you probably won't get as good performance as you would with Eset's Nod32 or Kapersky. If you are going to pay for one, I say Nod32.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 27, 2008,
I use avast!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
ANYTHING is better than Norton. It never really leaves your computer once its on there, like a bad cold.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by CTFOD
Norton is a pretty good replacement for Eric Bana.

I liked Eric Bana though.

Anyhow, I use Nod32.
Avast.

AVG sucks.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Avg
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
McAfee
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
avast>avg
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by rizo299
Get AVG Free edition + Spy Bot and Zone Alarm Free Firewall

You're pretty much set then.

Norton is the antivirus that viruses are designed to circumnavigate because its so common. The last virus I got while I had Norton literally ripped norton to shreds immediately after entering the computer and then altered my hosts files to make me unable to go onto their websites.

What exactly is Spy Bot? If you had both Spy Bot and Avast would it both detect and repair/delete viruses and spyware? Someone up there said Avast and AVG are more like warning software.

Also, how good are downloadable firewalls compared to the firewall that comes with Vista? I'm thinking about getting one now.

Sorry dude don't mean to jack your thread but I think you got plenty of suggestions. I personally use Avast but I haven't had my laptop very long so I can't be sure.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Last edited by XxXshadowboyXxX at Aug 27, 2008,
Apple...

Or Avast. It rawks.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Norton is awesome.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
windows defender is pretty good
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
Quote by ManicBluesist
avast>avg

+1
He Speaks Sense
Quote by Våd Hamster
''I'm gay''

*Awkward silence*

''Actually, I'm just a vegetarian''

*Silence*

Dad- ''Same thing.''
Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
What exactly is Spy Bot? If you had both Spy Bot and Avast would it both detect and repair/delete viruses and spyware? Someone up there said Avast and AVG are more like warning software.

Also, how good are downloadable firewalls compared to the firewall that comes with Vista? I'm thinking about getting one now.

Sorry dude don't mean to jack your thread but I think you got plenty of suggestions. I personally use Avast but I haven't had my laptop very long so I can't be sure.

What I meant was as long as you use common sense (eg. stay away from sites if your anti virus says to do so, remove external drives (if infected) as directed by your anti virus, don't download software from untrusted sources etc.) you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not sure of how professional anti virus's get rid of virus's if your PC gets infected, but if it happened to me, I would just reformat - having a few external hard drives and making images of your HD certainly help.

Edit: I suggest getting Avast! Free Home Edition. It comes with an IM, E-mail, Network, Outlook, P2P, PC, and Web scanner and is low on system resources. It also updates automatically. All you have to do is renew your licence key every year (also free)

Double Edit: If you're wondering - I've been using Avast Home Edition for 1 year, have prevented about 5 potential virus's, and have never been infected.
I use AVG Antivirus + Spybot Search & Destroy + Sunbelt Personal Firewall

All free and work great together.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
oh yeah i forgot to say i use spybot aswell
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by guitarmang93
Antivirus 2009!

No, shut the **** up! That virus just got through tearing up my computer.
Quote by rasinañte
No, shut the **** up! That virus just got through tearing up my computer.

I can't tell you how many idiot friends' computers I've seen that on.

"oooo shiny pop-up!"
*click*

What the fuck, I mean come on.

Joking, I don't have any friends...