Is open sourcing putting power back into the hands of the normal people like you and me? Think about it, there's so much that could be accomplished. Gaming corporations could be phased out a bit if people organized an open source community just for producing the next PC game. Scientific studies could be carried out by dividing them into many small, simple tasks that could be done by normal people.

Obviously the more that needs to be accomplished, the higher degree of organization it needs. But if more people would do the organizing, the online community could get a lot of stuff done, and without money or politics getting in the way.

So will open source economics give power to the people?
We're only strays.
That's assuming everyone would work together, it really depends on how many people are working on it. I'd say it's not very realistic.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by BostonLP
That's assuming everyone would work together, it really depends on how many people are working on it. I'd say it's not very realistic.

Well it's the internet, there can be thousands of people working on it at the same time, which means no one person has to make any kind of commitment or even spend much time at all on it. Well except for the people organizing it, that is.
We're only strays.
Quote by BostonLP

I hope you didn't type this from Firefox or Linux, or use Wikipedia.

Open source is truly a breakthrough. I think it has a lot of potential, and it's already happening. If you want to know more about how open source is affecting global economics, you should read "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I hope you didn't type this from Firefox or Linux.

Open source is truly a breakthrough. I think it has a lot of potential, and it's already happening. If you want to know more about how open source is affecting global economics, you should read "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.

I don't deny that it's awesome, but designing a computer game is a bit more cumbersome than a web browser.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Quote by BostonLP
I don't deny that it's awesome, but designing a computer game is a bit more cumbersome than a web browser.

True, but I maintain that with a high enough level of organization, and with tasks being divided into small enough portions to be done by anyone that's just logging on for 5 minutes, it is quite possible.
We're only strays.
Quote by BostonLP

you'd be surprised
The power IS in the hands of normal people. You simply have to work hard to get it, instead of crying because the people who deserve it have it.
TS, this is not about you, but about the people that constantly talk about the power being in the hands of the wealthy, while they actually do nothing to deserve it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Xiaoxi
I hope you didn't type this from Firefox or Linux, or use Wikipedia.

I'd also recommend "wikinomics". I had to read it for my "administration seminar" class. A really interesting read.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
The power IS in the hands of normal people. You simply have to work hard to get it, instead of crying because the people who deserve it have it.
TS, this is not about you, but about the people that constantly talk about the power being in the hands of the wealthy, while they actually do nothing to deserve it.

Well as open sourcing grows, maybe anyone with a computer and an internet connection will be that much closer to deserving it. I agree with you, though.
We're only strays.
Quote by BostonLP

So is designing an OS, but that's been well achieved.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by af_the_fragile
what is open source??

It's when a project is made open to anyone on the internet to contribute to it. Wikipedia, for instance. It gets a bad rap because normal people write all the articles. BUT, every article is under scrutiny by just as many people and is cross checked and made as accurate as possible - again, by normal people.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
It's when a project is made open to anyone on the internet to contribute to it. Wikipedia, for instance. It gets a bad rap because normal people write all the articles. BUT, every article is under scrutiny by just as many people and is cross checked and made as accurate as possible - again, by normal people.

Aah, alrite, thanks.
Quote by af_the_fragile
Aah, alrite, thanks.

And also when the source code is open, such as in Linux. You can take it, and change it as much as you want and create something new out of it.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
And also when the source code is open, such as in Linux. You can take it, and change it as much as you want and create something new out of it.

Sounds cool... i'm not much of a computer geek so i'll leave here!
The thing with open source is that it's not really "giving power to the people." Ultimately, there are some things that are suitable for open source and others that are suitable for closed environment. Things that have a high production cost should be left to corporations because they have a large economy of scale, which open source contributors do not. Open source is more about a bunch of people all sharing a common want and having the ability to make it. They put the project out in the opening to encourage others to do the same, thus the public nature of open source. That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who gets the distribution will/can contribute. Because it's public, there is no control over who can and cannot get the distribution based on whether that person will contribute to the production or not.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm doing all 3 of those, at the same time!

That is like...really 1337

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by af_the_fragile
Sounds cool... i'm not much of a computer geek so i'll leave here!

Yeah... It's not an easy thing to do. It takes years of programming skills.
But that was basically how it was done. Linus Torvalds created a very basic OS for the lulz, and people liked it and started to improve it together, while creating different versions (distributions). 18 years later, you have one of the most powerful and used OS's out there.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Wikipedia is actually much better than most encyclopedias out there because of it's open nature. It is the most readily updated encyclopedia out there. Important events can be documented within a day, or even hour.

There is an interesting thesis that I read about a while back, but I can't remember the title or the author. But basically, it notes that in almost any given situation, a large group of people can better calculate/solve/infer than any single individual. Some examples included the accuracy of guessing how many gumballs are in a large container by the collective against any one guess. There were other, more profound examples but I forget them now. But the idea is that the more people contribute to solving a problem, the more accurate and efficient, and this idea definitely applies to Wikipedia.

Also, open source doesn't have to be limited to digital production. In theory, we could all want a physical product and choose to contribute to building it, although this would be on a much smaller scale because it's not global.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana