i play a lot of punk rock(mostly old school) and i currently have a peavey valveking 112. im starting to realize that the amp sounds very dark unless i hook up my metalzone pedal and mess with the eq. so theres this guy in the neighborhood that says he'll switch out the speaker to a vintage 30 for 65 bucks.
he also says meanwhile i could take his marshall valvestate 265r so i have something to play in the meantime. he's also selling it for 225 bucks. this amp sounds great, almost perfect(to me). it has a really nice clean channel as well. should i buy it off of him or wait to see how the valveking speaker change turns out?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
wait for the valveking, one would think the valvestate would be a downgrade.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
bump
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
A speaker change really opens up things with the Valveking.

Wait for it, mess with the EQ, keep messing with it, and if you're still upset, trade.

Also, if you have a patch cable, put it in the effects loop. And a dumby jack in the first input and play through the second, without the gain boost on.

But seriously, wait and see.
The older Valvestates are decent. Comparable to the Valveking.

The VK is a really dark amp, anyway.
You shouldn't bump, especially since he answered you...

I think a ValveState would be a downgrade as well. Use it for now, and get your VK back. I think you will be happier with the tone after the speaker swap.

Maybe invest in some new tubes?
sry about the bump. i just wanted more than one opinion
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40