I practice guitar 95 percent of the time sitting down , i hardly ever stood up doing it. now when I try standing up and playing its like playing guitar all over again lol. and when i see guitar players like slash wear his guitar like 3 inches down from his belly button i am like what the #)($*)(#$*! it really hurts the hell out of my wrist and I dunno what to do , i really wanna wear it low...

what is comfortable for me though is wearing like so high its like under my armpit(well not that high but u know what i mean)

how the hell do gutiar player wear them so low?
well wearing it up high makes you look like a dork on stage, but it IS more ergonomical.
personally, i wear my V so that the fin rests on my thigh when i stand up. so like if i use a wah its resting on my leg. my strat i wear up so its right underneath my man boob haha, looks stupid but hey its comfortable. plus i dont play that guitar much on stage.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
this is one of the biggest problems with new guitarists. it's different for every player as to how low they like it. I can play mine really low. basically the pickup selector on my Les Paul is right at the button on my pants.

Adjust it however it takes to make you play the best. That is always more important than looks.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
you get used to it. im tall so it doesnt mean as much but my strap is as long as i can get it. i doubt i wear my guitar as low as slash but im not far off. if you want to see low guitars check out some videos of krist novaselic from nirvana. its near his knees on a good night.
its mostly down to comfort, or ppl hav played like that for so long that they have become accustomed to it. Just keep parcticing standing up, with your guitar the height you want it and just have patience.
Slash may have longer arms than you do. It just depends on how long your arms are.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
If you've seen Robert Trujillo play bass, you know how low it can go.

It always takes a lot of practice changing how you play. I started off sitting on a stool all the time and it took 2-3 weeks to be able to play well with my guitar at waist height. And yea, it's a lot easier to play higher than your waist.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by VRAerosmith2
you get used to it. im tall so it doesnt mean as much but my strap is as long as i can get it. i doubt i wear my guitar as low as slash but im not far off. if you want to see low guitars check out some videos of krist novaselic from nirvana. its near his knees on a good night.

yea true but when you play bass you want it to be lower so you can pop easier. guess it doesn't really apply tho if you play grunge
Yeah, I've been playing sitting down the whole time. Standing up feels really awkward, cos you have the guitar at an angle.
Palm muting becomes uncomfortable cos you have to twist your hand 'round, and when I strum, I hit the strings at an angle rather than parallel, and it makes this scratchy sound as the pick scrapes on the strings.
It depends what you play, really. I used to have it fairly low, but now I play a lot of tricky chords, which, combined with having small hands and playing a Strat means I have to have it right up high. I go for the 'official' line, now, which is that you should have it as high up as it is when you're sitting down, if you get what I mean.

But if you like your chords simple and your back problems chronic, by all means have it as low as you can get it...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Want low?

Look at Taka Hirose from Feeder or Tom Delonge when he was in Blink 182.
i just have normal, middish, not to high not to low. I hate having it mega low, im not in ****ing busted so :P
the lowe i wea mine the eaise it is fo me to play up high on the fretboard so ywah
im in the fastlane on the highway to hell
i used to have that problem, now i play with the neck pup level with my crotch
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
lol well i guess ill keep practicing standing up now. belly button must show ABOVE guitar!! lol
Quote by Swap-Meet
I play guitar pretty low (as low as my strap can go)

what I do is I just angle the guitar neck higher up, I kinda find it easier to play when the guitar is higher up, but I prefer it not being so tight, and I think it looks kinda silly when it's high

yeah even if i angle the neck i still am extremely limited in stretches when doing scales and what not
Dude I had the same problem, it just takes practice, start out comfortably and lower it a bit every day, you'll get the stretch in your wrist.
Quote by captain Trips
yea true but when you play bass you want it to be lower so you can pop easier. guess it doesn't really apply tho if you play grunge

I guess you haven't seen Victor Wooten...
I play it almost as low as the strap permits.

I suck on rhythm with it that low, but I can do leads perfectly at that level
Looking like a poser on stage isn't worth relearning guitar for and potentially getting carpal tunnel. Bad times man, bad times. Just play where it's comfortable.

Hell, Morello rocks with it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay