Alright me being the idiot I am.. I put my martin in its soft case on top of my car... and I was cleanign some things out of the passenger seat and i got a phone call and proceeded to get into the car and back out of the driveway. So i drove for about a half a mile with my guitar on my car when I went over a speed bump and something hit the ground behind me to see in rearview mirror my guitar case in the middle of the street. It was terrible.

So i pulled over and held my breath as i unzipped the case... Luckily there was only around a 4 inch crack on the back edge. When you look at it from the inside of the guitar you can only see a tiny thin beam of light coming through. Id say two quarter inch spots

Its on the edge connecting the side wood to the back wood on the guitar.

So my question is... Is it imperative to fix it? Will it get worse? the sound of the guitar is the same but im worried that with the tension it will get bigger and be a harder thing to fix in the future?
damn man. since it's a martin i would say get it fixed immediately.

how can you let that happen to a martin? :/
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by A Rolling Stone
you dont deserve a martin if you treat it like that

Not that stupid.

This was stupid:
There was the muso who left a borrowed Strad. Violin worth $2m in the back seat of a Taxi. I think that would be pretty hard to top for stupidity. Amazingly, he got it back due to a very honest Cabbie. That's one Strad. he'll never be able to borrow again!
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 27, 2008,
^ I doubt most cab drivers know how much violins are worth.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Th3V1nce
Alright me being the idiot I am.. I put my martin in its soft case on top of my car... and I was cleanign some things out of the passenger seat and i got a phone call and proceeded to get into the car and back out of the driveway. So i drove for about a half a mile with my guitar on my car when I went over a speed bump and something hit the ground behind me to see in rearview mirror my guitar case in the middle of the street. It was terrible.

So i pulled over and held my breath as i unzipped the case... Luckily there was only around a 4 inch crack on the back edge. When you look at it from the inside of the guitar you can only see a tiny thin beam of light coming through. Id say two quarter inch spots

Its on the edge connecting the side wood to the back wood on the guitar.

So my question is... Is it imperative to fix it? Will it get worse? the sound of the guitar is the same but im worried that with the tension it will get bigger and be a harder thing to fix in the future?

If the crack is going in the same direction as the grain of the wood then there shouldnt be much of a problem. the crack shouldnt get any bigger. if the crack is going perpendicular to the grain then you really will need to get it fixed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yea it was pretty retarded... but i mean lets be serious thats not how i "treat" my guitar... just a brain lapse.

The crack is along the edge of the guitar.. the corner holding the side wood to the back.

so its not on the wood but between two peices of wood...

but it is going along the curve of the guitar along the edge
Well... it's always safer to get it checked out. Depending on where it is, it may get larger.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
You can't hear a difference already?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
it can't hurt to get it repaired, but it may hurt to leave it

i think you know what to do
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by kennyvspenny
damn man. since it's a martin i would say get it fixed immediately.

how can you let that happen to a martin? :/

+1!!
Wow! So big deal, he cracked his martin! **** happens. Give it a rest already! What are you guys, two years old?
Yeah, it was dumb, but... it already happened. No sense beating him up about it.

So how about some real info on the problem?

A crack in the back of the guitar isn't going to affect the tone as much as it would if it were in the top. This is good for you.

It shouldn't be a horribly difficult thing to repair... and (more good news for you) it sounds like because of the location, the cosmetic issue could probably be disguised with binding and/or purfling.

Find a luthier in your area and get an estimate.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...