Alright, so this saturday, I'm going to GuitarCenter, and picking me up a Peavy Valveking 112. I was wondering if the Bad monkey is a good overdrive pedal for tube amps such as the peavy. or should i just shell out an extra 50 buxcks and go for the Zakky Wylde OD pedal? Help me please.
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Peavey Valveking 112
Electro-harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Mogami Cables
Dunlop Tortex Orange .60mm Picks
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
the bad monkey is a great pedal. the zakk wylde pedal is more metal than overdrive.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
The bad monkey is pretty nice for 50 bucks. If wanna go higher then a used tubescreamer or a bbe greenscreamer would be a better choice. Zakk doesn't even use that OD pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The bad monkey is pretty nice for 50 bucks. If wanna go higher then a used tubescreamer or a bbe greenscreamer would be a better choice. Zakk doesn't even use that OD pedal.

but dime did.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
get either an ibanez ts7 or ts9, otherwise if your willing to spend the extra money a ts808 is really nice. but if you are on a strict budget the bad monkey will do ok.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Zakk doesn't even use that OD pedal.

Yes he does, only his is custom made with a smidge more gain than the stock version.

Not to mention, John Petrucci uses it too!
first dont get a valveking i had one i took it back as fast as i got it .i like digitech i have used them for over twenty years and never had a beef with them i use them with my crate 212 and my marshall rg 50 and they sound great on them i got grunge , death and tone driver great peds i have beat the hell out of those peds and they are like a damn timex .but the best thing is not to jump in and buy the first thing you see try some amps out and some peds out see what you like and the way they sound to you i can only tell you what i like , you have to live with it hope this helps you out .
Last edited by stompbox at Aug 27, 2008,
really like how the peavy sounds tho. what do you have against it, stomp?

Thanks guys for the help. and btw dimes tone sounds like a bag of chips being crushed repeatedly
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Peavey Valveking 112
Mogami Cables
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yes he does, only his is custom made with a smidge more gain than the stock version.

Not to mention, John Petrucci uses it too!

I always though Zakk used an SD-1. Petrucci may have it in his rack, but I question how much he uses it when he has plenty of nice overdrives.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Shawn, before you go shelling out $450 to the rapists at GC, check your local craigslist for god's sake. If you are stuck on the VK, they go for $225 and you could afford a good pedal. Maxon OD808 would be my personal choice. But seriously, see what you have near you before you pull the trigger.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I always though Zakk used an SD-1. Petrucci may have it in his rack, but I question how much he uses it when he has plenty of nice overdrives.

Nope. Zakk uses all Dunlop effects (MXR is owned by Dunlop) - MXR ZW44 overdrive, MXR M-134 chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, and finally a Dunlop JD-45 Rotovibe.

As for JP I have no clue how often he uses it but he has the ZW44 listed in his gear list on his website.

To the TS: I have no personal experience with the Bad Monkey but from what I hear its a pretty good TS-808 replica.
i dont want used gear. I personally like guitar center.
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Peavey Valveking 112
Mogami Cables
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
What's wrong with used gear?
Atleast when you wanna sell it you can get all your money back, or atleast close to it, rather then using a few hundred bucks.

I say Maxon OD808
Quote by Shawn Sousa
i dont want used gear. I personally like guitar center.
Then by all means do so. It is your hard earned cash and yours to do with however you choose. I see people all the time in these forums that don't understand that you can get 40-50% off of new price so I thought you should know. In a lot of cases, the previous owner has upgraded tubes or a speaker or both, which IMO increases the value of the product. I like GC too, that's where I go to try out gear, or SamAsh.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Who cares if Dime did? No disrespect to the man but his tone was terrible...

but the added sustain it gave to him was amazing. there's a video on utube with dime and his tech goin through his rig and he kicked on the OD and he did one of his harmonic screams and i ain't ****tin u, it added about 15 seconds of sustain to it.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
zakk wylde does use it. that od is not meant to be used alone. it's made to be used with amp overdrive. people are dumb and think it's useless haha. it's made to increase gain and sustain without altering tone as much as other od pedals.
btw, zakk wylde uses the custom shop one. it's a slight different color and it's worth almost a thousand bucks. super rare. i know a guy who has one it's a little different sounding but not too sure what
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by vmanoman
the bad monkey is a great pedal. the zakk wylde pedal is more metal than overdrive.

lol that doesn't really make sense...

But, maybe not an option but I just built a ts 808 from general guitar gadgets with germanium diodes, with the switch to change to the LED diode clipping. Awesome pedal, sounds great very versatile, and only 60 bucks!

but if you dont have any experience with soldering then probably isn't a good option...
The bad monkey, from what I heard is a good OD pedal. And I have heard good things about the zw od pedal too...

If you are going to the GC definately try them out. Try them on the clean channel, and using them as a gain boost on the dirty channel, to push the amp into metal gain
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Sakattack75
but the added sustain it gave to him was amazing. there's a video on utube with dime and his tech goin through his rig and he kicked on the OD and he did one of his harmonic screams and i ain't ****tin u, it added about 15 seconds of sustain to it.

can i get the link? i wanna see it. i cant find it
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack