Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Fender Champion 600 and was wondering whether there are any negatives about the amp. I have the capability of replacing the tubes with higher quality 12AX7s and 6V6s or 6L6s.

Is it worth it for $200 or however much it is at GC? Is the Epiphone Valve Jr. better, assuming I do not have compatible tubes for that?

I will be using the amp with my RG2EX1 and with a distortion pedal, which I have yet to pick out.

EDIT: I need a tube amp for dorm use
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Last edited by KolosoK at Aug 28, 2008,
The champ only has a volume knob, and the 6in speaker wont give you a great full tube tone. And even with a VJ, you would need an EQ pedal or something else to help with shaping the tone some.
I'm not sure what you're after exactly. Negative towards what? Playing in a band? Yes, its too small with that speaker unless you plug it into a cab. Is it great in your bedroom or living, does it have nice tone and accepts pedals well? Yes, yes and yes. I love mine, but if I was to do a mod I'd either replace the speaker or plug it into a cab. If you have high output pickups and crank it the speaker won't handle it too well. Thats the only weakness I found, but then its made to be played with a tele or Strat which its sweet with at all volumes.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by beckyjc
I thinkt he champs terrible, vj sounds much better, the champs very thin sounding.

Even if I replace the tubes and fix up the electronics?

Quote by DSOTM80
I'm not sure what you're after exactly. Negative towards what? Playing in a band? Yes, its too small with that speaker unless you plug it into a cab. Is it great in your bedroom or living, does it have nice tone and accepts pedals well? Yes, yes and yes. I love mine, but if I was to do a mod I'd either replace the speaker or plug it into a cab. If you have high output pickups and crank it the speaker won't handle it too well. Thats the only weakness I found, but then its made to be played with a tele or Strat which its sweet with at all volumes.

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer.

I will be using the amp to practice at home and at my dorm room in college. I'm simply looking for something that will give a better tone than my piece of crap Crate, yet something that won't be overly expensive or bulky.

Dang, sucks about the speaker. Where can I get a nice 6"?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
The speaker is fine, I mean I don't mind it. I'm not changing anything on mine. I like the amp a lot, just saying if you crank it to 12 it won't like it if you have high output pickups. Maybe look into a Fender Blues Jr. For dorm the Champ 600 is great I think.
Hmmm.. do you think an Epiphone Valve Jr (the combo) would be better, considering I could only replace the 12AX7 tube and not the EL84? I only have 6L6s, 6V6s, and 12AX7s at my disposal.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
No idea man, I'm not a fan of the VJ. Maybe look for some 10 or 15 watt used combo amps, you could get a much better deal then buying new.
Quote by DSOTM80
No idea man, I'm not a fan of the VJ. Maybe look for some 10 or 15 watt used combo amps, you could get a much better deal then buying new.

Yeah, I'm going to go check out some used gear a store by my work tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Its very vintage sounding, and can sound a bit fuzzy when cranked (until speaker breaks in)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I found an EL84, so I think I'm going to go for the Epiphone if GC has any

EDIT: Called my local GC. They said they don't have any, but would be able to get me this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Half-Stack-481475-i1275082.gc

... for $199.99
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Last edited by KolosoK at Aug 27, 2008,
why not the v18, its cheaper than the champ and you can get a nice tone at quiet volume, with the ability to crank it when you need to
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
why not the v18, its cheaper than the champ and you can get a nice tone at quiet volume, with the ability to crank it when you need to

Well, I ended up not buying anything. The tone sucked on both (they wouldn't give me a pedal to try the amps with ). I tried a tube crate as well, but didn't like it much.

Going to a place tomorrow that sells used gear. Going to see if they have anything decent.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
If anyone cares at all...

Went to a local store in Stanton, CA called Squid Music. (I think they have a myspace, but I don't want to post links to that hideous site)

Came back with a 1980 Fender Vibro Champ (6W, all tube... 4 tubes). Bought it for $250 out the door. The same one (probably a bit older model) was selling at a local GC for $600 (wtf?). The store was going to fix it up, but my father and I are experienced enough, so we just decided to buy it for the cheaper price.

Replaced the power cable, a couple of nuts and bolts, cleaned it up a bit (it's rusty as hell, but has a nice vintage look). Replaced a couple of capacitors and added a filter. Sounds like magic! No noise at all at full volume! Only noise comes from the vibrato circuit, which I'm considering taking out.

It was around $20-30 over my budget, but I'm glad I bought it. Sounds much better than any new $150-$350 I've ever played at a guitar store.

I'll post a new thread with photos and maybe an mp3 sample. The latter may not come because I suck :s
U-G Profile

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Congrats looks like you bought something you like. I told you about buying used :P