Seeing it fit that should learn barre chords, I decided to a 3 days ago. So far though its extremely frustrating and I do feel like I'm progressing. I"m unable to barre all the strings with my index finger and I'm getting lines on my finger after which is bad. So any practice advice or advice in general would be appreciated thanks.
instead of using the front (inside) part of your finger, try using the side of your finger to bar the strings
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
they didn't really come to me until like 3 years of playing. keep practicing, and be patient
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Using more of the side of my index finger is helping a lot, not quite perfect but its getting somewhere. Anyone recommend some songs that are good practice w/ barre chords?
Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin has fast downpicking, and fast barre chord changes. Try some Green Day for easier stuff.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Drustin
Seeing it fit that should learn barre chords, I decided to a 3 days ago. So far though its extremely frustrating and I do feel like I'm progressing. I"m unable to barre all the strings with my index finger and I'm getting lines on my finger after which is bad. So any practice advice or advice in general would be appreciated thanks.

Normally you only have to catch about 2-4 strings with your index finger. When I try to barre all six just to see if I can, I normally have one string that doesn't catch. To fix this problem I let my index finger protrude out over the neck a little bit instead of stopping it on the 6th string.
Quote by nbmack
Hotel California but instead of open chords use Barre chords.
. Bm,F#,A,E,G,D,Em,F# then repeat using all barre chords then repeat (thats not he whole song but it will get you started) it uses the E Shape A Shape & Am Shape up and down the fret board gets you used to switching between shapes and moving them around, my guitar teacher gave that to me to help me out.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
Quote by phobiafreak949
instead of using the front (inside) part of your finger, try using the side of your finger to bar the strings

That's the best trick, I think.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

just keep playing them and after a while youll see a gradual improvement. when i first tried it hurt my hand and sounded terrible. so i just practised them for ten minutes (dont try nd do to much cos theres no point) a day and before i knew it it was so easy. just keep your hands relaxed when u try nd u'll be there in no time
Yea things are coming along very nicely thanks everyone for the help.
Quote by Drustin
Using more of the side of my index finger is helping a lot, not quite perfect but its getting somewhere. Anyone recommend some songs that are good practice w/ barre chords?

Try playing Creep by Radiohead. When you're barring, try making it so that the folds on you index finger arent pushing the strings because it would probably mute it.
I aways had a problem then a frind of my shower me its all in you thumb, pass hard aginst the middle of the neck with the hard middle part of you thumb.
Yea man I'm starting to really get a feel for it, tried a different thumb placement which helped a lot.
Quote by Drustin
Yea man I'm starting to really get a feel for it, tried a different thumb placement which helped a lot.

Glad to hear it; have you tried switching barre chords? If you're going to get into rhythm guitar, you gotta handle fast chord changes. I'm learning rhythm guitar myself

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha