if you have looked at my bio, you may know that i have 2 guitars, a Silvertone Revolver(Start Copy) and a Epi Les Paul Studio. one has a whammy bar and one doesnt(take a guess which doesnt). i was wondering

1) how hard would it be to add one to my LP

2) if i decided to do it, what whammy bar set up would you recommend(im looking for something strong enough that it wont break)

or
3) should i skip the whole thing and invest in a tremolo pedal?

peace
RC

ps: click here for a pic of the LP Studio

Next purchase: Peavey Vypyr 30 Combo Amp
I think you should skip everything altogether and get a new guitar
It's a process, not an event.
Tremolo pedal fluctuates volume. You are gonna want a whammy pedal, I guess, but they have a very large sweep on them and don't really sound like a whammy bar.
Oh my god... Thats my exact guitar!!

Anyway... I would just get either a wah pedal or just get a new guitar... Unless you wanted to fit a bigsby...

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
Quote by Woogles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OONnAVIQ3I

I believe this solves your problems.

win
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Bigsby doesnt have a lot of range, its only really good for vibrato, no divebombs
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I'd say go for a new guitar xD
BUT, if you want to add a trem of some sort, you need to get a Bigsby, they're really the only trem you can put on an LP without tearing the thing apart.
Anyway, good luck.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

well you could rout out the majority of your guitars top and install a whammy bar.

But I would Just Buy a new guitar.
Sig What?
I am actually getting a custom built. LP body with a wilkinson trem
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
unless your gonna get it fitted for a bigsby it doesn't sound likely...but dude honestly nobody uses a whammy bar its just a toy, hence why cheap guitars and shred guitars have them. les pauls aren't meant for them, get over it. they aren't important.
Quote by dbl93100
unless your gonna get it fitted for a bigsby it doesn't sound likely...but dude honestly nobody uses a whammy bar its just a toy, hence why cheap guitars and shred guitars have them. les pauls aren't meant for them, get over it. they aren't important.

Richie Blackmore and David Gilmour beg to differ.
Quote by swgb24
Richie Blackmore and David Gilmour beg to differ.

Plus John Frusciante
yeah bigsby is the only tremelo u can put on without ****ing it up.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
yeah bigsby is the only tremelo u can put on without ****ing it up.

Incorrect.
Quote by Snapple
You could get a stetsbar http://stetsbar.com/

I can't figure out why no one knows about these things.
why do people alternate between tremolo and whammy, they're the same thing aren't they?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by mattiwillohouse
why do people alternate between tremolo and whammy, they're the same thing aren't they?

not if you're talking about effects pedals.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mattiwillohouse

Yeah they are...some people just prefer to call it a whammy bar.

Example :

a while ago I was talking with a friend of mine, and some how something about the trem/wammy bar popped up in a conversation between us...and i called it a trem

He's like WTF!?!!? you sound like an idiot DOOD they're whammy bars, whammy bars sound badass, tremolo bar sounds stupid.
I recomend the Stetsbar it will keep your guitar original with out all the destructive routing. If it turnes out you don't like it you can just put the old hardware back on and you can do it yourself rather than pay a luthier to do it for you. I recomend these to all the Gibson guys who ask me to add a tremolo to their guitars. I got one of these comped so I could test it and it works great without damaging a guitar. I have been colecting guitars for many years and there is nothing worse than seeing vintage Gibsons hacked up. I tell people all the time if your goping to up grade save the original parts most collectors want a guitar all original. I know you have an Epi but it's still better to try and keep it original. Even with the cost of a Floyd, Kahler or a lisenced version of either one it's going to cost you for the parts and the work to the guitar. It could easily cost you double what you paid for the guitar alone.
Look for a Les Paul Floyd Rose on Ebay; they were made for a short time and only need a locking nut shelf, no other routing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Stetsbar is one, theres also other things that modify the stoptail bar, i believe schaller makes one.

The other option is that they now make a piece of metal that attaches to the bottom strap button and the holes for the tailpiece and lets you attach a B-50 bigsby i think, another option if your unsure about a bigsby but willing to have a go
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Get a stetsbar. Requires no routing to the body
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Quote by mattiwillohouse

tremolo is a more technical term, where as whammy is just kinda Guitar Hero induced...
like someone else said, the whammy bar's correct name is tremelo bar, or trem. However, they named it incorrectly because tremelo is, as somebody else has already said, a fluctuation in volume.

that stetsbar looks well good !!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
it really does depend on the music you play doesnt it?

dime used one massively
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.