I just found a bass but it has nothing on the headstock so I don't know who made it or anything.

I came here in hopes that someone could identify it.

looks like an ernie ball stingray, i may be wrong.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

it is either a fender j bass knock off. our you just lucky and found an old fender bass. Can I have it?
Quote by slash4114

...Not really

Looks alot like a Jazz Bass clone.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by slash4114

haha what?

it actually looks like a Fender Jazz with maybe a different neck? or some kind of a fender knockoff.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
What do you mean an oval recessed into the headstock?

This thing has probably been in a closet for at least 20 years if that helps

Edit: Is there a way for me to check if its fender?
I can only tell that it has some semblance of being a J-bass.

It could be a knockoff, or even a J-bass body with an aftermarket neck.

Although this is just the inexperienced spewing a guitarist who wandered into the bass forum.

Quote by tipsy31191

It looks like there is a spot on the headstock between the tuning posts for the A and D strings where some kind of oval shaped object has been for a long time. Probably the nameplate of the maker.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by tipsy31191

On the head closeup, it looks like there's a bit under the G string where something could have slotted in, like a metal badge or something (my jazz copy had one until I took it out). And I think Fenders have serial numbers on the pots.
Quote by tipsy31191

Neckplate?
Any serial numbers?
If it is a copy, it looks a good one with a **** neck...
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
No that oval seems to be just in the picture.

If it helps, its a bolt on neck and it says built in Japan
Wow... Lucky it has what every jazz bass needs, godly inlays! Have you tried playing it how does it sound?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by tipsy31191
I took the pickguard off and the only thing underneath is a little nook where the neck meet the body. I also noticed that there are two holes near the bridge. Like the picture below has.

http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/images/62%20jazz%20bass.jpg

in between the bridge pickup and the bridge it looks like those holes might have been from an old bridge

There were alot of decent japanese clones that came out in the 60s and 70s, when owning an honest to god fender was not cost effective for most people. That looks like one. Any serial numbers to be found anywhere?

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the holes are from a bridge cover that was taken off at some point.
There are absolutely no numbers anywhere. The only thing I can find is that it says made in Japan
Sometimes there's a number in the neck pocket...

I love the neck on that bass.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
As Anarkee says, its probs one of the many Japenese Fender Knock-Offs that came about in the 70's, some are actually pretty nice though, for a starting bass, how does it sound and feel, thats what's important really
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
well I'm a guitar player so everything seems a bit weird. The action seemed ridiculous at first but then I used a tutorial to check it and the action is fine. Setup wise, the only thing im confused about is at the bridge, the part where the string lies (bridge saddle?) if I loosen the string, I can move the saddles around and that doesn't seems like it should happen. I also found an epiphone 800b amp along with it, so I'm using that for the time being.

One little obnoxious thing is it appears the strap nut on the top wing broke off, and was relocated to the bottom wing.
Mabye it was taken off and put there so it could be played left handed?
Bass Player
I hate to semi-necro the thread, but the other day my brother in law showed some of the music stuff he's collected over the 40 years of his life =p. I instantly recognized a bass he had from this thread:

I know it is a little different (headstock), but thought I'd just mention it (and also point out it has no serials or brand names marked on it either).
Japan was THE place to have a bass built in the seventies. That's why so many bass players who were on their way up in the seventies (Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee) have signature basses made in Japan. You have on your hands probably a very decent Fender knock-off.