Hey guys, new to the bass forums here and the bass in general... I have a problem when I slap. If I slap the any fret on my bass it sounds like I am muting it, no matter what I do. I think it might be a problem with the action? How much would this cost and what is the quickest and easiest way to fix this? Thanks.
you sure you move your thumb right? hit the string and remove it (thumb :p ) quickly?
Are you sure you're slapping it right? No sense in getting a costly repair done if it's just your technique that's bad. Check around this site and look very closely at everyone's tutorials on slapping and popping.
I'm almost certain its not a problem with your action and its your technique... Pretty much every person when they start has a problem with slapping and end up muting the strings. Keep trying to let your thumb kind bounce off the string, or get lessons and get a professional to show you how to actually do it properly one on one.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Although I doubt this is the case, it could be your pickups...

My bass loses all volume when I slap and it pisses me off.
I dont see how your action and pickups would behave any different to when you are playing normally.
Id say its your technique, loosen up ur thumb when you slap, let it bounce.
I'm pretty sure It isn't my technique, I'm removing my thumb right after I slap. If it helps, it's more like tapping you finger on a desk sound.
Let thumb bounce back really fast and do not put a lot of energy into slapping! You don't have to put a lot of force behind your thumb, just slap the string with your thumb relaxed. I'm almost positive that it is your technique and not your bass.
I can get it clear for an open string, but it's real quiet, and still it's making the noise on the frets. I'll go see a teacher or something, but thanks for all the help.
If you had a video or something, it would be easier to help but I think the best thing to do would be to see a teacher like you said.
its not the Action.

its your Left Hand Technique

Make sure you put your finger in the right spot and don't rest any other of your fingers on the strings

Rocco from Tower Of Power does this in this Finger style to get his sound, I dig it, but only when its needed

keep your fingers away from the string when you slap

Does this also happen when you Pop?

if so, then, Yes left hand technicque, if not...

I'm stumped
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
contrary to what these people are saying, correct slap technique involves hitting the string right at the end of the fretboard, and letting it move to rest on the next string. its good to have a bass with decent string spacing for this. the wild, metal style slapping is cool looking, but not as accurate, and often gives a muddy tone.
trust me on this. i take lessons from a pro jazz player.
also, a brighter voiced bass, like a fender jazz or precision with an ash body.
also, low action helps as well. but not too low, or you'll get a lot of fret buzz.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Try making contact with the string using the ball of your thumb on the knucke, come dwn at a diagonal angle thumb pointing downwards and instead of just bringing the thumb down, keep your wrist loose and rotate it, use your wrist not your arm.
I have pupils come in all the time who can't slap and it's usually just a common mistake in technique.
yep not quick enough on the slap
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
i find a good way to describe the motion is you "whip" the string with your thumb...just like flick your hand toward the strings with your thumb relaksed and rotate from the wrist...or like the other guy said just hit the string and go thru and stop on the nekst one, but thats a whole differnt style of it and for that you have to have your thumb/arm alot more parallel to the strings

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by kumamilesbear
contrary to what these people are saying, correct slap technique involves hitting the string right at the end of the fretboard, and letting it move to rest on the next string. its good to have a bass with decent string spacing for this. the wild, metal style slapping is cool looking, but not as accurate, and often gives a muddy tone.
trust me on this. i take lessons from a pro jazz player.
also, a brighter voiced bass, like a fender jazz or precision with an ash body.
also, low action helps as well. but not too low, or you'll get a lot of fret buzz.

The proper technique for slapping doesn't mean hitting down through the string. Usually it's a bounce off of the string, unless you're double thumping at which point it's a through and through so you can hit it again on an upstroke. But that's not what we're talking about. Also, I'm not sure the last time I saw A jazz bass player slap, never mind a pro.

As for the TS, if you're sure your thumb is bouncing off the string immediately, make sure your arm is not muting it anywhere (I know it sounds dumb, but god does it happen) and make sure your left hand fingers aren't getting in the way.

To me this doesn't sound like technique though, it sounds more like an action/neck relief problem. I would definitely say neck relief if this happens in only one part of the neck. Verify?