Page 1 of 7
Now we all know that these two demographics are polar opposites of each other. No self respecting classical guitarist would be caught dead headbanging to some brutal death metal song and no true metalhead would be able to listen to any Bach composition for more than 20 seconds.

Now I just said all that to get youe attention and it's pure bullshit . But I think that metalheads and classical music fans have more in common than they let slip. To a large extent, both enjoy complex music and intricate instrumental passages and the interplay of the instruments. And both appreciate the hard work it takes to attain the virtioustic standard that both these styles of music demand. Now granted, some metal is exceedingly easy, but so are some classical pieces.

So do you think classical music fans and metal fans have basically the same taste in music but only the tool differ, i.e, classical music has violin, piano, cello and metal has guitar, bass and drums.

So am I making a good point or should I just go back to headbanging to Beethoven?
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
what ever floats your boat, no need to gloat
I see no sign of fortress.
Hm......Richie Blackmore....Yngwie Malmsteen.....???

I think this point has been proven many times before.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

well i love metal and i love classical so i guess it makes sense
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
I guess...?

I enjoy both. There is a radio station that plays classical music and I fall asleep to it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Pretty decent point I guess, I took a music appreciation class last year and loved the music we listened to. I don't think people would necessarily call me a metalhead though, I do listen to it, but not strictly metal.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
I'm not saying that metal hasen't been influenced by classical music, that is a given. What I'm saying is that the fans of both the music styles are basically the same in their taste of music, only the image and the instruments differ.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
quite true.
i love a well structured and complicated metal song and prog metal like dream theater, opeth and between the buried and me blows me away
however metal is great due to either catchy choruses, fast drum beats or face melting guitar riffs
classical music has no lyrics
Why would metalheads hate classical? There is a lot of metal/shred with classical influence.

But you are right when you say only the instruments and image differ.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 27, 2008,
The Human Abstract is metal+classical. I enjoy both genres immensely.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

Quote by VoodooCow229
Hm......Richie Blackmore....Yngwie Malmsteen.....???

I think this point has been proven many times before.

This
maybe in theory the music is comparable, but the lyrics, loudness, distortion is probably why it doesn't click with many classical music fans who tend to enjoy quite and clean music that only gets loud during a songs climax.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
quite true.
i love a well structured and complicated metal song and prog metal like dream theater, opeth and between the buried and me blows me away
however metal is great due to either catchy choruses, fast drum beats or face melting guitar riffs
classical music has no lyrics

Yes but many classical songs have very catchy melody lines, no wonder many of them are used in so many films and even in elevators. You can just hum along to them, and I doubt I can do that with a Meshuggah song .

Quote by Masonpwiley
Why would metalheads hate classical? There is a lot of metal/shred with classical influence.

Read my first post in it's entirety.

SPIDEdit : Damn you edited it
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by epptron
a clockwork orange soundtrack rocks

So does Stevie Ray Vaughan. I thought you should know.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

A big part of metal is influenced by classical music, especially Shred, Power, Neo-Classical and others
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by greatone_12
maybe in theory the music is comparable, but the lyrics, loudness, distortion is probably why it doesn't click with many classical music fans who tend to enjoy quite and clean music that only gets loud during a songs climax.

Yes I agree. But that is only because fans of metal are used to the heaviness. When you heard your first tech death song, you might not have understood anything. But after a while, you began to figure out the intricacies of the instruments. It works the other way around as well. A metalhead will get bored very quickly of a classical piece just because he/she is used to the loudness and heavyness.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by blues-guitarist
A big part of metal is influenced by classical music, especially Shred, Power, Neo-Classical and others

So that's why it's called Neo-Classical.....

If you people haven't noticed yet, I think this thread is full of obviousness. That's a word.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I like both
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I think metalheads can enjoy both more than classical fans can. Classical fans aren't used to the heaviness.

Quote by spider666
Yes but many classical songs have very catchy melody lines, no wonder many of them are used in so many films and even in elevators. You can just hum along to them, and I doubt I can do that with a Meshuggah song .

Meshuggah doesn't have a ton of classical influence, but I still think they write catchy riffs. I get Meshuggah songs stuck in my head almost every day.
No I don't. Those traits are in most genres of music to some extent - there are complicated versions and simple versions of every genre

and plus : classical > metal
Real metal dudes don't only like shred guitar. Quite a few have a large musical taste from blues and such.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Quote by VoodooCow229
So that's why it's called Neo-Classical.....

If you people haven't noticed yet, I think this thread is full of obviousness. That's a word.

Again, I'm not comparing the music styles just for the sake of the music. We know metal is heavily influenced by classical. What I was stating is that metalheads have a lot in common musical taste-wise to classical music fans. A lot of classical music fans and musicians look down upon the majority of metal as a lower form of music and metalheads and uneducated and unshaven, while in essence, they are basically the same in their appreciation of complex music.

Quote by Surfer Rosa
No I don't. Those traits are in most genres of music to some extent - there are complicated versions and simple versions of every genre and plus : classical > metal

But in metal and classical it is an intention of the musicians to create technical and challenging stuff. All genres have complicated and simple stuff, but rarely do you see such a strict adherence to technicality and virtuosity. And I agree with the dude who posted above saying that being a metalhead opens up your music pallet to many other genres. Well atleast that's how it's been for me .
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Last edited by spider666 at Aug 27, 2008,
I hate to be annoyingly pedantic...but surely pretty much all music nowadays (emphasis on the pretty much) is influenced by 'classical' music? I'm just assuming you mean classical music to mean anything pre-1900ish, but if you recognise classical music as being different from Baroque, Romantic and even Renaissance then my point becomes less valid.

Metal is hardly the only genre to use elements of classical music. Heck, the whole idea of Major and Minor keys came from 'classical' music.
Quote by matt bickerton
I hate to be annoyingly pedantic...but surely pretty much all music nowadays (emphasis on the pretty much) is influenced by 'classical' music? I'm just assuming you mean classical music to mean anything pre-1900ish, but if you recognise classical music as being different from Baroque, Romantic and even Renaissance then my point becomes less valid.

Metal is hardly the only genre to use elements of classical music. Heck, the whole idea of Major and Minor keys came from 'classical' music.

I agree with your point, every music in some way influences all the other genres. But the way that metal and classical are similar is in the mentality. Both sects appreciate technicality and are always looking out to create more technical music. I was comparing the mentality of the classical musician and music fan to that of a metalhead, I know that classical has influenced almost every genre of music including metal, I was commenting on the tastes and mentalities of both the music's fans.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by Masonpwiley
I think metalheads can enjoy both more than classical fans can. Classical fans aren't used to the heaviness.

Meshuggah doesn't have a ton of classical influence, but I still think they write catchy riffs. I get Meshuggah songs stuck in my head almost every day.

Me too, got New Millenium Cyanide Christ stuck in my head today >_<

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i'm currently listening to I Giorni - Ludivco Einaudi

and i went to see Metallica a few days ago

admittadly not exactly death metal however shows variety in my tastes as i also went to see Dizzee Rascal

open your mind and embrace all music

music is too much about fashion

deny it all you want but the reason you will turn off Take That's newest hit is purely on who they are if you're a metalhead

it might be brillliant

i mean i know every1 has their tastes

but don't restrict your ears
I think a lot of metal heads, despite saying they like classical, have a very shallow view of classical music and don't really know that much about it.

That point is further illustrated by everyone in this thread saying classical listener's aren't used to "heavy" music and that classical songs have "happy melodies." Ever heard of Shostakovich or Bartok? Probably a lot of you haven't, because the majority of people who say they like classical can't name many other composers besides "the big three."

I only really listen to classical. I don't like metal because I think that it's really simple, despite the virtuosity of some of the players. Playing many notes fast doesn't necessarily make something more complex.

As a matter of fact, to be honest, it really irritates me when people try and compare the two genres, because classical music (and no, I don't just mean the Classical era, though this also applies to that) is so much more obviously intelligent and meaningful than any kind of metal.

EDIT: I don't actually only listen to classical. My ipod is filled with about 26 gigs of classical, and the rest (about 4 gigs or so) is jazz. When it comes to rock, I like Pavement, Phish and the Grateful Dead. I listen to some rap like The Roots from time to time also. Just want to clear that up.
Last edited by Shackman10 at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by MaxLees666
i'm currently listening to I Giorni - Ludivco Einaudi

and i went to see Metallica a few days ago

admittadly not exactly death metal however shows variety in my tastes as i also went to see Dizzee Rascal

open your mind and embrace all music

music is too much about fashion

deny it all you want but the reason you will turn off Take That's newest hit is purely on who they are if you're a metalhead

it might be brillliant

i mean i know every1 has their tastes

but don't restrict your ears
Thank you. My friends and I listen to tons of different stuff ranging from Pop to Metal to Classical (Spanning Baroque to 20th Century) to Rap to whatever weird **** we can find.

Shackman10: I'm sorry but you're just ignorant. I love my fair share of "Classical" (Vivaldi, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Berg, Bartok and the "big three") but you're just as bad as these "shallow metalheads".

DOUBLEEDIT:I guess I haven't looked hard enough but every Bartok piece I have just isn't that dark when all I hear is how dark his music is....Very dark Classical is like my crack.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Thank you. My friends and I listen to tons of different stuff ranging from Pop to Metal to Classical (Spanning Baroque to 20th Century) to Rap to whatever weird **** we can find.

Shackman10: I'm sorry but you're just ignorant. I love my fair share of "Classical" (Vivaldi, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Berg, Bartok and the "big three") but you're just as bad as these "shallow metalheads".

DOUBLEEDIT:I guess I haven't looked hard enough but every Bartok piece I have just isn't that dark when all I hear is how dark his music is....Very dark Classical is like my crack.

I'm not just as bad, because instead of just being ignorant and thinking I'm enjoying high culture by playing the four seasons every so often between my Cannibal Corpse cds, I'm listening to these bands and deciding that they aren't good because the musicianship just isn't there. People like Yngwie Malmsteen, who played that "concerto for electric guitar," are so naive to think that just orchestrating something makes it automatically intelligent and cultured.

If you listen to the Yngwie piece on youtube, "Blitzkrieg," it's just him shredding over pretty much backing chords being played by an orchestra. ANYONE could write that.
I was just headbanging along to the 7th

I don't know a single metalhead who doesn't take his Death and his Brahms in equal measure. In fact, they're all classically trained musicians. In my mind, Beethoven and Richard Strauss much more like Deicide than most people realize.

I would also say that classical music almost trains you to appreciate more "challenging" music... like kvlt black metal, for instance?
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Red.Washburn77
I was just headbanging along to the 7th

I don't know a single metalhead who doesn't take his Death and his Brahms in equal measure. In fact, they're all classically trained musicians. In my mind, Beethoven and Richard Strauss much more like Deicide than most people realize.

I would also say that classical music almost trains you to appreciate more "challenging" music... like kvlt black metal, for instance?

Oh yes, black metal is so challenging to listen to. I just can't wrap my head around the complex harmonic structure of the material. The screaming and growling speaks to me so much.

BTW, some good Bartok would be his string quartets, particularly #4 and his Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. If you don't like him there's of course Shostakovich, like his trio #2 in E minor or Stravinsky...like maybe The Soldier's Tale.