Hey, I've been checking out the Crate V18-112 (the one speaker combo) but I don't have the opportunity to test it.

I play a really wide variety of music, so I need to know if it's versatile. You know, like Marley to Led Zeppelin to As Hell Broke Loose.

Also, my budget is tiny. Literally. I'm willing to work toward a better amp, but I can't really go super-expensive any time soon, and I need an amp.

Basically, does it have nice cleans? Does it sound some nice overdrive for classic rock? Can I play metal if I boost it with a good pedal?

Tell me everything you know, sound, reliability, and durability wise.

Thanks!
that amp is kick ass. thats all you need to know....

but ya that thing is pretty versatile, the rythym guitarist in my band always leaves his at my house and i mess with it all the time (hope he dosent read this) but that thing is a great amp and really versatile. wiht an OD pedal you are set... cleans are great too. for a crate that thing is top notch.
Guitars
White Gibson 61' SG Reissue
Sunburst Airline 3PDLX
Gibson Les Paul Special
Amps
Marshall 50w JCM 800 with 1960AX Cab
Fender Deluxe Reverb
EHX Stereo Pulsar<Dunlop Rotovibe<MXR Flanger<EHX Big Muff
Love this amp and the V16 Palomino... only downside is that mine is backordered for another 3 weeks !
Why can't you try it? I personally like the cleans on the amp, but I always have to keep the bass control at 10-11 o'clock or it gets muddy. It has good reverb and enough gain on tap for classic rock/hard rock. I don't think you can do better for $149.00. It is a one channel amp so you can't really switch between clean and OD unless you are using a od pedal.
Sorry to ask a question in your thread TS, but I've only had the chance to play a 2x12 V33 (I think, or it may have been a V50....regardless, it was bigger).

How does the V18 compare to the bigger amp in terms of sound quality and playability at a lower volume?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by JoshSGPGH
that amp is kick ass. thats all you need to know....

but ya that thing is pretty versatile, the rythym guitarist in my band always leaves his at my house and i mess with it all the time (hope he dosent read this) but that thing is a great amp and really versatile. wiht an OD pedal you are set... cleans are great too. for a crate that thing is top notch.

I ordered my Crate, this morning actually, but its also a "not available till 9/15/08" so I have that long aganizing wait. TO THE POINT: What overdrive would you recommend to push that amp to metal? I was thinking about a Zw-44, the amp can do blues to classic rock, but not metal so thats why I'm asking.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by syk3d
Sorry to ask a question in your thread TS, but I've only had the chance to play a 2x12 V33 (I think, or it may have been a V50....regardless, it was bigger).

How does the V18 compare to the bigger amp in terms of sound quality and playability at a lower volume?

Obviously its more playable at lower volume since it has lower wattage. I've never played the bigger ones more than for a few seconds but they are voiced the same I believe... The only huge difference is the cab size and the fact that the V18 only has 1 channel. And loudness
Quote by (Metal)lica
I ordered my Crate, this morning actually, but its also a "not available till 9/15/08" so I have that long aganizing wait. TO THE POINT: What overdrive would you recommend to push that amp to metal? I was thinking about a Zw-44, the amp can do blues to classic rock, but not metal so thats why I'm asking.

I've been wondering about an OD to go with it as well. Can someone give some suggestions?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by mcrfobtai
It can do it all. Very nice amp.
Perhaps a bad monkey if your on a budget. TS9 and Maxon od808 are good options

Can the Bad Monkey boost the amp for an Old Metallica type sound?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
One advantage to the bigger v33 2x12 is it offers an effects loop. This IMHO is an option worth adding $100 to the tab of the v18. Not to mention a little more head room, dual channel and a little better sound dispersment (having 2x12 speakers.) If you plan on using any "modulation" type effects ... or even a looper ... an FX loop is most useful.
Would it really be worth it to buy the V33 just for the FX loop?

Because I do plan on getting tremolo and phaser pedals, but not for a while.
Does an FX loop really matter? Can't you just hook them up to the guitar loop?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Don Tonberry
Can the Bad Monkey boost the amp for an Old Metallica type sound?

Yes. The Crate can do Hard rock on its own, the monkey should get it into metal
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yes. The Crate can do Hard rock on its own, the monkey should get it into metal

Can it get to Megadeth with the pedal at low volumes?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Quote by Don Tonberry
Can it get to Megadeth with the pedal at low volumes?

I have a clip of me attempting to play thrash/power metal on my Palomino V16 in my profile if you want an idea of what they can do.

The clip is with just the amp, but it can get a Rammstein-esque tone using my Double Trouble.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I think it is worth it. Also you do add versitility with the extra watts, speaker and channel. So you do get more than just an FX loop. If you run a looper for instance straight into the guitar input and send it through the preamp you will end up with a distorted signal...unless you play clean all the time. Basically the FX loop allows a signal to be amplified without dirtying it up in the preamp section. If the V18 is just a second amp for practice ... or you just need in front of amp pedals...like OD...the V18 would be great...especially at that price. Again, it is all personal preference.

You may want to go to your local guitar store and see if the difference is important to you. Play an amp with say a delay pedal or loop pedal in front of amp with the gain cranked up. Then do the same thing using an amp with an FX loop. You decide. Good Luck! And this is a great deal in any case...I'm just saying for only 100 bucks more...the cost of a pedal ... you get quite a bang for the buck!

Quote by Mitchell?
Would it really be worth it to buy the V33 just for the FX loop?

Because I do plan on getting tremolo and phaser pedals, but not for a while.
Quote by gregs1020
Mitch you never answered why you can't try the amp.

I don't have the time right now, I'm way too busy. Hopefully if I can find one nearby I'll be able to test one out.