ok so i have relized my tremolo picking is elbow motion (at least i think it is). i cant get a veideo of myself playing but when i look down i dont really see my wrist doing the majority of the movement. now i can alternate pick amazingly (conceded i know but i think my alt picking is second to none for slower stuff) but whenever i raise the tempo up to say dragonforce picking or "falling to grey"s intro by trvium i realized i dont use my wrist. now i try slowing it down then picking the speed up but i cant change it. now i wouldnt really worry about it that much but i think i also lock up my muscle and arm when i tremolo pik and it causes a little bit of pain. so is there anyway i can change my tremelo picking to actually be played correctly. and as i said ive tried the slowdown method and it doesnt work all that well, i need more of a way to re-train myself.
thanks
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I do the same thing so hopefully someone can answer this.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
i can be completely wrong but didn't you already have a thread on this?

what you should do is slowly increase tempo, but never getting out of your 'wrist picking' comfort speed.
and read freepower's sticky
i don't think he has trouble only in tremolo picking, but in general speed picking. and that sticky should cover that.
^ i had one for alternate picking, but i realized i was using the wrong term, so i thought that i should make this thread using the correct term and the way it feels (the other obne really didnt cover it all that perfectly ) to get answers pertaining to tremolo picking itself.
i really wish i had a video recording device just so i could record a clip of me playing to show what i mean. now i dont know what speed picking is so ill check out that thread you mentioned. but i have good form in alternate picking but i dont do strict picking so i can play fast downstrums as well, i really dont think i have much problems outside of tremolo picking.
so im going to check that thread out for sure
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
^ i had one for alternate picking, but i realized i was using the wrong term, so i thought that i should make this thread using the correct term and the way it feels (the other obne really didnt cover it all that perfectly ) to get answers pertaining to tremolo picking itself.

Tremolo picking is really just fast alternate picking. As far as RH technique goes, there is no difference between the two.

Anyway, what you described is a really, really common problem that many guitarists have.

Ok, building a bit on what RCalisto said.

The slow-it-down-and-build-the-speed back up method does work. What I think you might be doing is building the speed back up too quickly. You're not giving the good picking habit that you are practicing while playing slowly enough time to get really locked in.

Ok, first an experiment. Grab a mirror and place it in front of where you play so that you will be able to see your picking hand/arm. This will be helpful because it can be quite hard to tell when you are beginning to transition to elbow picking.

Take a tremolo picked lick that you know well, set the metronome to half your top speed, and play it a few times while watching your right hand in the mirror. Hopefully you are picking with your wrist at this point.

Bump the speed by 10bpm and repeat. Keep going up 10bpm at a time. As you start getting closer to your top speed, you will reach a point where you "want" to use your elbow, but if you really concentrate you can use your wrist. Speeds higher than this you'll revert to elbow picking at this point.

That speed where you could still use your wrist but only if you concentrate should be the maximum that you allow yourself to play. You have to be very strict with yourself, and not give in the temptation to just let rip.

After about a week, start gradually increasing the max speed that you are allowed, but in small increments and pay really close attention that you aren't starting elbow pick.

Realistically, this could be a good month to get the new good habit totally locked in, to where you can go at max speed without elbow spazzing.

And yeah, read the sticky. Tons of good info there.
^ im going to use this method i can do it with power tab. thanks
and if that doesnt work ill go get a cast made to restrain my elbow and forearm movement and play like that till i can tremolo pick correctly (i came u with the idea after i got off UG last night)
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by LawnDwarf
elbow = fail unless your trying to tremolo chords

Even if you're tremolo picking chords you still don't have to and therefore probably shouldn't use your elbow; watch guys like Ihsahn from Emperor playing and you can see that the majority of the movement is wrist-based.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by F8iscruel
^ im going to use this method i can do it with power tab. thanks
and if that doesnt work ill go get a cast made to restrain my elbow and forearm movement and play like that till i can tremolo pick correctly (i came u with the idea after i got off UG last night)

And how would learning to rely on an exterior source of stability improve your control?
Oh...

Believe it or not, I've actually seen what he described done, and i've also seen people tape their arms to walls to make sure that "all the movement comes from the wrist".
Quote by SilverDark
^It didn't cover Tremolo picking.

Proper practice technique goes for any technique including tremolo. You still have to practice slowly and accuratly first to get the technique right.
Quote by Freepower
Believe it or not, I've actually seen what he described done, and i've also seen people tape their arms to walls to make sure that "all the movement comes from the wrist".

Lmao, this made my day!