i got a tele the other day. it is kinda noisy but when i touch the tone or volume knob it quiets down, i'm thinking i need to resolder something but i have no idea what. has anybody ever had this problem and how did you fix it? also the pickup swith is not workin all the time so im thinkin that is loose too
one of the ground wires, could be to the bridge, could be to the switch or from the output jack. but one of the black wires is loose or off.

did you feel like soldering something?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
did i feel like soldering something? not really but i dont want a noisy guitar either. i'll check the black wires. thanks for the info
It wont be grounded correctly. And sounds like the wiring/soldering in general is pretty poor.

Where did u get it from? If its within reach, take it back and get it sorted for free.
Yep, sounds to me like grounding issues. I'm not sure how the grounding works on a Tele though...

Also, maybe try to line the cavity with copper shielding?
Saint Louis Blues
i asked, because some guys hate doing that stuff.

and for them i tell them they can clip a wire to the bridge, tuck a metal end in their waistband and quiet the guitar while playing.

i wasnt trying to be stupid, just letting you know about a quick fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

oh ok i was wondering why you asked that. i dont really hate soldering, i've never done it on a guitar before though, thats why i asked what the problem could be. i can set up a guitar alright but havent done much electrically on them
i got it used from a person off of craigslist. they gave me a discount because of the noise. i figured it wouldnt be a big deal to fix. i just wasnt sure what was the problem
well, on the tele in the picture, the ground Under the bridge wasnt touching the bridge fully. and i was too lazy to take the bridge off, so i did the wire thing a while.

in your case it might be that the switch is the problem. a loose wire there, or a faulty switch.

because you have other switch problems.

or you have two different problems, needing a new switch and have a loose wire.

so also check that both wires are tight on the output jack. usually easy to access and check first.

in case this helps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hopefully its just the switch, but once i get the plate off soldering other things wont be a big deal. i'll prob have to put a new switch on it too. its ok i got a good deal on it. i think i wanna do some other stuff like a ashtray bridge and maybe some better pickups but honestly these dont sound all that bad. Thanks for your help, i'll check out the ground wires and stuff
ok good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

oh yeah, ok cool thanks.

it was fun. mines a fixer-upper, but plays really nice.

an easy mod is to also flip the switch so the knobs are closest to the neck. some guys do this to get the switch it out of the way.
also if you plan on buying 4 -wire pickups and a new switch, you can get a 4-way switch or similar to add additional tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

4 wire pick ups ? is that like they have in the american teles where there is like six different settings? i think ive seen those online. something like that would be fun to do. i'll have to look into it, like i said i havent done much electrically with guitars so itll be somethin new for me, it cant be all that hard to do i wouldnt think
it's not hard. it's very simple.

i just mean, when you look into getting new pickups, make sure check out ones with
4 wires leading from the pickup.
the ones that have 2 wires coming from the pickup, have less wiring options.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

stock squier under plate....

after market duncan rails ....
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

awesome, thanks a lot for the diagrams, i will definitely refer back to them when i start tearing into it