Been looking at some bass amps lately and I found an Ashdown MAG 300 2x10 combo. I enjoyed the tone that came from it but I want to invest my money into something that I can enjoy for many years.

So the person at the store told me that I should get an ABM instead of the MAG as it has a better tone. But the thing is, is the ABM really worth the extra dollars? I mean for the same price of the ABM head, I could get a Gallien Kruger GK700 or a Mark Bass Little Mark.

Another thing is that I play only at church and at home. I don't actively gig anywhere coz I don't have the time. Which leads to the question whether I should invest in a more expensive rig or just settle with the MAG? I am willing to spend $1000 (Australian Dollars) but more than happy to double it if you guys reckon its worth it

any other suggestions are also welcome!
The ABM is a better amp, but I'd try out other stuff just to make sure.

Don't get me wrong though, the MAG is quite good.
Well if you are only gonna use it for church and home then the mag 2x10 should be fine. But then if in the future you may want to actively gig and have to get new gear.

I dunno what prices are for gear etc down under, but i would suggest maybe keeping your eyes peeled for an old Trace Elliot head and some quality 4x10 cab. That said, theres nothing wrong with the ABM. I just wouldnt go for a set up with a 2x10. They always come across as lacking for me. I would go for a 4x10 preferably with an option for a 1x15. Although an 8x10 would be ideal obviously(except for moving the damn thing!)
1) Never "settle" for equipment. Always get the best you can/want.
2) If it's between an Ashdown, a Mark Bass and a GK the Mark Bass wins 1000 times out of 10. Then again I really am not a huge Ashdown or GK fan. If it's between a MAG or an ABM, definitely go with the ABM. It is a mile and half ahead of the MAG.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Never "settle" for equipment. Always get the best you can/want.

that is sorta what I was thinking but I just have this issue with buying expensive gear that won't get used to its full potential.

Argh.....now I am confused as to what amp to get now

There are many more options for me once I double my budget!
That's the other thing: don't rush into a buy. Don't get frustrated with all of the options and then just randomly pick one... I should know about the follies of this method.

*whispers* My Rumble 100 is watching me. *whispers*
Yeah, I totally agree. I did a lot of that when I was playing guitar. I ended up buying all of this gear and regretted it

But I want to get serious about playing bass. I have been playing my bass unplugged for the last month or so coz I want to get a really good and decent amp in my price range without buying a low wattage practice amp and then wishing for something bigger.

I probably need a few more suggestions as to what to look at. I can't find stores where I live which have decent amps worth playing through. Most of the stores have half of their bass amp stock with those bloody behringer things and having store people telling me that the behringer offers the best value for money.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's the other thing: don't rush into a buy. Don't get frustrated with all of the options and then just randomly pick one... I should know about the follies of this method.

*whispers* My Rumble 100 is watching me. *whispers*

We should make a club

*Ampeg BA115 hisses from corner*

If you want an Ashdown, may as well get an ABM.