Poll: How many fingers do you use whilie plucking?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many fingers do you use whilie plucking?
62 52%
29 24%
2 2%
All 5
2 2%
It varies
25 21%
Voters: 120.
Page 1 of 2
How many fingers to you guys use while plucking with your fingers? Ive seen guys just use there index and middle finger while playing but ive also seen for example John Entwistle and Steve Harris use three of there fingers (Index, middle ring). and I know someone who uses all of his fingers which i think is insane. (thumb included) So basicly how many fingers do you guys use? 2, 3, 4, or all 5?

Edit: I myself use 3
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^I'm the same as Ben, except I generally use two. I do love me some all five finger pickin' though.

I never could do that. Does it help to be classicly trained?
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm not classically trained and I do it fine. It's a technique more than a style. All it takes is practise.

ive just been trying to incorperate my pinky lately but so far nothing.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Are you trying to do it the standard way? As in, the same way you would play with two or three fingers? If yes, then that's not what I meant. I meant like classical finger-picking where you thumb lines up horizontally and you use it to pluck the bass note with the other fingers plucking a chord or arpeggio or what have you.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Are you trying to do it the standard way? As in, the same way you would play with two or three fingers? If yes, then that's not what I meant. I meant like classical finger-picking where you thumb lines up horizontally and you use it to pluck the bass note with the other fingers plucking a chord or arpeggio or what have you.

oh yeah i should have known you were talking about doing it like that. the classical way. but yeah i was talking about the standerd way. still using 5 fingers to do that is still pretty impressive.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
I personally see no point in using any more than 3 fingers in "the standard way". It doesn't make any sense. By the time your pinky finger gets around to being played your index finger has been just sitting there for ages. It seems more useful for stamina than for any kind of speed.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I personally see no point in using any more than 3 fingers in "the standard way". It doesn't make any sense. By the time your pinky finger gets around to being played your index finger has been just sitting there for ages. It seems more useful for stamina than for any kind of speed.

yeah more than 3 is definatly ridiculous. i see no point. My friend uses all 5 the standerd way and its just insane.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Trying to get 3 fingers down but im having some trouble doing it without thinking. I find i have more control at the moment with 2 fingers when im playing a bunch of notes on different strings at a fast pace. If im just playing something like dragonforce for example a bunch of fast notes on the same fret for an hour i can use 3 pretty easily, its doing a scale at like 200 bpm with 3 fingers that screws me over .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Aug 28, 2008,
When I do use my fingers I use 2. Lately I've been trying 3 and failing miserably at not getting crossed up and having to think about alternating my fingers.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Trying to get 3 fingers down but im having some trouble doing it without thinking. I find i have more control at the moment with 2 fingers when im playing a bunch of notes on different strings at a face pace. If im just playing something like dragonforce for example a bunch of fast notes on the same fret for an hour i can use 3 pretty easily, its doing a scale at like 200 bpm with 3 fingers that screws me over .

it takes awhile to get used to. Took me a good few months of almost non stop practice to get three fingers goin. You'll get it man.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
3 fingers, tried to do 4 but the pinky gives a different tone and sounds weird. But I occasionally use the pinky when doing octaves as it give it a different sound on the octave.
I have seen several interviews with Steve Harris and he has said that he only uses 2 fingers.
Ride it like ya stole it.
I use 2, im trying to incorperate my third. Im building up to using 5
I use all five like a classical guitar technique, I can use a three finger technique fluently and am now working on my four finger technique.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by detroit
I have seen several interviews with Steve Harris and he has said that he only uses 2 fingers.

he uses 3. Just watch a video of run to the hills.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SoftParade1967
he uses 3. Just watch a video of run to the hills.

He uses two. He LOOKS like he uses three, but he only uses two.

As for me, I use 2, 3 and as Ben and Bales said, 5 in a classical picking context. I was a classically trained guitarist, but only for a couple of years.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Two usually but sometimes she wants more.

Seriously though, i alternate, usually two but more if it calls.
I use two mostly but occasionally throw in my thumb, especially when playing chords.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I use two mostly but occasionally throw in my thumb, especially when playing chords.

The same here, but I guess if you count flamenco style strumming I sometimes use 4.

I also had 2 years of classical guitar training, lol. I actually had to break the habit of holding my hand in the classical position when first playing two fingers on bass.
i normally use 2 but i sometimes use 3 i even use 1 at times
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Nutter_101
He uses two. He LOOKS like he uses three, but he only uses two.

As for me, I use 2, 3 and as Ben and Bales said, 5 in a classical picking context. I was a classically trained guitarist, but only for a couple of years.

well yeah for the steady paced songs he does but for the Gallop like in Children of the Damned or Run to the Hills he uses three to get those tripletes easier. ive watched my fair amount of live fottage of iron maiden.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by SoftParade1967
well yeah for the steady paced songs he does but for the Gallop like in Children of the Damned or Run to the Hills he uses three to get those tripletes easier. ive watched my fair amount of live fottage of iron maiden.

Steve Harris said himself that he ONLY uses two fingers.
Quote by anarkee
The same here, but I guess if you count flamenco style strumming I sometimes use 4.

Oh yeah. I use flamenco strumming too. So 4 there. And sometimes I incorporate the thumb to get another strum in, so 5.

Hell, I use all my fingers.

WHO'S WITH ME?!?!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Depends. Usually 3 (index, middle, ring) but sometimes I throw my pinky in there, too. Then, my thumb and pinky for slapping.
Quote by ele1122
Steve Harris said himself that he ONLY uses two fingers.

show me the interveiw. (Ive been looking but no luck)

edit: cause now im really curious. if he does use two fingers that just makes him even more impressive.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Aug 28, 2008,
I usually use 2. I must admit, my finger technique is horribly inefficient and I should really be practicing it. That way I can try using 3 fingers once I have that down.
i practically live by 2 fingers, i'm a bassist not a bass guitarist
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by SoftParade1967
show me the interveiw. (Ive been looking but no luck)

edit: cause now im really curious. if he does use two fingers that just makes him even more impressive.

The October 06 or 07 issue of Bass Player has an interview where they ask him that question and he says (paraphrasing) "No, it's just the two, actually. Alot of people think it's three..."

OR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOI_JjmYnRQ

He says it in here about halfway through.
Quote by goest
The October 06 or 07 issue of Bass Player has an interview where they ask him that question and he says (paraphrasing) "No, it's just the two, actually. Alot of people think it's three..."

OR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOI_JjmYnRQ

He says it in here about halfway through.

****! **** hes even more impressive then i though he was! that man never ceases to amaze me.
Quote by metalcore123

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Aug 28, 2008,
Page 1 of 2