Hey all,

I've been playing guitar for years and never really took it serious. Since I'm a senior and don't do anything in school I thought I would take guitar a bit serious now.

I love Thrash Metal...period! I don't care about other types of Metal. What scales are commonly used in Thrash Metal? I love solos done by Alex Skolnick from Testament, before he left and came back for the new album.

I'm lost so any help would be appreciated.

\m/
pentatonics (minor, major might work 2)
harmonic
phrygrian
blues

you can also try the Aeolian if you're gonna throw some more classical stuff in there.
Minor, Harmonic Minor, diminished and umm thats about it...
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Classic thrash riffing: Pentatonic scale.

Soloing: Pick random notes that sound in key, play at double speed and you have a thrash solo. Or just dip the whammy bar and play random arpeggios.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by THRASH N BURN
Hey all,

I've been playing guitar for years and never really took it serious. Since I'm a senior and don't do anything in school I thought I would take guitar a bit serious now.

I love Thrash Metal...period! I don't care about other types of Metal. What scales are commonly used in Thrash Metal? I love solos done by Alex Skolnick from Testament, before he left and came back for the new album.

I'm lost so any help would be appreciated.

\m/

Uh does this belong in the thrash thread or somewhere else?

But Alex's stuff is very technical. I believe the Practice solo is pretty much a workout of all the modes.

But most thrash solos are frantic, mindnumbing high register shred runs. Minor, harmonic minor or minor pentatonic should do it.

Or just use all 12 semitones, but make it fluent and sensible. Use of whammy bar (or abuse, if you like KK) is also effective.
Lost interest.
Whatever happened to a bit of chaotic soloing in thrash.... kids these days.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^Refer to my post and Slay's?
Iono, I find that you become way too predictable if you stay within the realms of pentatonic for riffing. I would recommend pentatonic to get a riff structure but atonals are key for me in thrash riffs.

Which reminds me I gotta start working on that thrash gp5 I got going...
Lost interest.
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Soloing: Pick random notes that sound in key, play at double speed and you have a thrash solo. Or just dip the whammy bar and play random arpeggios.

You are so wrong about the riffing. Just chug away on the open E using semi quavers or quaver triplets and sparingly hit random notes on the E, A and (very rarely) D string.

You pretty much nailed the lead work though.