I'm new to the acoustic guitar world, and I had a few questions before I think about picking up an acoustic for myself.
- Looking for a cutaway shape, I need access to the higher frets since I'm coming over from electric, I'll definitely be playing up there. Is there any disadvantage sound wise to having a cutaway?
- Whats a good price range to sit in for an acoustic, I'm hoping to keep this under 1000USD, but I was wondering if there's a substantial difference between a 600$ acoustic to a 1000$ one, I'm talking sound and playability wise?
- What brands/companies are better for certain types of tone, say a bassier acoustic sound, or a more balanced sound for chords and so on.
- Are there certain brands that are easier to play or is that more to do with the action and strings? I've played some acoustics that were quite hard to play and hurt my fingers when holding chords since I'm used to play electric so much, but I've also played much easier playing acoustics that almost seemed like they had nylon strings it was so smooth to play (they were definitely steel or whatever though)
- Any other characteristics I should pay attention to before I try to figure out what acoustic is for me?

I'll only be using this for campfire acoustic work and just for my own entertainment so I'm not looking at getting a professional guitar here, but I definitely want it to sound nice and I'd like to make a well informed purchase so I figured I'd start a thread to inform my acoustic-ignorant self before I go shopping.
Thanks in advance!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
You don't need a cutaway to reach the higher frets. Just look around at some of the best players in the world. They don't need cutaways and nor do they favor them. Apart from that you have opened a can of worms.
Is there any disadvantage sound wise to having a cutaway?

It depends on the individual guitar more than anything. Sometimes you can play an acoustic and it's electric-acoustic counterpart and the standard acoustic will sound better, sometimes its the opposite. As for the cutaway vs no cutaway debate, some say volume and tone are affected due to the reduced resonance space that having a cutaway will rob you of. To that I say 'mmmm, maybe.' Either way the difference, if any, is minimal.

What brands/companies are better for certain types of tone, say a bassier acoustic sound, or a more balanced sound for chords and so on.

This will be dependent on the tonewoods of the individual guitar, not the manufacturer.

Are there certain brands that are easier to play or is that more to do with the action and strings?

Its more to do with the action and the strings but you're going to have to play some guitars and see what's for you. Some necks feel comfortable, others dont. Personal preference.

Whats a good price range to sit in for an acoustic

Well, you get what you pay for. You can get a very good guitar for $600 (US) though.

I was wondering if there's a substantial difference between a 600$ acoustic to a 1000$ one

$400 is a fair step up.
Martins have warm balanced tones. Jumbo bodies have bassier tones. taylors tend to have boomy basses and high trebles. go to the store and try them out for yourself. that's the most important step.

no brand has more playability over another. the quality and construction of the guitar is what matters. the more money you put in, theoretically the easier it will be to play. of course, you can find those great guitars that no one has heard of for 600 that no one has heard of that sounds just as good as 1000 dollar guitars from brand names.

for the cutaway, i recommend against it. my first guitar was a cutaway for looks. i never used the higher frets. even now when i have a parlor sized acoustic, i still see no reason at all to use a cutaway, that's what i have my electric for.

i'll give the taylor dn3 a recommendation. stay away from any taylor under the 3-series and stay away from low end martins that are laminate bodies.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I'll definitely be going into several stores to try them out for myself, I just want to go in somewhat well informed, so I know which ones to pick up and try out when I'm in there, and which would be a waste of my time.

It seems like almost everyone is talking against a cutaway, there must be a reason for that, to me I can easily see myself hitting frets past the 12th fret quite abit, cause even if I am just jamming at a campfire with friends, chances are I'll end up playing quite abit of the riffs I know from electric guitar aswell, but if there is a serious disadvantage to the cutaway then I'm sure I could do without.

Thanks for the Taylor DN-3 recommendation, I'll definitely take a look around for one of those, and I'll stay away from laminate bodied acoustics and lower end martins.

Any other advice would be appreciate
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded