Well I have decided to upgrade to a half stack but I can't decide between a Mesa Boogie or a Marshall. The Mesa Boogie would have a Dual Rectifier head and a 4x12 slant cab. The Marshall would be a AVT-50 head with a MG 4x12 cab. Does anyone here have anything similar? How do you like it? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
1. Mesa Boogie and Marshall are completely different in almost every way tonally.

2. How can you compare an AVT to a Dual Rectumfrier?

That's like a volkswagen to a Camaro.
just go try both of them out somewhere, youtube the amps, or at least check out some reviews for them both. the right one for your style will jump out at you sooner or later with a little research.
Quote by imgooley
1. Mesa Boogie and Marshall are completely different in almost every way tonally.

2. How can you compare an AVT to a Dual Rectumfrier?

That's like a volkswagen to a Camaro.

Yeah, the AVT is a hybrid amp, and a dual rectifier is all tube, and way better. Go for the mesa boogie, unless you feel the marshall is better for your style.
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
that depends on if you like American voicing or British Voicing. the mesa is very American and the Marshall's are notoriously British.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Just going on the relative quality of the two my vote is for the Dual Recto. Nice amp, the Rectos aren't quite my thing but it's very nice, whereas the AVT head is a hybrid that's passable at best and the MG cab SUCKS. On that note, I'd throw my vote in for the Mesa anyway because Mesa cabs are amazing.
I'm gonna have to say the mesa.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm gonna have to say the mesa.

I have no idea why, but I giggled at this post.
Thanks guys. I was originally planning to get the Mesa, but then I saw that the Marshall was going for only $400. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Quote by Highwaytohell
Does the TS reallize how different these amps cost budgetwise?

Yes I know the Mesa is much more expensive. But money doesn't make much difference to me. I easily have enough for either but if I can save money I will.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Last edited by Junior#1 at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
I have no idea why, but I giggled at this post.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Mesa/Boogie. It's all tube and the AVT isn't that great of an amp. It's ok, but nothing special.
The real test between Mesa and Marshall is the Dual Rectifier VS The JVM. The AVT is a low level amp.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12