OK here's the thing, I just changed my strings for the first time on my electric guitar, but now it just goes out of tune all the time, so the title says it all: wtf did I do wrong?!

HELP ME UG!!
^ what he said, and did you stretch them? how did you wrap them around the posts?
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
it takes strings a while to STRETCH OUT. just strum em for a while, then tune up
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
right after you change t he strings it helps to stretch them, by lightly puling them away from the fretboard. and then putting them back in tune. i repeat this a few times with each string and then they stay pretty good.

EDIT: and im pretty sure theres like a thousand videos on youtube on how to restring a guitar if u need help. and i beleive there is a guitar stringing thread on this wesite
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
New strings go out of tune for a whlie
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
If you don't wrap them tightly around the posts they will get loose, happened to me just last Saturday.
Well I removed the old strings and put new strings, but the stringsare so f****g long compared to my old strings and they're all messed up on the tuners because they are too long, so can I cut the strings with scisors or something?

cheers
make sure you didnt leave any space were the strings go in the tuner, that will always make it go out for ever, you know were the string loops around the tuner, make sure its flush like a circle
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by Sguit
Well I removed the old strings and put new strings, but the stringsare so f****g long compared to my old strings and they're all messed up on the tuners because they are too long, so can I cut the strings with scisors or something?

cheers

yes after you have put the strings on you can cut off the excess length at the top
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Every time I put new strings on, I bend them before going completely in tune, and work my way up there bending and stretching.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Every time I put new strings on, I bend them before going completely in tune, and work my way up there bending and stretching.

I just tune a string correctly and then stretch it by using my right hand to it up or down without pressing it to the fret board. I check the tuning, and it's lower than before. I tune it again, and move on to the next string to repeat the process. Go through the strings a few times, and you'll have your strings staying in tune that very day.
Cut the excess before you put the string on. Run the string straight up to the peg when it is connected to the bridge. Measure 2 pegs higher and cut it from there.
Then run it through the peg and wind it.

Also once you've got your string in and in tune, grab it at the pickups/soundhole and give it a good few pulls up to stretch it in.
Either it's cause the strings are new, or you did it wrong. You can easily find guides to stringing guitars on google.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by rageagainst64
it takes strings a while to STRETCH OUT. just strum em for a while, then tune up

You stretch the strings as you tune them. Otherwise it would take ages for them to stabilize
Been away, am back