Poll: Art or you child?
Poll Options
View poll results: Art or you child?
Screw the kid. I was an artist before I even had kids.
32 34%
My baby needs her own room.
46 48%
Other.
17 18%
Voters: 95.
I was going to the kitchen when I overheard a TV show my mom was watching. Sounded like one of those shows that remodel/clean up peoples homes really cheap.

Anyway, just from what I heard, the husband and wife are artists and they have a room for creating art. I'm going to assume they are painters, but they could be alot of things. So, the people on the show wanted them to give up that room for their daughter to have as a bedroom.

I've seen alot of shows where people have to sacrifice real junk. But, this is art, not junk and by the sound of it, it is also their livelihood or at least a passion the husband and wife both share. At first it seemed like they were willing to give in, but the husband changed his mind and the host or whoever said, "Ok, so you wanna go tell your daughter she isn't getting a room anymore?" and he said, "Ok."

Now, like I said, I don't have the whole story, so I'm going to make the rest up. I'm going to assume that they have another child and the daughter and this other child currently share a room. I am also going to assume that the parents need this room because it is a part of their livelihood. And if there was another room in the house to use as an art room, they would use it, but it's a small house.

Now, put yourself in the parents shoes. You are an artist (we're all musicians here) and you got some tv butt wipe telling you that you have to give up this room for your kid even though you need it for creating your art. What would you do?
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I don't know... I'd move into a bigger house, and if my "livelihood" couldn't afford that I probably should have thought about that before I had another kid. Or I'd buy one of those sheds that are like mini houses and paint in there haha
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Id give up my room and sleep on the couch till the kid was old enough or I got a bigger house.
Quote by andy_thomas
That depends, when you look at a map is west left or right?

If you think I care about what you say to me you are sadly mistaken.
Quote by thundrstruk891
definitely not. i cant wait to be a dad. seriously, im looking forward to it. my livelihood, and especially my hobbies, will never come before my kids.

Im 16 and cant wait to have kids!!! I already got names!!! Guy = Synyster and Girl = Elizabeth!
Quote by andy_thomas

Tough

I know that if I have a kid, I'm going to name it Heywood, and its middle name would be Jablomie.

Heywood Jablomie.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
If you're going to have kids it's a serious matter, you've gotta think it all the way through and you're a ****ty parent if you prioritize your art before your child's well being. I wouldn't for instance have a kid if I knew I couldn't afford to support and bring him/her up properly and that includes having their own room.
the kid can have any room in the house, except the basement.

thats my jam/rec/chill room. drum kit, guitars, basses, amps, keyboards, pool table, foosball, tv, couches and a bathroom.

or if i dont have the space, i better have enough room to store my gear then. id always put my kid in front of music
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Theys makes thee pron in there! :O:
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
I actually saw the show you're talking about. It's called Wife Swap. Two families trade wives/mothers for two weeks where conflicts and hilarity ensue.

Basically what happened was a woman came to live with a family who are really into art and such. She saw that they have three kids who all share a single room. She also saw that there's a room dedicated to the paintings of the wife in the house. She suggested that the the oldest daughter use that room as her bedroom instead of the tiny room she shared with her siblings.

They eventually transformed the family's den or something into her room... But that family was ****ing nuts. They forced the kids to be vegetarians, ride bikes everywhere, and practice instruments they didn't like everyday. The only things the kids ever did for fun was lay stones on the ground and break them with golf clubs...
i defintely would. why would i put a physical item before a real human being? shallow and ignorant much?
Ummm, there's always the basement or the attic.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
It is my room to make a living to provide for my family. She can have a room for a month until the house gets foreclosed because I can not pay my bills and then we can be homeless! What fun! That is provided I would have children...yuck. Anyway, the child survival depends completely on my income and it is my house, I make the rules if you don't like it get out.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by Souphead2000
Im 16 and cant wait to have kids!!! I already got names!!! Guy = Synyster and Girl = Elizabeth!

That made me a little sick, not because I hate AX7, but because you hate your kids enough to them that dumb of a name. But if that's waht you want to name him, go ahead.

Elizabeth is fine
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Just a little prediction on the 'what if' side of things:

the parents DO give up their room for the daughter. Some years later, the husband and wife are having yet another argument as a result of increasing stress and the husband's screaming resentment at having his dreams of being an artist be replaced with a bedroom. He will of course blame this on the wife, and they'll get a divorce, screwing the kid's life up.

The kid can share a room with her baby sister. I shared a room with mine, and it didn't ruin my life like my parents getting a divorce would have. I think you're all seriously underestimating the difficulty of keeping a marriage together, and how much of an impact this would have.
Having and raising children can be an art..

That's actually a tough call for me, and I'm ashamed to say that, but I just really love art (especially music). However, seeing as how a children is a living creature I'd probably feel compelled to put it first.
Quote by dubstar92
That made me a little sick, not because I hate AX7, but because you hate your kids enough to them that dumb of a name. But if that's waht you want to name him, go ahead.

Elizabeth is fine

Dude that would be the most Metal kid ever!!!!! And Im totaly naming him that!
Quote by andy_thomas

Yeah, I saw part of that. Stupid, selfish people. They need to be reminded that kids aren't pets. And about the sharing a room thing, I shared a room until I was 11 or 12 but it wasn't because my parents "needed" a room for art. It was because even though my dad was working his hardest to give his family a good life, we couldn't afford a bigger house.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
No. If I had a room for guitar, I wouldn't even have to think about giving it up for one of my kids.
I lived my entire childhood without my own room. My kids can do the same.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
kids can share a room. ive been sharing one with my brother for 16 years. its really not a big deal.

now if its a really small room that isnt meant for 2 people to share, then give up the other room. its your children. if you werent prepared to make sacrifices for your children, then you shouldnt have had them.

also, if one child is a boy, and the other a girl, they definitely shouldnt be sharing a room unless they are both like 3-4 years old.
My spare bedroom is a music studio, hence why i dont want to have kids. A lot of people have kids to try and make up their own failings or to stick with the norm.
Tough ****, what's so bad about sharing a room with a sibling. Personally I think it would be great for the kids as it would make them all have a close relationship with eachother.
Member of Australia FTW Club !

BASS RIG BUDGET $245 / $4900

Quote by UG
thank you zackR .
I made the thread and left it alone, so now I'm gonna to comment on some of the more valid points.

Quote by daytripper75
kids can share a room. ive been sharing one with my brother for 16 years. its really not a big deal.

now if its a really small room that isnt meant for 2 people to share, then give up the other room. its your children. if you werent prepared to make sacrifices for your children, then you shouldnt have had them.

also, if one child is a boy, and the other a girl, they definitely shouldnt be sharing a room unless they are both like 3-4 years old.

1. I shared a room with my brother for years and I hated it. It wasn't too unbearable. Worse for him cause I had the bed and he had the floor. He declined a mattress. His fault But, I agree with you on this.

2. Sometimes people don't intend of having children. They just do. Let's not make this about adoption or abortions. Point is accidents happen and many people keep the children.

3. Agreed.

Quote by musiclover2399
Any one who puts anything above their kids doesn't deserve to have children.

Maybe you're doing it to have a work space so that you may be able to provide for your children.

Quote by zackR
Tough ****, what's so bad about sharing a room with a sibling. Personally I think it would be great for the kids as it would make them all have a close relationship with eachother.

I agree with that... sorta... I think it can benefit some people. But, I think sharing a room with my brother is the reason I don't like speaking to him. Then again, might just be the way I grew up. We always fought.

Quote by mrcrono
I actually saw the show you're talking about. It's called Wife Swap. Two families trade wives/mothers for two weeks where conflicts and hilarity ensue.

Basically what happened was a woman came to live with a family who are really into art and such. She saw that they have three kids who all share a single room. She also saw that there's a room dedicated to the paintings of the wife in the house. She suggested that the the oldest daughter use that room as her bedroom instead of the tiny room she shared with her siblings.

They eventually transformed the family's den or something into her room... But that family was ****ing nuts. They forced the kids to be vegetarians, ride bikes everywhere, and practice instruments they didn't like everyday. The only things the kids ever did for fun was lay stones on the ground and break them with golf clubs...

I like my take on it better. Less crazy, more conflicting. Not so cut and dry.

Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
Just a little prediction on the 'what if' side of things:

the parents DO give up their room for the daughter. Some years later, the husband and wife are having yet another argument as a result of increasing stress and the husband's screaming resentment at having his dreams of being an artist be replaced with a bedroom. He will of course blame this on the wife, and they'll get a divorce, screwing the kid's life up.

The kid can share a room with her baby sister. I shared a room with mine, and it didn't ruin my life like my parents getting a divorce would have. I think you're all seriously underestimating the difficulty of keeping a marriage together, and how much of an impact this would have.

Maybe...

Quote by technicolour
Having and raising children can be an art..

That's actually a tough call for me, and I'm ashamed to say that, but I just really love art (especially music). However, seeing as how a children is a living creature I'd probably feel compelled to put it first.

That's a stretch...
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
At first it seemed like they were willing to give in, but the husband changed his mind and the host or whoever said, "Ok, so you wanna go tell your daughter she isn't getting a room anymore?" and he said, "K, koo."

He should have said that instead.
He might have.
Quote by Article