Being a fan of anything insanely progressive of technical i always admire ridiculous bassists that can pull off techniques like sweeping for example Michael LePond from Symphony X.

Anyways can anyone give me a lesson of some sort to help me get the different shapes and patterns of sweeping? All i can find on youtube is some guy that is horrible at explaining and just goes on and on.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Well you have to have be able to MAKE the movement to sweep before. Most people who sweep on bass either use 3 or 4 plucking fingers fluently, or can double thump well. Once you can do that, sweeping is fairly easy.

As for shapes? If you know any theory, getting some decent shapes isn't hard at all. Just take an A minor for starters, and play it across all four strings.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can't get the finger picking speed or accuracy down, I find that tapping the sweep shape is a really good alternative.

+1 I usually tap arpeggios instead of sweeping, although playing similar to classical guitar works pretty good too.

There's a lesson on bass sweeping on here also, It was just added not that long ago. All you have to know is which chords are in what key and the notes that make up that chord to do arpeggios though really.
Can anyone suggest some songs with bass sweeps in?
Something I wanted to try but not really listened to Symphony X
Quote by AmpleSteak
Being a fan of anything insanely progressive of technical i always admire ridiculous bassists that can pull off techniques like sweeping for example Michael LePond from Symphony X.

Anyways can anyone give me a lesson of some sort to help me get the different shapes and patterns of sweeping? All i can find on youtube is some guy that is horrible at explaining and just goes on and on.

in what song does he sweep? are you talking about his fills in the divine wings?

I'd use a pick for that... only thing for which I'd use a pick
(not saying that it's bad but that I like playing with fingers more)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
For sweeping I find it easiest to sweep downward with my thumb and then hammer on all the notes when ascending. Though sometimes I'll use my index finger to rake upwards.
Quote by SHEEM
Wait, Thomas Miller played TDWOT.

yes you are right,
damn didn;t sound like him

that means he also played sea of lies, are well... still think lepond is better + he looks like a pirate

there's a lesson about sweeping btw on this site!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
yes you are right,
damn didn;t sound like him

that means he also played sea of lies, are well... still think lepond is better + he looks like a pirate

there's a lesson about sweeping btw on this site!

Link me it! I searched in the search bar couldn't find it...
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i sweep up with my thumb and down with my index finger, i typically practice with this

-------------9h12p9----------------
----------9-------------9-------------
------10------------------10-----------
--12--------------------------12-------

just a simple Em arpeggio
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^