Now..I'm not exactly willing to dish out 1600 for an Ibanez 8, so the easy alternative would be the ESP 8 string ( http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_fm408.html )

now my concern is..will i be let down by this?? is it a bad guitar?? the only thing that really concerns me is the smaller fret scale..how much of an impact will that have?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
ESP's have a good reputation from what I know. 8 strings are awesome; very diverse in tone! I think you should go for it.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
I wont downtune an 8 string as there is no need. Just because someone people can not write music that utilizes an 8th string without it sounded like ****ty generic metalcore doesnt mean everyone is like that.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by necroscience13
my question is why would you want one? just to play crappy down tuned riffs

+1
Give the bass some space. 7 strings is one thing, but 8 is too much.
Btw, the basswood on both guitars' bodies lends a very midrangey tone to the lowest notes. It won't hold the fundamental tone well.
8-string bashing aside, I'm sure their 8-strings are great guitars. ESP makes good guitars.
Quote by Nightfyre
+1
Give the bass some space. 7 strings is one thing, but 8 is too much.
Btw, the basswood on both guitars' bodies lends a very midrangey tone to the lowest notes. It won't hold the fundamental tone well.
8-string bashing aside, I'm sure their 8-strings are great guitars. ESP makes good guitars.

I don't gig at the moment, I record on my own. I can mix and master my bass tracks to accommodate the 8 string. and if I did gig eventually, I have a 7 if need be.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
There are two low cost ESP's 8's, the FM408 and the SC608B. The SC608B is Mahogany, the FM408 is basswood. Agile guitars also makes a couple even lower priced 8 strings, but the first batch is not quite finished. They should be delivered in the next couple weeks. If the 2nd batch is the same then they will be very hard to get, but it should be larger, and easier to find for sale.

Also, ignore the stuff said by nightfyre and particularly necroscience. People say stuff like that all the time without realizing that 8 strings can be used many ways--One for down tuned riffs. Two to play bass and lead lines together. 3 for new chord voicings, arpeggio shapes, and lower available chords with less position shifting if your soloing. 4, the 8th string added can be an A above the high E, giving again more chord voicing and shapes, and a greater range to do lead work in. And people seem to see 7's and 8's as being for metal only--they originated in jazz and classical. Now, if you two were just assuming that he would just be riffing on it, you need to learn not to judge people (though the user title does hint at this). Overall though, there's plenty of creative room to use an 8 string though, so there's no point in senselessly telling people not to use them. IF YOU DON"T LIKE THEM, DON"T USE THEM. Don't try to convince other people not to as well.
Honestly, I'd say if you really want an 8, you'll probably be better off with the Ibanez. The double locking system is going to hold the tune much better. But because that's expensive, my advice is simply this:

Wait.

There have been rumors floating around that Schecter is making an 8 string guitar, and if they do, I'd be willing to bet it's better than the LTD. But that's just me, I know I'm really thinking about the Ibanez in the future, but I'm going to let the market expand a bit more before I buy. There's only 4-6 8 strings you can buy off the selves now, and that's not a lot. I'm going to wait until there's a bit more selection before I make a choice.

8 string with EMG's, neck thru, ebony fretboard, and an OFR anyone? :lick:
Quote by TheShred201
There are two low cost ESP's 8's, the FM408 and the SC608B. The SC608B is Mahogany, the FM408 is basswood. Agile guitars also makes a couple even lower priced 8 strings, but the first batch is not quite finished. They should be delivered in the next couple weeks. If the 2nd batch is the same then they will be very hard to get, but it should be larger, and easier to find for sale.

Also, ignore the stuff said by nightfyre and particularly necroscience. People say stuff like that all the time without realizing that 8 strings can be used many ways--One for down tuned riffs. Two to play bass and lead lines together. 3 for new chord voicings, arpeggio shapes, and lower available chords with less position shifting if your soloing. 4, the 8th string added can be an A above the high E, giving again more chord voicing and shapes, and a greater range to do lead work in. And people seem to see 7's and 8's as being for metal only--they originated in jazz and classical. Now, if you two were just assuming that he would just be riffing on it, you need to learn not to judge people (though the user title does hint at this). Overall though, there's plenty of creative room to use an 8 string though, so there's no point in senselessly telling people not to use them. IF YOU DON"T LIKE THEM, DON"T USE THEM. Don't try to convince other people not to as well.

Don't worry, I've learned that most retards think that everyone is as creatively devoid as they are. Also the br00talz thing is subtle mockery
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups